Couple of Q's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Q's

Coming from 2142 as far as the TG side of things, I've played a bit of eve before, more than a year ago, played for trial + month, and due to at the time playing wow ect, couldnt afford the time or money of both. Now, I'm sort of interested inc oming back. ( Still can't really afford but meh, I need something in this gametype, and playing old Escape Velocity only takes you so far) I do know about the TG channel and the other stuff that's in the top couple of posts and some of the stickies, so if when I do get in I will be joining channels ect. ( Need to if roads are too bad to do errands today sit down and spend 10 hours reading wiki's forums ect to catch up)

My questions were, what are trial accounts restricted in if anything? Ie chat or trade restrictions? Have a friend I just wanted him to watch a video, but now he's going to give a trial a try, I dont think it's going to be his thing at all, but would nice to be able to trial with each other or if my account is intact with good stuff help him out myself.

From an email I got, I think the person I sold my old account for a profit to may have quit, so I need to investigate resubbing from that account, assuming I can do that, anyone know if theres some way to see what a character has on them or skill wise, don't want to log on after paying and find him with terrible skills/lost skills due to being podded, or have nothing but a little transport shuttle, and no Karackle missile cruiser ( or something like that I had before I quit, was a size or 2 up from frigate, think it may have looked like a flying wing, but I dont think it was crazy expensive big raven). As a off topic question, at the time they had finished nerfing missiles ( esp versus small stuff?) and I was wondering how gimped are going with gimped missile caldori ships I think it was is? I know it was funny when I had to go back and go and get rid of a medium missile or two for some smaller ones for combat missions versus drones.

Another thread said you could buy your subscription with in game ISK? 0.o How hard is it to make $200 mill? I can't remember if it was 10 mill or 100 mil I'd made on my own easy in that month for all my ship/gear.

Thank you for your time anyone who reads/responds, dont think there is probably all that many active readers here, as the game is relatively small still despite its large growth in the last year and a half.
    His duty is honour itself. Even his death - If it is honourable - is a reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear.-
    Roboute Guilliman,Primarch of the Ultramarines

-EVE: Naune

Re: Couple of Q's

Clearly, folk need encouraging, perhaps try listening to my hero Picard for 4 minutes while coming up with a insightful reply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb1et...eature=related
    His duty is honour itself. Even his death - If it is honourable - is a reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear.-

Comment

There are some skills restricted to non-trial accounts but most of them you won't be able/need to train anyway. No chat restriction or anything. Honestly the starting characters are pretty well off now so i'd just start a new one. Most of us are game to toss a newbie a couple mil to get properly started. My advice would be to get the attributes balanced with perception being highest by 2 or 3 points, then intelligence, willpower and memory being even or approximately even, and charisma being the lowest. Most characters can start with a t2 weapon of the racial type or at least one lvl V skill. The attributes are far more important than the starting skills if you plan to play for more than a month or two but the starting skillset can get you a nice kickoff into the game.

My personal suggestion if you're looking to pvp is minmatar or gallente starting characters. Minmatar can fly a pretty good rifter (t1 frigate) within a day or two and gallente can fly a vexor (drone specialized cruiser) within about a week to a week and a half with good skills to boot. If you're looking for the best stats Caldari Achura take the prize with Amarr Khanid being second.

Missiles are still probably the easiest weapon system to train for and torps have gotten quite good for pvp (BS class weapon you won't need to worry about for a while.) Caldari are still the kinds of PVE and due to Trinity they're pretty good in pvp now and competitive in areas where they weren't before (damage dealing BS and one of the best recons/awesome ewar frig being the big ones).

You can in fact pay for your game time in isk. Runs about 200mil/month or 400/3 months. That's not very hard to make on a highly skilled character that can run lvl 4 missions easily or a decent industrialist but as a new character it's going to be a challenge.

If you have any other questions join the channel MCREW-PUB in game (MCREW is where most of the TGers in EVE are) and/or send me a PM here or drop me a mail in game on the character Inara Tam and i'll be sure to give you a terribly long, thorough, and possibly confusing answer ;)

Edit: The Picard song, despite being older than the hills, still makes me giggle a little. But tbh it's all about Technoviking

---

Comment

So basically starting chars get more than they used to? Waiting a day or two to see if person I sold my account to is still playing, if it has months of SP's, I'd think that's still usefull over a t2 weap? If I start a fresh character, I'll be setting it up like I'm playing long term I think. does that mean to choose stats, I forfit the uber frigate 4 and such skills?

Pvp will probably be the idea eventually. ( Other chars on account cant train sp at same time right? Or might have the 2nd one for industry perhaps, though thought that was complicated). Never knew much about drones, my missile cruiser whatever it was had a few drones I was playing with.

Now you have me still torn, missiles, or something with guns, I dont remember well enough, and need to do some more reading, I'm torn on fast medium ships, or hopefully getting big huge things some day ect. Guees the big things are more dependant on being in a corp with fleets and the like. Though not sure how well my schedule can work within that kind of thing ( college + soon to be law enforcement.) How competitive is a big time drone ship?

And someone else who has accepted technoviking as their savior.

PS: There is 100% no way that name is anything else but Firefly reference right?

Comment

You arn't allowed to transfer accounts anymore, you have to pay to transfer chars between accounts, so you'll risk getting banned if you change the account details and the person who's been using that account isn't happy with it or decided to come back themselves ect ect.

Start a new char, you get like 800k starting SP, on amarr you can get small laser level 5, gallente can get drones level 5 and such. The problem I have with Gal chars is the stats suck for pvp chars imo. Sounds like you were a caldari and used a caracal when you played last, can't go wrong with caldari tbh. The only really annoying thing to lose is learning skills as they don't open up anything in the game, they just speed up skills once you've done them, but doing level 1's and 2's of skills to open up ships/modules while doing learning skills overnight is a good way to open up the game while getting the learning skills done to speed up the level 4's and 5's for specializing your char's skills quickly.

Only 1 char can train at one time per account. On one account I trained a trading char then a research char and finally is training a combat char. Took about 2 or 3 months each for the trading char and research char to get there skills up.

I wouldn't worry to much about how effective each weapon/race you pick is, they all have there particular strengths and weaknesses, none of them are great at everything, but theres usually a different ship in the races lineup that can perform a different role for a gang. Like if your drone spec'd and are part of a sniper gang which drone ships are bad at you could fly inty/cruiser sized and perform tackling for the snipers or anti-tackling role.

http://eve.idefix.net/career/ - Check this for some of the new chars specs you can create.

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingamebo...hreadID=242786 - Tips on training learning skills (updated with the adv learning skill requirement changes).

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingamebo...hreadID=472543 - Shows what attributes each race can get.

Comment

Not planning on stealing it back, trying to get ahold of them, as far as I can tell, I think he had only changed the password since I was getting the emails to re-activate and such.

Definatly need to spend another day reading stuff. I knew stuff was balanced, so didnt mean it as which is the god ship, more like I just don't know what I'd like best, and what would maybe be the least constricting if I wanted to do something else. Problem is I think, one could spend just an entire school year studying the game mechanics and ships and all that just trying to understand that. You were right about race/ship btw.

For the gallente thing, the stats that you think are bad, I take it you cannot distribute them in a way you want to avoid that? (Was it each race had a bonus I think perhaps?) Looking down that first link I barely know what I'm looking at lol, definatly more than my old char started with, I guees just pick something with lot's of 5's. EDIT: Ok, from reading other things, I understand it to be, base race stats, modified by profession/traits whatever they are called then 5 anywhere points. (

Edit: So some of the Torps are getting good for pvp, but if I'm interested in anything besides ratting and doing combat npc missions, ( read pvp or somesuch) It would be wiser perhaps to go with something else? Heck I dont know what the other options are, drones, lasers, physical/arty? Perfectionist has me tweaking out a bit over what to choose/do lol.
            Last edited by Datzl; 12-27-2007, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Each race has it's own advantages/disadvantages and styles of combat and tbh they're all somewhat balanced to it's up to personal preference.

Caldari: Racial weapons are Railguns (long range hybrid) and Missiles. Tend to keep some range over the other races and are more gang ships than solo. Racial EWAR is ECM jammers and racial tanking system is shield.

Amarr: Racial Weapons are lasers (both beam and pulse) and racial tank is armor (somewhat geared towards damage soak passive tanks rather than active tanks). Racial ewar is nos/neuts (somewhat nerfed atm) and tracking disruptors. Kind of the pvp underdogs. Require lots of very focused sp to be effective.

Gallente: Racial Weapons are drones and hybrids (usually blasters) and tend to active armor tank with a few passive and maybe even some shield on unorthodox setups. Racial EWAR is sensor dampeners which got hit by the nerfbat pretty hard after trinity and the introduction of scripts. Recons also have range bonus to warp scramblers. Quite a few extremely good ships. Generally have an "up close and personal" combat philosophy.

Minmatar: Racial Weapons are projectiles (artillery and autocannons) sometimes missiles and occasionally drones. They use everything to tank, sometimes speed, sometimes armor, sometimes shield. Minmatar generally have a grab-bag of required skills for each ship seeing as they're very ADD in their focus. This keeps their sp requirement to be effective pretty high but in more diverse places than amarr (read: everything and the kitchen sink). Racial ewar is target painters and their recons have range bonuses to webs.

Gallente can get a relatively even-statted character but not as min-maxed as an Achura. A jin mei with +1 per +2 int and mem is all even 7s then choosing the +4 caste will bring it to all 7s with an 11 in perc which isn't bad.

---

Comment

Ok, so found out that no one is playing on the account, no one has logged in since about a week or 2 after it was sold in Sept 2005. Which would mean I have a month and a half of skills + 6-10 mill + missile Caracal and I think a merlin. Assuming none of this was destroyed or sold off. I can take the trinity promotion to subscribe for $10

Do you think the above would be worth resubbing for the first month to confirm whats left and go from there, or are the above mentioned new pilot starting bonuses/skills and I thought I heard someone say ship in some cases going to out do what I used to have.

Comment

You can always resub and use one of the character slots for a new character. You can only train one at a time so you'd have to choose which one you want to keep. TBH a month and a half of skills isn't worth having weird stats, especially when you'll probably get to that sp level in a week or two with a new character.

---

Comment

Heh, oh man, that was a duh on check it out and just start a new one if its all fubared. ( You can delete cant you?) Another draw back I guees is that somehow I apparently named myself after someone I knew in wow, which I have no idea how, perhaps my usual names were taken.

I can check the stats and relay them here, to see if they are fubared ( perhaps upload the character onto one of those character profile places?) So after what youve said, I wonder which is better deal, 2 week free trial then sub for $15/mo or sub for $10 for first month. Purely monetary, 2 weeks = 7.50 versus 5 saved with cheaper sub, but I'm still tempted by potentially larger gains if my character actually had good stats chosen and what not. ( And also potential loot to give to a new character)

PS: Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Comment

Honestly if you're all for min/maxing your stats you're never gonna beat an achura. I'd just resub the old account to get the stuff your first char had and give it to a new one.

---

Comment

Ok, subbed for the first month, about to log in but it appears new character is in order, old one had the money given away if the Eve insider character info is correct, only 875k skill points, and stats are pathetic aha. Not sure if these include one implant I think I had, int 9 perc 5 cha 6, will 6 mem 13. So if money given away, pretty sure there will be no caracal. Oh well, with those stats, could perhaps make it an industry character at some point? But then again skill in non that stuff, so goes back to might as well make a new one.

Holding off till the morning for making my char due to being sleepy and want to think on a thing or two. Started somethign training on my old char for the hell of it, and definatly appears as someone podded themself seeing as I no longer have missile skills/stuff for flying a caracal. But somehow have mining 5 and a few other 5's that I wouldnt have trained. Person managed to wreck a lot in a week.
                        Last edited by Datzl; 12-29-2007, 01:50 AM.

Comment

If you only had 850k SP, just roll a new one. All new chars start with around 800k now, and, as Penguin has pointed out, you can get much better starting stats now.
                          Do or do not, there is no try....
                          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

From what I read, you can get same max stats, you just start pre leveled in some of the learning = higher. But yes, being podded and converted to a miner character = roll a new one esp w/ jacked stats.

Right now my issue is deciding on my 5 pts, so far its caldari archura inventor. Giving me stats of 3cha /12 int /6mem/ 7per /6 will debate is I'm pretty sure of 3 pts in per, after that do I boost mem to 8 or 1 each in will/mem. Or should I actually go w/ a different ancestry. (12/8/10/6 or 12/7/10/7) without cha listed.

Or I could do Monk, for 3 cha 8 int, 6mem, 9 per, 8 will, and put 2 int, 1 per, 2 mem for 10/8/10/8 on the real stats or perhaps 10/6/12/8 Though think 6 mem would suck.

NM, didnt know proffession would also give me int/will. So Wound up 12/8/12/10. Would prefer higher mem, but can only go 1 pt higher at cost of per.
                            Last edited by Datzl; 12-29-2007, 11:41 AM.

Comment

ermmm for pvp you want high perception.

My main is screwed in perception and its a pain, my amarr char has same perception when created as my main does with learning skills done and implants in (19).

Theres many more 4+ ranked skills that need perception for a combat char (ships, weapons ect) than there are fitting, tank and such skills which are all mostly less than rank 3 and fewer.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X