Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question or two...

First, Tech Questions!

Firstly, does anyone play this game on a Mac? I'm going to be recieving a Macbook Pro from my college, and wanted to know if there is anything important I should know in that regard.

Secondly, I don't know whether the Macbook Pro I will be recieving will be a 13", or 15"/17". The difference is that the 13" only has a motherboard based GPU, whereas the 15/17" has a discrete GPU, like your average graphics card. Out of the box, how well will it run EVE? How well should it run on low graphics, and how well on high?
    And, a corp/gameplay question

I had a thought, that since EVE has been host to many spy/sabotage affairs, how well would a spy corporation fair?

Can you have a scout ship to observe a target's fleet without being spotted? I've seen videos where it seemed that all the ships on the screen have an indicator on them, which makes it seem that it would be hard if not impossible to kind of 'recon' an enemy base from long distance without being spotted.

How feasible would it be for that ship to, say, follow a ship? If a ship is carrying goods that the other corporation wants, could the scout ship follow the ship, then get an assassination team to kill the target when it reaches them?

How much do you think people would pay for an in-game spying service? It would be divided into Reconaissance, Infiltration, Thievery, and Assassination. To get one service would cost x, and if any other services would be needed to perform the service, it would cost y more.

Does the game show the names of other players? Is it possible for an assassination team to sneak up, kill, and then retreat and not be identified by others to watch out for?
    Just a curiousity on that one, I don't think I would personally pull myself to do that kind of work nonstop in the game, I could only manage setting them up and laying down ground-rules. I just think it would be absolutely magnificent to see that kind of truly open-ended gameplay at work.

Re: A question or two...

You can use covert-ops to fly undetected following ships. As far as them not knowing who is attacking them NO. The minute u attack they will know who u are. There are plenty of mercenary corps in the game, that do just what u are talking about.

Comment

I can't answer anything about the first question, I own a PC and don't know anything about Macs. But I can answer the 2nd bit.

Can you have a scout ship to observe a target's fleet without being spotted? I've seen videos where it seemed that all the ships on the screen have an indicator on them, which makes it seem that it would be hard if not impossible to kind of 'recon' an enemy base from long distance without being spotted. You can, but you need a covert ops cloak on a covert ops ship. Also it depends on the area you're in, in high sec you won't need anything as long as you're not at war w/ the people, and those people you're observing won't have a clue that you're spying on them.

How feasible would it be for that ship to, say, follow a ship? If a ship is carrying goods that the other corporation wants, could the scout ship follow the ship, then get an assassination team to kill the target when it reaches them? A scout ship can follow a cargo ship or any other ship, but it'd be difficult to set up a forward team to kill the cargo ship unless you know his exact path which is nearly impossible unless he's hauling a lot of gear around. Also the person may/may not become suspicious of you following them, depends mainly on the security of the system (high sec/low sec/null sec), how cautious the person is, and how full/empty the system is.

How much do you think people would pay for an in-game spying service? It would be divided into Reconaissance, Infiltration, Thievery, and Assassination. To get one service would cost x, and if any other services would be needed to perform the service, it would cost y more. Just depends on how hard it would be to infiltrate and scout the target corp/alliance. But I don't know of a set price to work around b/c its not the kind of espionage I mess w/. But recon, infiltration, and thievery would be possible... assassination would be difficult though b/c it also depends on the security status of the system. If the system is high sec then you're forced to be at war w/ the people or you're forced to suicide gank the people. If low sec/null sec you could find the person, use a locater agent thats near the area the target hangs out around and then pay the agent to find the person and quickly move to that area after the agent gives you the info.

Does the game show the names of other players? Is it possible for an assassination team to sneak up, kill, and then retreat and not be identified by others to watch out for? It does show the names of other players, and you could sneak into an area, target a single person and obliterate them and get out of the area. Just depends on how fast you/your fleet is and how much damage you/your fleet is doing, as well as what the target ship is.

Comment

Geez Havok, you're all over the place aren't you! Good to see I know someone playing the game already.

How does the cloak work? Is it a skill that just requires a 'recharge' time to use again? Does it last only for a certain amount of time/takes away 'energy'? Is it an item? Can the cloak be used while moving to allow you to follow the target's transport ship or whatever?

I figure it would be hard to figure out where they are going, isn't there a warp drive or something? Is it hard to really follow them using warp, or is it relatively easy to tell when their warp will end/you should end yours?

Anything interesting I should know about the game otherwise?

As for the TechSpecs of the Macbook...
        The 13-inch MacBook Pro
        features the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics processor
        The 17-inch MacBook Pro and select 15-inch models
        have an advanced graphics architecture that employs both the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated and NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT discrete graphics processors.
        It seems that the integrated processor on the 13" handles CoD4 pretty smoothly out of the box on Bootcamp (bootcamp = playing on Windows through the Mac computer), so I wouldn't think EVE would kill it too hard on graphics, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
          How does the cloak work? Is it a skill that just requires a 'recharge' time to use again? Does it last only for a certain amount of time/takes away 'energy'? Is it an item? Can the cloak be used while moving to allow you to follow the target's transport ship or whatever?

I figure it would be hard to figure out where they are going, isn't there a warp drive or something? Is it hard to really follow them using warp, or is it relatively easy to tell when their warp will end/you should end yours?

Anything interesting I should know about the game otherwise?
          Cloaking devices are a high-slot module (occupy the same slot as weapons) which don't use any power or require a recharge time, although there are reuse and targeting delays after you toggle it off. Cloaks can be activated indefinitely. You'll be decloaked by anything within 2km of your ship. You cannot activate modules or target objects while cloaked.

There are 2 types of cloaking device modules:

1. Prototype and Improved cloaking devices. These greatly hinder your velocity and force you to wait several seconds after you decloak in order to target anything. In addition to these drawbacks, you cannot warp while cloaked or activate the cloaking device mid-warp. These devices can be equipped on almost any ship.

2. Covert ops cloaking devices. No velocity penalty and significantly shorter reuse and targeting delay. Allows you to warp while cloaked. These can only be fitted to certain types of ships: covert ops frigates, stealth bombers, force recon cruisers, and blockade runner transports.

Regarding tracking players thru warp:

If you have visual on the target, you can see where which direction his ship is pointing when he enters warp and follow him to celestial objects in that area.

If he is in the same system as you, he will show up in the local system's chat channel.

You can only warp to celestial objects, stations, and bookmarks in the game. Your target can evade you by warping to a 'safe spot' in system. To find him, use your ship's directional scanner and combat scanner probes. The probes require specific skills to use. If your target is smart, then he'll warp among multiple safespots making him pretty much impossible to scan down.

If you don't know what system your target is in, you can use an NPC locator agent for a fee.. if they like you enough.

Aggression mechanics and system security status play a big role in determining when you will want to attack another player. If your corp is not at war with another player's corp, then you can only attack him in a system w/ <0.5 sec status w/o intervention from CONCORD, the game's police force. If you engage him in <0.5 near stargate sentry guns, they will shoot you. Attacking another player will cause you to lose your security standing, which if sufficiently low, will make you KOS to faction police in high sec systems. If your corp is at war with target player's, then anything goes.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I'm surprised this game is so very intricate, it seems that there are really a lot of probabilities for everything you can think of.

My uncle currently plays EVE and enjoys playing it a lot, so I was curious and did research but couldn't find answers to things like these directly, so it's nice to know.

I may or may not make the purchase after I get my computer, so we'll have to see whether I join up or not.

It seems that the 13" Macbook pro with the integrated card can handle L4D and CoD4 pretty well alone... If you could run L4D and CoD4 on high, is it right to say you could run EVE? Are the higher graphics setting really intensive at times?

Comment

Nah the graphics in EVE aren't too intensive. I have everything on high for me, including shadows and lighting, and I just have a 8600gt 512mb graphics card. I could run that even when there was a huge fleet battle of like 200v200 or something of that nature. So if you can run CoD4 and L4D fine, you should at least be able to run on all medium if not better.

Comment

Originally posted by Havok View Post
                Nah the graphics in EVE aren't too intensive. I have everything on high for me, including shadows and lighting, and I just have a 8600gt 512mb graphics card. I could run that even when there was a huge fleet battle of like 200v200 or something of that nature. So if you can run CoD4 and L4D fine, you should at least be able to run on all medium if not better.
                Cool, good to hear.

I found out that I will definitely be getting the 15" model (with the two graphic units and also just overall 'better' specs like 4gRAM instead of 2g, etc), so I doubt I wouldn't be able to run it on high according to your specs. Sounds good, I'll check into whether I want to commit to actually getting EVE when the time comes (I should be recieving the laptop 8/31, so there's nothing I can do now!)

Comment

Heh, I'm personally starting to get bored w/ it. The scam I'm trying to pull isn't working out too well and the corp I'm in is boring. Waiting until the 14th to try out Champions Online in open beta. But if CO doesn't work out, I'll stick w/ EVE and probably join Pandemic Legion.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X