New to EVE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to EVE

I am interested in EVE. Any info suggestions or tips for getting a good successful and fun start.
    "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Re: New to EVE

When you play, come down to Egghelende system and I'll give a formal "Welcome to EVE" pat on the back. :p

Comment

Find something to start making Isk right away. Best bet is either mission running or mining. Then find a player corp as soon as you can. There should be plenty of corps that are willing to take on new players, and point you in the right dirrection. Download EVE Mon and EFT (eve fitting tool) and use them to help you plan your ship fittings and skill training. Never mix guns. Never mix tanks. Don't be discouraged by the learning curve. Join the 'TG' chat channel in game, there should be someone to help you out if you have questions.
      Attached Files

Black Storm Cartel

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." -George S. Patton

Comment

As a new player, I would say to train your Learning skills as soon as you can afford the books. Run some missions, or even mine with your starter ship to get the money for them. It really pays off in the longrun no matter what you decide to train after it. Shouldn't be too bad in price and time. Most of the basic learning skills cost around 40,000 each at one of the "learning" stations. If you are Amarr for example, look for books in the Chaven system. I am not totally sure where good stations are in other empire territories.

Just do your research and have a goal in mind about what you want to do. There are SO MANY OPTIONS on things to do in EVE, you really have to look at info in a wiki or some such and decide. Not that you can't change what you want to do later, but the options are so vast that you have to have a general goal in mind.

Good luck, and have some fun out there. Sometimes the only way to learn how to do something right is to mess up and learn from the mistake. We've all been there *is remembering a mining op gone horribly wrong....* xD

Comment

Originally posted by shadow85 View Post
          As a new player, I would say to train your Learning skills as soon as you can afford the books.
          Quoted for truth

Comment

Yes, the learning skills are important. Use Eve mon to plan what you want to do. It will even tell you which learning skills are important for what you are training. Every Eve skill has two attributes that affect its training time, a primary and secondary. Most combat related skills for example are influenced by perception and willpower. I've gradually increased my learning skills as eve-mon has suggested I train them based on the time they actually save me on my skill plan. An old corp mate of mine put it best, playing eve without EFT and evemon, is like being a mechanic without a wrench and a screwdriver.

Black Storm Cartel

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." -George S. Patton

Comment

Good to know I will check out those apps. I started in Minmatar Space but am not sure if I'll keep that or not. I was looking at descriptions and though there was bonuses to tinkering mining type stuff but later was told this is not really so. I may keep it I may start another instead, not sure. Are there really any bonuses to the race you pick other than starting ships skills. If so what is best and is there something better as far as location to start.
              "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Comment

Not really. Everything's basically the same and any race can do anything well. There are a few specializations in the way each race builds its ships though. Meaning that the ships for that race will be geared towards a specific role.

Caldari = Heavy use of your shields and using missiles
                Amarr = Energy weapons and heavy armor

And.... I have never gotten into Galliente or Mimitar stuff, so somebody else would have to talk about that. :p

You said you started out Mimitar? No biggie if you want to do something else. Let's say you want to get into Amarr ships. I'd reccomend moving to Amarr space then. In my own experiance, I'd say the Etav system for Amarr and the Veisto system for Caldari, but there are so many systems to choose from it doesn't matter much. It doesn't matter what race you play, as long as you are not an enemy of the state (I doubt you are xD) you can live, work, train, and play anywhere in any empire.

For example I am Caldari Civre and I live and operate out of Etav (Amarr Space) and fly Amarr ships exclusively. I can fly a Caldari Cruiser if I wanted to (switched pretty quick to Amarr ships), but I find them to my liking. There was no need to start over and loose what I already had. :)

Comment

Just to help out shadow
                  Caldari = Heavy use of your shields and using missiles
                  Amarr = Energy weapons and heavy armor
                  Galliente = Hybrid weapons armor tankers
                  Mimitar = Projectile weapons mostly armor tankers, a few ships can be shield tanked.

Comment

Pretty much what Shadow and Gun Melter said. There is no advantage to your character being one race or another. I will add to the race ship descriptions though->

Caldari- Shield Tanking, missle chucking, (some hybrid weapon turrets) & ECM use
                    Amarr-Heavy Armor tanking, Laser pew pew
                    Gallente- Armor Tanked, Hybrid guns, and big time Drone users
                    Minmatar- Armor / shield tanking (not both at the same time, but they dont stick to one or the other, i would actually say they are mostly shield tanking), Projectile weapons, and they have the fastest ships in the game.

These are general discriptions, each race does have some unique ships, (the amarr sacrilidge using missles comes to mind). Apart from thier own unique weapon systems, they also have unique electronic warfare abilities. Check the bonuses on the Recon ships for each race to get an idea of these. More than likely you will end up cross training a few races as you figure out what ships/style you like best.

No one race is better than the other. They all have pros and cons. Do your research on them.

Black Storm Cartel

Comment

Well a friend gave me these descriptions:

Caldari: "Stay there, I can kill you from back here."
                      Amarr: Punches you in the nose
                      Galliente: Has their "friends" kill you (Drones)
                      Mimitar: Ships are held together by duct tape

:p

Comment

I dunno Duct tape is pretty strong I just watched the Mythbusters episode where they made a cannon and sailboat out of duct tape and lifted a car with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quarath View Post
                          I dunno Duct tape is pretty strong I just watched the Mythbusters episode where they made a cannon and sailboat out of duct tape and lifted a car with it.
                          True....I mean I still see Marn fly happily around in his Minie-ducttape-Rapier.
                          Last edited by Eva Wellington; 12-28-2009, 08:27 AM. Reason: Ducttape is with double T....doh
                          sigpic

Comment

Played the Demo

Comment

But, is it worth to buy?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse