Basic Questions about items

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Questions about items

Being a n00b, I have no idea what the purpose/use of various items are. I figured this would be a good thread to start to help answer them..

To start:

I have a 'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I.
    ------------------------------------------
    Projects a low intensity field of ionized particles to disrupt the
    effectivenes of enemy sensors. Very effective against
    Magnetometric-based sensors.

What exactly does this do? How would one effectively use it? I know that I target something and click it, and it says it's jamming it (20 seconds). But what is it jamming?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Basic Questions about items

You fit it to a ship with good CPU, normally each race has one specialized EW ship. Caldari have a few more. It'll be more effective if you are flying one of these, and you've learned a few Electronic Warfare skills.

Magnetometric means it will jam Gallente ships the best. It is much less effective against other racial ship types, which includes the pirate factions associated with the races. Sometimes players will fit backup sensors of another sensor type to a ship, so be wary of this. When you get the 20 second jam, it means that ship cannot lock you for as long as the bar is there, and will have to re-aquire lock after the jamming ends, which can also be several seconds. This means they are effectively out of the fight for as long as you jam them, unless they have a smartbomb or FoF missles, which don't need a lock.
    Do or do not, there is no try....
    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

I just got blown up for messing about with jammers. The problem is that it drains you capacitor and then you cant use shield boosters, armor repair or warp very easily.

To start with just stick with
      shield booster
      armor repair
      afterburners (might have to offline other things to use these, so not for when you are fighting)
      misslile launchers
      hybrid weapons and rail guns.

Some of these you can buy "civilian" versions which dont require a skill. Once you have tried them out, get the required skillbook and upgrade to the superior version.
      Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Thanks for the info! What does the name part of it mean? I have read about 'named' items -- what is the significance of that?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

They are normally a slightly different module from the standard.

There are standard units such as a 1MN Afterburner 1. This is a standard afterburner module that is commonly used and a good price that is easily affordable. You then get Monopropellant I Hydrazine Booster, these can cost 10x the standard afterburner unit but the only difference is 7.5% boost gain.

A 7.5% boost isn't worth 10x the price but if you find one in a container then you might want to use it, it cost you nothing. Some named units use less capacitor, or less powergrid, there are usually small differences from the standard module but can be very usefull for customising your ship when near the limits of capacitor/powergrid/cpu power.

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
            I just got blown up for messing about with jammers. The problem is that it drains you capacitor and then you cant use shield boosters, armor repair or warp very easily.

To start with just stick with
            shield booster
            armor repair
            afterburners (might have to offline other things to use these, so not for when you are fighting)
            misslile launchers
            hybrid weapons and rail guns.

Some of these you can buy "civilian" versions which dont require a skill. Once you have tried them out, get the required skillbook and upgrade to the superior version.

I suggest you run quickfitter before doing new equipment on your ship to test Cap runs.. and you have to use Nos or least Batterys when doing jamming..

I know, from using BBs for months.. batterys/relays/nos is a jamming friend

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X