Tanking help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanking help

I've heard of tanking all over the place and i really want to know how it is done?

I think it invovles a repairer of some sort and harders but i don't know about how to keep my cap up.

Re: Tanking help

The general concept of tanking is to be a character that can absorb massive amounts of damage for as long as possible, and sacrificing any offensive capability you have in order to achieve this. The problem with eve, as far as I see, is that this is a lot harder as in traditional games (ie fantasy ones) the tank has a physical presence that is not easy to get around. Thus a typical setup for a WoW party would be to have a couple of tanks at the front blocking the enemy whilst the powerful offensive but weak defensive magic users behind would blast the crap out of them.

I have little idea on how to effectively set one up in Eve, although I would imgaine that the standards of damage resistance and increased hit points would be the way to go. Jammers not so likely as you want to be the focus of the attacks.

Comment

I imagine this involves a bit of chicanery, as you have to make yourself an appealing target. So perhaps you have a single heavy missile launcher or an EW device that you use to open combat. The enemy keys on you first, then your allies flank with the real heavy hitting attacks. Maybe the entire first wing of combatants are nothing but tanks, and the second wave of CQB and missile boats are waiting on the other side of the system to warp in after you have engaged.
      In game handle: Steel Scion
      sigpic

Comment

Tanking usually involves a battleship that's fitted to either shield-tank or armor-tank. It involves hardeners, which increase damage resistances of shields and/or armor, shield boosters / armor repairers, capacitor boosters / capacitor recharge boosters and optionally, nosferatu's.

Typically a BS in tank configuration will sacrifice offensive firepower and capability in the form of turrets. Cap recharge rate is enhanced by being within range to use nosferatu's.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Another aspect of the tank in eve involves getting attention and then minimizing that attention with EW. You can jam certain ships and open up others. The point of a "tank" in this game is more to focus on control rather than sucking up damage, since logistics ships were introduced.

For example: Scorpions have often been used as a primary tank for the sole reason that it can jam or dampen heavily. So when a scorpion is present, it becomes the first target most of the time. Since the scorpion can equip up to 8 jammers, you can make targetting very hard in an equal setting, this will draw alot of attention.

If i had to prioritize abilities on the opfor, it would go like this.

1. Jamming/dampening abilities
          2. Logistical ships
          3. Damage dealers/drones
          4. Quick light ships

- -

Comment

As far as I've found, the term "tanking" in EVE generally applies to the properties of your ship setup. That is, it either is or is not "tanked." ( and sometimes just for a specific type of damage.) I don't believe I've ever seen the term used in the traditional mmo sense of tanking to prevent damage to fellow gang members, there simply aren't very many ways to stop foes from shooting whomever they like instead of having to go through the physical order you present them with.

In general tanking in PvP just isn't done, at least not in larger scale combat. However, for npcs I really wouldn't even consider taking an un-tanked setup.

P.S.
            One important note about npcs is that they will generally all focus fire on the first player to warp into their presence and/or fire upon them. This tendency really only diminishes at some of the very high level encounters and complexes. (For instance, enemies in 10/10 complexes will rotate targets, making logistics very difficult.)
            Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
            [age-c1]
            [eng][air]

Comment

Originally posted by Lagomorph
              One important note about npcs is that they will generally all focus fire on the first player to warp into their presence and/or fire upon them. This tendency really only diminishes at some of the very high level encounters and complexes. (For instance, enemies in 10/10 complexes will rotate targets, making logistics very difficult.)
              I have noticed that they tend to go for the weakest target or sometimes the closest target. They do change targets but only rarely.

I once went NPC hunting with me in a quick frig and someone else in a cruiser. We came up against two big NPCs that could have killed us both, however they chased me in the frig. I kept out of their range and they chased while my gang mate took pot shots at them. This worked for a while, but eventually they gave up on me and attacked the other guy. When that happened we both had to warp out.
              Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Hey there, Iíve been watching from a far and thought I might offer a bit of advice here.
                The term "tank" in eve tends to refer to how your ship is set up to take damage. There are two forms of tank passive and active, and types shield/armour.
                A active tank involves using items like shield boosters/ armour repair's and invenurability fields/ armour equivalent (not sure of the name) this acts buy reducing the incoming damage and putting your self back together quickly. The problem with this form is that it tends to be capacitor hungry so you will need to set skills and equipment to cover this.
                A passive tank works by putting as much armour/shield in the way of incoming shots. I run a passive tank on a ferox (cos Iím lazy) at the moment I have just less than 8000 points of shield and a recharge time of 541 seconds.

Now which type of tank is best for you well this comes down to a couple of things. First off what race are you, second how lazy are you. An easy way to determine which is better is look at you ship has it got more med slots or more low slots, more low slots means armour more med means shields. Amarr are very good at armour tanking and caldari at shield tanking.
                Look at you ship, does it give and bonus to either shield or armour, or maybe items based around these.
                For a good passive shield tank use shield rechargers and shield extenders, maybe the odd passive hardener (base this around what your going up against). This will give you a lot of shield to soak the hits and a good recovery on them.
                Active shield tanks benefit from shield boosters and invn fields, but remember these use cap so make sure you can keep it nice and high.
                Armour passive tanks use plates and passive hardeners to reduce the damage and give a nice huge amount for them to chip at.
                Finally active armour tanks benefit from repairs and active hardeners to again reduce the incoming damage and repair it as quickly as you take it.

As you have worked out by now the principle between armour and shield tanks are the same, the deference being that shieldís recharge and you get more armour for you buck.
                Well I hope this is of some help. Well see you in space.

Comment

Excellent stuff, Ig-666. Thanks for the detailed run-down. :)
                  "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
                  - Lazarus Long

Comment

Check out www.eve-tanking.com for more info.... along with a nifty spreadsheet to help crunch numbers.
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

good find asch!

- -

Comment

EVE Tanking

First off you need to pick what your going to tank.

-Shields (Primarily Caldari and Minmatar Ships)
                        -Armor (Primarily Amarr and Gallente Ships)
                        -Hull (Bait Ships)

Shield Tanking
                        With shield tanking you get to choose between Active shield tanking using a shield booster module to turn cap into shield HP or Passive shield tanking using modules that increase the ships passive shield recharge and/or it's maximum shield hit points (increasing the max will increase recharge). But for both of these you will need shield hardeners to increase the shields resistance to different damage types.

Active Shield Tanking
                        Is done with modules that fit in the mid slots of your ship so ships with a lot of mid slots are prime candidates for active shield tanking. You want a shield booster, shield boost amplifier to increase the effectiveness of said shield booster and shield hardeners to get the resistances up. You do NOT have to put the booster on auto cycle, in fact it's best not to in many applications because the cap will not remain stable.
                        Note: Shield boosters give there boost at the beginning of there cycle and then recharge before boosting again.

Passive Shield Tanking
                        Is achieved by using pretty much all the ships slots for modules that increase the shields passive recharge, maximum shield hit points and damage resistances to the point where it regenerates at several hundred points a second and can sustain damage. It's important to note that shield recharge has a curve depending on what percentage your shields are at, between 40% and 35% your shields will reach "Peak" recharge and at that point they will be regenerating the fastest. As you drop below 30% your recharge will suffer and it's probably time to GTFO.
                        When fitting for passive shield tanking use Shield Rechargers, Shield Extenders, Shield Power Relays and Active Hardeners.

Active Armor Tanking
                        Aims to achieve maximum hit points for each point of capacitor used throo the use of armor repair modules and armor resistance hardeners but with the addition of Energize Adaptive Nano Membranes because there is no active armor hardener that increases all resistances at once.
                        Note: Armor repairers give there repair amount at the end of there cycle and then begin cycling again.

Hull Tanking
                        Usually the only things that get hull tanked are bait ships, used to lure raiding parties into engaging an "easy kill" only to find out it has 90,000 effective hull. Then your friends come in and gank them while you warp scramble/Energy Neutralize there ships and LOL in local.
                        For hull tanking you should fit a Damage Control module and as many Reinforced Bulkheads as possible.

Buffer Tanking
                        Is when you focus only on a HP buffer usually for PVP only, where you are going for balls out DPS and ignoring the tank in favor of just lasting long enough to out dps the enemy and fry them before they can kill you. With a Buffer tank you simply want to get your effective HP for either shields or armor as high as possible witch is achieved by the addition of either Shield Extenders or Armor Plates and of course resistance hardeners.
                        Note: For ALL buffer tanks a Damage Control II module is a must have because it significantly increases your effective hit points by adding 60% to all hull resistances aprox 15% both to shields and armor.

Capacitor Recharge
                        If your using an active tank of any kind than chances are your going to have trouble running it forever because your capacitor is going to run out =)
                        To keep this from happening you have a few options. There is a Mid slot module you can use called a Capacitor Recharger witch simply increases the rate at witch your cap regenerates, there are also two low slot modules that can increase your cap regen but they have draw backs that can be serious. The Capacitor Power Relay is the most popular of these two and increases your cap regen but a lot but is not viable on shield tanks because it severely decreases your shield boost amount. So for increasing cap regen in the low slots on an active shield tank instead use Capacitor Flux Coils or Power Diagnostic System modules. And if that's still not enough to keep your cap happy running the tank then you can always resort to Cap Boosters witch inject energy straight from batteries called Cap Charges and uses them like Ammo, this is the most effective way to increase cap stability but of course you have to carry around and constantly replace your cap charges.

Don't know if that's any good but it's my attempt at being informative.

cheers
                        ~AZ
                        Last edited by Alucard_Zer0; 02-26-2009, 05:50 PM. Reason: revision
                        CoD WaW = -Cloak-
                        CS:S/CoD4 = Cloak
                        BF2/BF2142 = Alucard_Zer0
                        EVE Online = Assassin Zer0

Comment

IMO There has been a lot written about tanking. When push comes to shove there is only two kinds of tanking; shield and armor. I have done both. Being an Amaar trained BS pilot I use Armor tanking. Being a Minmatter trained pilot, I use shield. I can tell you right now that shield is much more fun. You don't have to watch that outer ring get red on that round thingy, at the bottom of your screen when you are in space, before you stop taking damage. It all depends on what race you are training up in your piloting which one you will use. Both get the job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Alucard_Zer0 View Post
                            EVE Tanking

First off you need to pick what your going to tank.

-Shields (Primarily Caldari and Minmatar Ships)
                            -Armor (Primarily Amarr and Gallente Ships)
                            -Hull (Bait Ships)

Shield Tanking
                            With shield tanking you get to choose between Active shield tanking using a shield booster module to turn cap into shield HP or Passive shield tanking using modules that increase the ships passive shield recharge and/or it's maximum shield hit points (increasing the max will increase recharge). But for both of these you will need shield hardeners to increase the shields resistance to different damage types.

Active Shield Tanking
                            Is done with modules that fit in the mid slots of your ship so ships with a lot of mid slots are prime candidates for active shield tanking. You want a shield booster, shield boost amplifier to increase the effectiveness of said shield booster and shield hardeners to get the resistances up. You do NOT have to put the booster on auto cycle, in fact it's best not to in many applications because the cap will not remain stable.
                            Note: Shield boosters give there boost at the beginning of there cycle and then recharge before boosting again.

Passive Shield Tanking
                            Is achieved by using pretty much all the ships slots for modules that increase the shields passive recharge, maximum shield hit points and damage resistances to the point where it regenerates at several hundred points a second and can sustain damage. It's important to note that shield recharge has a curve depending on what percentage your shields are at, between 40% and 35% your shields will reach "Peak" recharge and at that point they will be regenerating the fastest. As you drop below 30% your recharge will suffer and it's probably time to GTFO.
                            When fitting for passive shield tanking use Shield Rechargers, Shield Extenders, Shield Power Relays and Active Hardeners.

Active Armor Tanking
                            Aims to achieve maximum hit points for each point of capacitor used throo the use of armor repair modules and armor resistance hardeners but with the addition of Energize Adaptive Nano Membranes because there is no active armor hardener that increases all resistances at once.
                            Note: Armor repairers give there repair amount at the end of there cycle and then begin cycling again.

Hull Tanking
                            Usually the only things that get hull tanked are bait ships, used to lure raiding parties into engaging an "easy kill" only to find out it has 90,000 effective hull. Then your friends come in and gank them while you warp scramble/Energy Neutralize there ships and LOL in local.
                            For hull tanking you should fit a Damage Control module and as many Reinforced Bulkheads as possible.

Buffer Tanking
                            Is when you focus only on a HP buffer usually for PVP only, where you are going for balls out DPS and ignoring the tank in favor of just lasting long enough to out dps the enemy and fry them before they can kill you. With a Buffer tank you simply want to get your effective HP for either shields or armor as high as possible witch is achieved by the addition of either Shield Extenders or Armor Plates and of course resistance hardeners.
                            Note: For ALL buffer tanks a Damage Control II module is a must have because it significantly increases your effective hit points by adding 60% to all hull resistances aprox 15% both to shields and armor.

Capacitor Recharge
                            If your using an active tank of any kind than chances are your going to have trouble running it forever because your capacitor is going to run out =)
                            To keep this from happening you have a few options. There is a Mid slot module you can use called a Capacitor Recharger witch simply increases the rate at witch your cap regenerates, there are also two low slot modules that can increase your cap regen but they have draw backs that can be serious. The Capacitor Power Relay is the most popular of these two and increases your cap regen but a lot but is not viable on shield tanks because it severely decreases your shield boost amount. So for increasing cap regen in the low slots on an active shield tank instead use Capacitor Flux Coils or Power Diagnostic System modules. And if that's still not enough to keep your cap happy running the tank then you can always resort to Cap Boosters witch inject energy straight from batteries called Cap Charges and uses them like Ammo, this is the most effective way to increase cap stability but of course you have to carry around and constantly replace your cap charges.

Don't know if that's any good but it's my attempt at being informative.

cheers
                            ~AZ
                            A Critical dilema:

SPEED TANKING:
                            Speed tanking, mostly done using Minmatar ships because of their racial speed bonus.
                            basically with speed tanking you either 1. Outmanouvre the enemies tracking systems of their turrets (so they miss you a lot) or you out fly the explosive velocity of missiles (hence they do v little to none damage when they explode). The concept of speed tanking is that you constantlyorbit the enemy at your optimal range, keping away from trouble such as webbifiers/energy neutralisers.

The best speed tanking ship ingame is the Vagabond, with its superior speed and versatility it is a ship that can escape even when caught in a bubble.

Speed tanking generally, is only usefull for Heavy Assault Cruisers and lighter ships.

On another, last note:
                            Shield tanks are generally for long lasting fights, the ability to maintain the tank permanently.
                            Armor tanks can soak up immense damage over a short period of time but arent designed to be ran permanently.
                            Speed tanking can be used with armor and shield tanking, preferably with shield tanking because armor plates affect the ships agility and hence the versatility.

Each race has bonuses to tank:

Gallente: Armor tank
                            Amarr: Armor Tank
                            Caldari: Shield Tank
                            Minmatar: Shield/Armor tank (hybrid, the only hybrid)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X