PvP question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PvP question

This morning I was running thru a 0.4 system, seeing how my vexor setup fares against the rats there (quite well). I entered a field where there were a couple rats and one player that appeared to be mining (wasn't messing with the rats). I came in and toasted one rat and was working the other when he started attacking me. I couldn't warp out, so I targeted him and sent my drones after him and trained all four railguns on him. I took him down to hull pretty quickly while my armor rep and DCU kept me fairly secure with about 50% armor. He warped away.

I went to local asked him wtf? He said, "just a little damage test ;)"

So my question, since I'm a noob at PvP, what was going on here? The only other times I've been in PvP was catching a huge barrage and then being dead. I never had a chance to fight back. This time, I had the chance and did so.

Was he an opportunist that had a change of heart when he took damage? Is this 'damage testing' something that goes on?

His name was Pate 01. Dunno what he was flying, but 4x150mm Scout Rails and 5 drones gave him pause.
    "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
    EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
    PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Re: PvP question

He was trying his luck. Its a common pirating tactic to wait until your mark is in combat with NPCs, and then basically use them as extra DPS to kill the innocent player NPCing. Sounds like you gave a good accounting of your self. This is why I always fit a warp scrambler, even if I am NPC hunting :)
    Do or do not, there is no try....
    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Yeah, if you can possibly do it, it's better to be ratting in your full blown pvp setup. Makes for quite the nasty surprise if someone like that tangles with you.

But good job for driving him off!!

Comment

Anyone who isn't blue in low sec or 0.0 class as hostile.

A common pirate trick is to appear to be npc'ing, bm there can then warp back in on top of them, so he could of thought you were the pirate...

Comment

I have a webber fitted, but I didn't get him with it. Do you guys recommend a warp scrambler over a webber?
          "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."

Comment

He could still warp away with a webber on him, so if you wanted to finish him off then yes a scrambler would work.

However if he was in a fast frigate and you didn't have a web, he'd probably out maneuver your railguns and you wouldn't get as much damage or close to no damage on him. You just gotta weigh the differences.

Personally when i'm solo I don't use a scrambler because 9 times out of 10 i'll be outgunned or outmanned.

- -

Comment

I have a small NOS onboard too. As I said, that was pretty much the extent of my PvP right there, but I had assumed a scenario something like the following:

send in the drones
              web & guns
              get close, NOS

I've got adaptive nano, 1600mm tungsten, DCU, med. armor rep, shield booster, shield extender. I think if he stuck around I would have eaten him up.

It did get the adrenaline going - kinda like the first time I was in a BF2 firefight. :)

Comment

Tip: pick a defense - shield or armor, and concentrate on that. You are wasting mod space and power by having both a shield booster and an armor rep.
                In game handle: Steel Scion
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                  Tip: pick a defense - shield or armor, and concentrate on that. You are wasting mod space and power by having both a shield booster and an armor rep.

He's right. I'm assuming you're flying a vexor? If so, I would keep your armor tank. In your two mids you have after a web, you could do a couple of things:

If you would like to attempt to kill him, scrambler and perhaps a cap injector (if it would fit). Then you're just going with a standard pvp setup and ratting with it.

For more escapability (vs. frigs at least) you could simply fit two sensor dampeners. That would decrease his targeting range to the point he would have to get very close to even target you. Against cruisers and larger, not quite as good. But, if you would get jumped by an inty or af, that would force him into web range to target you. I doubt very much a smart inty pilot would want to take on a vexor in web range, so he would probably leave.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping I can be on for a couple hours this evening, so I'll look into refitting those slots. If I am able to play for some time this evening, I'd love to run with a group (cars on life support :( ). I really wish I could have run that complex last night.

Comment

The key problem with not fitting a scram or disrupt is that you cannot force a kill in PvP. It can happen if the enemy makes a mistake (by letting you bump him, not aligning quickly enough etc), or if you can alpha strike an insta-kill, but that's not too common. So you could be 10 times the combat pilot of the enemy - all he has to do is warp off.

Comment

I was reading this thread a little, and I just want to defend myself, and every other pirate out there:

Pirating and Griefing are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS! You are in 0.4 space and some idiot tries to gank you? Griefer. You are in 0.0 space mining and get ganked? Pirate. Carebears need to provide protection for themselves. I am a pirate and I dont use cheap tactics (logoffskies, logon ambush's etc).

Hate griefers, not pirates.

Vexor = crap tbh.

Thorax, 5 Med Nos, Armor tank, and full of Hammerhead II's. You might throw an MWD II or AB II to get close fast. I've taken Raven's w/ this, so its a solid solid setup for PvP.

BTW My char is Kaiton and Kosan (just sold Kosan so not mine anymore)
                        Never Knows Best

Comment

Originally posted by totalimmortal View Post
                          I was reading this thread a little, and I just want to defend myself, and every other pirate out there:

Pirating and Griefing are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS! You are in 0.4 space and some idiot tries to gank you? Griefer. You are in 0.0 space mining and get ganked? Pirate. Carebears need to provide protection for themselves. I am a pirate and I dont use cheap tactics (logoffskies, logon ambush's etc).

Hate griefers, not pirates.

Vexor = crap tbh.

Thorax, 5 Med Nos, Armor tank, and full of Hammerhead II's. You might throw an MWD II or AB II to get close fast. I've taken Raven's w/ this, so its a solid solid setup for PvP.

BTW My char is Kaiton and Kosan (just sold Kosan so not mine anymore)
                          I'd love to know how you're going to fit any kind of tank on that setup. Plus you're taking a boat with no drone bonus of any kind and using nothing but drones for damage.

TBH, a nicely set up vexor would own that. His drones will be doing a minimum of 50% more damage than yours (assuming equal skills obviously) and your tank w/ 5 med nos is going to be very light at best.

But, feel free to come pirate us :) We generally welcome would-be pirates around here.

BTW, you're absolutely correct, pirating and griefing are completely different. You can respect a pirate, especially if they're good at it, but griefers are just idiots.

Comment

And also understand, that crappy Vexor took out one rat, and was working on another when he jumped all over me. I called my drones in, tried to warp (all while getting hammered by him and a rat), couldn't warp, sent the drones back out (he and the rat are still hammering me), and still almost crushed him before he finally warped out.
                            I'm not a min/maxer or a power-player and yet my "crappy" vexor (and 5 drones, none of which are II's) made the griefer think twice.

Comment

Personally, I hope someone tries to grief me every time I log in... :)

Its a fair distinction though. I have no problem with legit pirates. Its the ones that sit in empire using can flagging and the like to gank noobs I can't stand.
                              Do or do not, there is no try....
                              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...