Level 2 Mission: The Blockade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Level 2 Mission: The Blockade

First, I apologize for any inaccuracies in my brief account. I'm still learning the ropes on ship types/damage, etc...but wanted to throw out my "recollection" of events to get the point across.

Well, I've finally made it to level 2 missions...I was so excited, I could hardly control myself! After an initial courier mission or two, I finally got a real mission: The Blockade. Sounded interesting, the level 1 mission version was long, but easily accomplished with my Rifter or Thrasher. This should be a piece of cake, right? ....errrrrr. WTFO!

After warping to the encounter area, I engage the enemy by approaching to my optimal range for 3x280mm Howitzer and 4x250 Artillery (Thrasher). The enemy have a web station on line, so I'm easily swarmed by the numerous enemy Thrashers and get popped.

Now I'm pissed. Rebuild my Thrasher, this time with 7x250mm (no 280mm in the area, plus I wanted a faster reload) and a MwD. This time, I'm able to keep them at optimal (around 10km), though I start to engage at 20km with some effect. MwD is on 100% of the time...my cap is holding steady with no problems. Make it through the first wave, pop the web station...then face and defeat the next three waves with a brief intermission to refit Fusion S and pop in a Shield Booster to keep my shields healthy.

My tactic for the first 3-4 waves was to hold the smaller, faster ships at 10km and engage one at a time with all 7 arty. Pop them fast, then move on. When I get to the Destroyer Class enemy (with arty of their own) I set up a 10km orbit with MwD on (around 900-1000 speed) and hit them with all 7 again. The damage is slightly less, I assume due to tracking, but he's unable to hit me at all while I nibble away.

Back to the fight! Stage 4 or 5 (I forgot), now I'm being engaged by a blob of Thrashers, Interceptors, and a Cruiser, each lobbing missiles at me from 30+km away!

Hell! Shields down, taking armor damage...engage Warp...into structure....warp still aligning...pop!

Is this a lvl 2 mission? What the hey! I feel like I'm in 0.0 getting insta-popped by a blob of T2 Mega-Thron-O-Dicta-Killa's. 2 Thrashers gone...I've killed over 30 enemy of equal or better ship type, and this mission just keeps getting harder and harder.

I've lost the time bonus, but I honestly don't have the skills or equipment to face the last (?) round of enemy if he's engaging from that distance. I'm pretty set on taking a pass on that mission, but the loot potential is incredible.

Any suggestions for a Thrasher setup or tactic that may help me engage the long range threat? Or should I just pass the mission until I can get a bigger ship or longer range weapons? I can't setup up more than one launcher on the thrasher, and my 280's still don't have the range. I haven't tried larger arty yet, but I'm going to guess I won't have the PG or CPU for such a setup.

If you need a skill dump, just let me know. I'm currently training Weapon Upgrade IV. Hull Upgrades IV and Mechanic IV are on deck.

-Troj'n Raz
    |TG| HOUDINI

Re: Level 2 Mission: The Blockade

You really need a cruiser or a pretty highly skilled assault frig for lvl 2 missions. Destroyer won't cut it.

---

Comment

Kite. Try using your long range weapons to pull an enemy ship and then reverse direction away from the enemy blob while whittling the pulled ship down.
      "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
      EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
      PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Comment

Small arty won't give you the range you need. An arty rupture will breeze through it if you maintain the tactics you've been using.
        Do or do not, there is no try....
        -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

If you want less courier missions switch to another "division" of agent.

Comment

Here's a matrix of agent divisions and the percentage of the mission types they give.

http://www.evegeek.com/mission.php
            "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
            EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
            PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Comment

Great! Thanks for the info fellas. I think I'll wait on the lvl 2 missions until I get my skills a little further down the road. I want to have the gunnery, hull, shield, mechanic stuff up to speed before I start getting the bigger ships.

Bit off a little more than I can chew at the moment, lol!
              |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

The guys are absolutely right. Dont go doing level 2s with anything smaller than a cruiser. Dont even think about 3s until you have at least a BC or Inty.

Heres some basic tips that I can offer:
                -Drones. LOTS and LOTS of drones. Train your drone skills up and you'll never be sorry you did. By the time I started running level 3s, I was running a Ferox with medium drones at a max range of 47km. They were often times able to kill targets faster than I could. This is crucial for missions where you are facing sometimes up to 20 rats at once. In addition, you can grab specialty drones which are very useful for big money stuff. Wait until you hit the Extravaganza missions later on. The 6th gate (bonus gate, completely optional) has big sentry guns and usually a BS or two waiting for you. And thats at level 3. With painter drones and a webber, I was able to clean out the 6th gate and walk away with over a mil extra ISK just from killing the BS's and guns. Without drones, impossible for a lone BC.

-If you're having trouble, bring a partner! Theres lots of people who will be more than willing to help you crank out some missions. Just be aware that sometimes larger ships cant fit through low-level deadspace A-gates, so pick wisely.

-Pick your weapons and defenses to match the opponents you're facing. If you want, I have a full list of damage types and defense types to use that I can evemail you.

-Always have your ship ready to run. Eve is all about multitasking. As soon as you arrive on-scene for a mission, you need to immediately turn your ship toward the nearest planet, gate, station, whatever. At the same time, be targeting your enemies and preparing to fight (activating modules and such). The pointing of your ship in the right direction will enable you to warp out of the situation in under 5 seconds if you get in trouble. Theres a big difference between 25% hull and sitting in a pod, and facing a quick exit is that difference. Otherwise, when you try to warp out, you have to wait for allignment.

-Dont always target the big guys first. Especially in a smaller ship. Often times, the smaller ships are going to have weapons that are going to hit you quicker and more precisely than the larger ships will. Take out the fast movers and webbers first, then go for the kill on the big guns.

-Isolate your enemy anytime you can. If you can kite the faster ones far enough out, the slow ones will stop chasing you once they fall too far behind. Deadspace has no size limitations, so you can go on forever without leaving the mission area. Take out the ones that trailed you and go in for the next group.

-Dont be afraid to do missions slowly. Even to get the bonus, you generally have between 4 and 6 hours to complete the mission. If this means docking, repairing, and going out 30 times, thats what it means. But you keep your ship and valuable equipment on it.

-Have a backup. ALWAYS have a backup ship. That way, if you get podded, youre not stuck in a crappy ship until you get back on your feet. Save up some bucks and duplicate the ship you're in. That way, when you lose one, you can head right back out.

-Insurance. Platinum level. At all times. 'Nuff said.

-Use distance to your advantage. Remember that you dont necessarily have to warp in at 0km unless youre using an A-gate. You can warp in up to 100km out. If you can kite enemies, this is an excellent way to isolate them. Drage a group out to 100km, warp out, then warp back in to 0m and take out the guys you didnt kite. Rinse and repeat.

-Agent Rep=difficulty. A mission from a level 2 agent with 0 rep is going to be tons easier than the same mission coming from a level 2 agent with 15 rep. Pick your agents according to your skill level. You can always get new ones later when you've stacked up your badassery quotient a bit.

Basically, eve is as much about tactics in PvE as it is in PvP. The AI is pretty stupid, but it can and will still kill you without hesitation. But its eeeeeasy money if you do it right. I had some good teachers and followed their advice and it got me all the way to level 4 missions before I lost my first ship, and that was only due to massive lag spikes back in the RMR days. Nowadays, its less missions and more PvP for me, which means more ship losses. But you'll get there soon enough.

Comment

Ferris! Thanks bud! I appreciate the time you took to explain this.

You've answered quite a few questions about things that, though I've already been doing it on my own, had questioned the wisdom of it (i.e. insurance, etc).

I particularly like the drone angle. Once I get those basic warfighting skills up, I'll revamp my long-range plan for some drone time. Still need a ship with drone space, so I imagine I can work that into my cruiser plan.

Again, thanks for your time!
                  |TG| HOUDINI

Comment

Houdini, here are a couple of links that I've found very helpful when I started running missions:

http://eveinfo.com/missions
                    http://home.broadpark.no/~tijohann/eve/missions/

These sights give you a good overview of what to expect, and strategies for each mission. Sometimes they are outdated (some missions change), but for the most part they're pretty accurate.

The eveinfo site has some good information on agents as well, so you can plan out who you want to work for and such.

Comment

Also Houdini, I'm going to start training a second account alt here pretty soon (i.e. when I get the funds tomorrow morning for a few GTC's). So I'll have a noobish character that I can bring along to help you out a bit if you'd like some backup on mission running. I fully plan on being in a cruiser by the third day out, so I doubt very seriously that I'll be having much of a problem tanking with you.

Also, for the offer, the loot and ISK is all yours, as my main makes lots of cash and I'm not too worried about funds.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X