How to make flying not be excruciating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make flying not be excruciating

So, I was playing a little online last night with the boys, a heist and some jobs. Somehow, I got roped into doing a lot of chopper flying. Don't get me wrong, I love flying and it was a heck of a time, but I couldn't get over how awkward and horrible to controls were by default.

So I did a bit of research and fiddling. The first and most important thing I did was get my joystick working following these instructions. Works like a dream (sort of).

PSA: You CAN (eventually) get a joystick working on GTA V. : GrandTheftAutoV_PC

Here are the settings I used on my Extreme 3D Pro: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/16...908/RWLAYB.png

The biggest problem with this is that since it's emulating an Xbox controller, and you can't rebind the controller inputs in-game, you can't bind yaw to your stick. Yaw is done by the bumpers on the xBox controller, and setting that to a twist axis will have you randomly opening the weapon wheel, locking on your parking brake, and firing out your car window when you're moving around normally. So yaw will have to stay on the keyboard or on joystick buttons. Or give yourself a big dead zone with some third party software. Whatever, it's workable.

Okay, I lied. The biggest problem is still that flying in 3rd person is horrid, because the camera doesn't lock behind the vehicle, so you can never _really_ tell where you're headed, especially in a helicopter.

So you have to fly in first person. But the FOV is of course, atrocious. Here's where things get mildly questionable.

There's an FOV mod for GTAVPC. It works in single and multiplayer. Rockstar has stated (in response to a question about this mod) that cosmetic mods in multiplayer will not get you banned. (Take from that what you will, but they're kind of dodging the question) Many players also state that they've been using the mod for months in online with no penalties applied. I have yet to hear of a person being banned for using an FOV mod. Make your own judgement call, I can't make it for you. I can say though, that increasing from a 65 to 100 degree FOV make a massive difference in first-person driving and piloting. Specifically, you won't get nauseous, and you'll have enough peripheral vision to tell where the heck you are. My personal opinion? This mod is a bug fix, not a hack. 65 horizontal FOV, are they serious?

I made a mod for freely setting your first-person field of view. : GrandTheftAutoV_PC

Long story short, these things will drastically increase your flying experience. Proof? In the pudding:

Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Re: How to make flying not be excruciating

Thanks for this informative and helpful write up Strait. Your Helo skills really saved time, and W6's money, in our heists the past few nights. Though now you've further sealed your role as my default pilot... :icon12:

:icon_frow
    |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
    sigpic

Comment

Sorry to bump an old post but can I ask, did you use keyboard and mouse before joystick? Most people do but I find this impossible personally, I'm a fairly accomplished helo pilot in GTA V and I advise anyone to use WSAD and 4568 on the numpad for flying anything, give it a try, I'm sure it will help!

Comment

That's what I use foxy,
        I think I could benefit from a joystick though as I find the need for analog impute.
        doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Foxy: I did use M&K before I used joystick, but I find it difficult to do precision flight maneuvers with it. It's also near-impossible (for me) to line up manual shooting with keyboard controls. Luckily most of the weapons are auto-locking, but still.

GTA V was built for analog inputs (console controllers) and it shows. Switching to joystick was night and day in what I could do. I seriously doubt I could have gotten gold in all the flight school challenges without it.
          Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X