Mid-Drive Speed Boost Patched Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-Drive Speed Boost Patched Out

Sad news. Apparently the Lowriders patch has removed the mid-drive speed boost (sometimes called the "double-declutch", for whatever reason)

For those not in-the-know, the mid-drive speed boost could be used in any rear-wheel-drive vehicle in the game while in second gear. Simply put, while in second gear, quickly release the gas, tap the handbrake, then pin the gas. The result was the engine bouncing off the rev limiter, the tires spinning, and a brief period of rapid acceleration. The magnitude of the boost depended on the vehicle, and on how close the vehicle was to third gear when engaged, with the perfect boost being made fractionally before shifting into third.

It was not realistic. But hey, GTA is not realistic.

This mechanic raised the skill ceiling for driving, and allowed for some truly exciting racing and stunting. It's no secret that GTA racing is... pretty simplistic. Using normal methods, there's often little but luck between a good racer and a great racer. Mid-drive raised the skill ceiling. It wasn't a simple matter. Using mid-drive poorly, or at the wrong time, could be worse than not using it at all. The lateral traction loss made it a risk-vs-reward scenario when cornering, and sent me into the ditch many a time. But done right, it could be just enough to allow for an overtake chance.

Mid-drive made drag racing exciting in GTA too. Rather than simply holding W to pin the throttle (or proper launching, if you're lucky enough to have set up a controller or joystick for throttle), mid-drive made timing and reflexes count. With a perfect boost, sports and muscle cars could hang with supers in the 1/4 mile.

But the biggest thing about mid-drive was the sheer badassery! It's no secret that the vehicles in GTAV feel a little anemic. I mean come on, what good is a muscle car that won't even chirp the tires shifting into second? Useless. Mid-drive let you rock a huge rolling burnout, pure fun! Not to mention using the mid-drive to cut the back end loose on any corner of your choosing. Slippery slidey fun. Hell, my car can slide out on a corner, but an ubertuned GTA muscle/sports/exotic can whip by at full throttle? Get real.

Nothing made me feel better in GTA than making a perfect no-spin launch in my Blade, "clutch kicking" just as she pops out of 2nd, and listening to the engine howl, the rear end get loose, and the world turn into a blur.

If you want to shake the bushes at Rockstar, shout at them here and let them know you want mid-drive back. (or hopefully something even better)

https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Re: Mid-Drive Speed Boost Patched Out

Update:

I'd been away from GTA for too long to notice this myself, but fact-finder Broughy has found the root cause of this problem.

In short, it does not appear that this was deliberately patched out, but rather that this is a result of a massive increase in the strength of GTAV's traction control system. This can be observed while driving normally, the engine will modulate and cut out power in tight corners where before it would produce oversteer. Suffice it to say, I'm not a fan of a huge dumbing-down of the vehicle physics in an already arcadey game.

Anyway, with regards to mid-drive, we can see by our tachometers that mid-drive is still triggering (shift and bouncing off rev limiter as before), but it appears that the more powerful traction control is detecting the surge in torque, freaks out, and cuts all power until the effect ends.

So, on what I guess is a positive note, it appears Rockstar didn't remove mid-drive intentionally, so we might get it back.

See Broughy's video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIG7kqTRLnc

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Racing was about the only thing I did in GTA after a while. Let me know if you get on to race some time i'll hop on

Comment

Isn't that being upset that you can no longer "game" the game?

That sounds like an exploit.

Current ARMA Development Project: No Current Project

"An infantryman needs a leader to be the standard against which he can judge all soldiers."

Friend of |TG| Chief

Comment

I always thought the physics and driving behavior of vehicles was rather unique and semi-realistic (at least realistic enough for my tastes). Reading this, it looks like something similar they did for GTA IV.

Honestly, I always felt that mid-drive was a bug and that it should be patched out. I've always found "gaming the system" a big no-no. Exploiters...meh.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I don't agree. Just because a feature was unintentional (which to be fair, we only assume wasn't) doesn't make it automatically bad.

Skiiing in Tribes, car jumping in Taxi, enemy speed increases in Space Invaders, combos in Street Fighter, etc, etc, etc. There's plenty of history of unintentional elements being left in because they benefit gameplay.

You're getting all caught up in how the feature got into the game and ignoring the fact that it made the game better, substantially.

The more I learn about this issue though, the more it seems like its removal was an unintentional move by Rockstar. Mid-drive has been around since the start of the game. Over two years this feature has been well-known and well publicized. They tackled hundreds of other items, but not a high-profile one that impacts gameplay?

Even now, all evidence indicates that they didn't actually patch out the mid-drive. The effect is still there, you still get locked in redline, it still only happens in 2nd gear on RWD vehicles, you just don't accelerate on redline anymore. (yes, I know it makes sense not to accelerate on redline, but again, GTA has always been about fun over realism)

The patch that did this affected all sorts of things. Notice that heavy vehicles got much slower in this patch? Some problem. They redline for a bizzarely long time between each gear, always have. But NOW it has an effect on them. It appears that the patch was unrelated to the speed boost, and that its removal was a side effect. It is not in the patch notes, and multiple users have contacted Rockstar, who have stated that they were unaware of the change.

Honestly, the mid-drive barely made a difference in any ranked event anyway. The top vehicles in Super and Sport can't even make use of the mid-drive speed boost (because these classes are dominated by AWD cars), and the vehicles that benefited most from mid-drive tended to be poorer performing cars in their class.

The people who start tuned car races so they can have an advantage with their tuned out best-in-classes are a far more cancerous occurrence than this ever was. I despise every Zentorno with a spoiler.

Should we stop wheelying our motorcycles to get a higher top speed as well? This is another features which is nebulous as to whether it was intentional or not. It also impacts bikes differently - since the Akuma can't wheelie at high speed, the Bati 801 becomes the better bike on anything but short track. It's another feature which trades off controlability for speed, raises the skill ceiling of the racing, and makes things more fun.

Should we stop driving armored Karumas because they break basically every mission in the game? (Lawd, I hate Karumas even more than supercars with aftermarket spoilers)

If they REALLY wanted to fix a bug that isn't well-known, actually significantly impacts competitive racing in all forms, makes zero sense, isn't fun, and takes zero skill, they'd take out "stick flicking", where you use rapid repeated stick/keyboard movement rather than holding left/right in order to overcome the traction control and gain speed through a sharp corner.

It's never a good sign when a patch effectively destroys two of your in-game communities. I hope to see a response from Rockstar soon. If they had any sense they'd bring it back, ideally with better integration. (For example, give it a slightly lesser effect and a shorter activation window, but make it usable on every gear change.)

Comment

Yeah, true, it's not gameplay breaking like other things. I get frustrated by mostly the same things as you do (or at least mentioned).

I held off getting a Karuma because I see so many driving around bullying other players with them (and other armored vehicles, like the nearly indestructable Insurgent. With my most recent GTA$, I ended up getting both just to have them for missions/heists rather than to take revenge on the bullies.

As for removing the code that does the mid-drive, it might still be there, but the new system effectively masks it's presence and ability to perform.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Quick Update

Mid-Drive Speed Boost was patched back in in December. Good news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1na5Em6bwDU

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X