Anyone into Sandbox MMO's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone into Sandbox MMO's?

So I hate themepark MMO's such as WoW, AION etc you name it anything with a linear story line aka "You are the chosen one and so are the other 10 million players".

Over the past few years I have played a few branded Sandbox mmos such as Eve, Darkfall, Mortal Online etc. Gotta say I loved them all as all of them were different in each own respect.

Now however, I am looking for a new venture, I have heared about 2 Sci-Fi based games such as Black Prophecy and Jumpgate Evolution which seem like a spin off eve online.

Anyway neither of those games are actually out yet and I was wondering if anyone else knew of other sandbox type games either coking out soon or in early developement.

Thanks

Re: Anyone into Sandbox MMO's?

The problems I have with some of the sandbox MMOs are they are a little.. TOO sandboxy. They give you a sandbox and no intro, no pail and shovel to start off with. And some of them (EVE, Mortal Online, etc) showcase the biggest cases of GIFWT and there is no natural recourse except "somehow get better at the game through it all" or "hire someone else to take them out, so you don't get taken out."

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I am. Right now there aren't really any other options other than the ones you mentioned, unless you want to play tales in the desert or something. Sandboxes will always be a little niche, for the reasons Bisclaveret mentioned, namely, most noobies don't like getting roflstomped. OFC< if you have the moxie to stick around and get past this, they can be great. I far prefer player generated content than theme park stuff. (Seven year Eve vet here, UO before that).

Neither Jumpgate or BP are going to be any good in this respect, I think. Both look pretty meh to me. Unfortunately, because they are niche, most development studio's won't touch them with a ten foot barge pole.
      Do or do not, there is no try....
      -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Not so much the roflstomping as i dislike playing a game where the metagame always seems to be "how big of an ******* can I be before someone tries to call me on it." 3 Year EVE vet, I disliked always having to CYA, do months of investigation into the background of anyone joining a corp because are they ACTUALLY who they say they are or are they going to leak all your stuff to some rival corp, losing ships to highsec suicide ganks, having stuff stolen from under your nose from corpmates "for the lulz cause i thought it would be fun to sell them to XYZ", etc.

Basically, the opposite of why I'm in TG. Even in the latter days, the used-to-be-TG Maelstrom Crew seemed to be very un-TG like and was populated by most people who'd never even heard of the site.

Same with Age of Conan, in the tutorial zones. You got idjits who are level-capped 25 in the level 5 area PVP-enabled zones where the game tells you to go for 80% of the quests, oneshotting people by camping near the zone-in/respawn. Just cause they can, and the GM's won't stop them. This has always had a large brake on the new subs, because they ragequit when they can't get anywhere in the first 2 hours of the game without putting in 10 hours of grinding in a non-pvp zone killing the same 2-3 monsters in order to level up to the next non-pvp zone.

Though, they seem to all be rangers (because of high frontload damage and easy-skill invisibility), and not know wtf to PVP when someone level 15-20 gets in their face...

DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I disagree about the TG in Eve thing. All of the corps I've been in that were TG oriented, were good corps, fun to be in, full of teamwork (I was in Maelstrom Crew too). The thing about Eve, at least, is that you can't do that outside the corp. However, in corp, yes, def. TG values can be instigated and maintained. Is that a good fit for the Eve metagame, well, that's a different discussion. If you don't need to conquer the galaxy, you can be TG and have fun in Eve.
          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Hey I feel you on AoC and I was part of the TG guild during the preprelease of AoC but quit before my free 30 days ran out. Game was a pile of crap with no content past lvl40 when I was on and many higher level camping newb areas.

As for EVE< I am an old timer but never played with TG because from my cencus the gameplay concept of the TG corp was boring and uneventful. I remember the TG corp was in high sec at that time when I was raking in billions in WH space due to a what is considered to be an exploit now type bug I guess. Might make a come back to EVE since I cant find anythign else out there and one of my long term friends resubbed recently but this int the first time I had taken a long break from eve and I know eventually what little juice I got left for this game is going to run out.

Back on track though, gunjunkie dont take this personally but going from your last sentence in your post above me, isnt that a bit boring and dull? If you arent going to conquer the galaxy or at least try, what else are you going to do? Pve and missioning and all this "carebear" stuff really gets dull after a while, I could barely stuggle through it in my first year in eve and vowed never to do so again.

I think TG could take up a more active part of the eve pvp community.

Comment

We have, and did. All the TG orientated corps I've been in either eventually landed up in 0.0 or WH space. TEGL lived in Providence, before even UK owned it (we were there when Unity station was first anchored). MCREW, while, not officially TG, was pretty prominent mercing in both empire and nullsec. Mcrew was run by a TG guy, and most of the core were from TG. In my brief stint with an alt in TGULT, they moved out to CR.

My comment about the TG playstyle and Eve metagame is a different topic though. The issue is basically numbers, and in my experience, working with others. Once a TG corp gets into a situation where it has to be on comms with a non TG group, is where things break down. Most TGers don't really stand for cluttered or inane comms, or asshats in alliance chat, etc. I'm not making a values judgement here, this is just my observations and experience. Most of time, its like 2-3 weeks before most of the TG corp goes F this and calls to quit the alliance begin. Again, not saying this is wrong or right, just how it has been each time it's happened.

For a TG corp to succeed in the Eve end game is going to take some interesting planning, and putting up with seeming incompatible playstyles. Can you imagine a TG corp on shared comms with the Goons, for example.
              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Yup I can see how it can be problematic for mature players to be surrounded by kids/pawns. Maybe forge an alliance based on our values though.

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post

For a TG corp to succeed in the Eve end game is going to take some interesting planning, and putting up with seeming incompatible playstyles. Can you imagine a TG corp on shared comms with the Goons, for example.
                  We were, at one time. This was before BoB got blown up. That was one of the times I seriously felt we were slipping. And that's some of what I'm talking about.

I had no problem doing contracted, professional hits with a "it's just business" type of discipline. I had a major problem with most of the other players in the game taking the game as "I do what I want, because the game will let me" including our Goonswarm alliance, who would sometimes piss around and attack us while we were in their 0.0 space near Detoroid, just for ****s and giggles, while we were sharing thier space for a POS.

Comment

I don't think any are really being considered for development at the moment. Atleast not publicly. The market is pretty tight on budget and I think more and more people just don't have the time to put into a game in this genre.

You're probably better off looking at some of the rpg games coming up with a mp but not MMO. If you can handle qbert style graphics check out minecraft.

- -

Comment

Giving perpetuum a try now that its released, seem good so far. Its basically eve on the ground so if you don't like eve your not going to like perpetuum.

Comment

Xsyon http://www.xsyon.com/ is being touted as a sandbox game but it looks very much like vaporware right now so buyer beware.
                        We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games. Anon

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X