Global Agenda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Agenda

Kind of curious if anyone is looking to get into this. I've been watching it for alittle while and I must say, the concept looks facinating. A FPS MMO, built with the Unreal 3 engine. Teams battle over objective points that can contribute to research, that unlocks gear for your whole team. There's other objectives as well. Being a dedicated CS:S player, where the focus of the game is objective driven, I think this might be a interesting alternative until Borderlands is released. Let me know what you all think.
    sigpic

Re: Global Agenda

From what I have read on MMORPG it isn't going to be an MMOFPS in the Planetside/WWIIOL sense of the word. There's a shared location for downtime but the actual combat areas are limited instances. :/
    "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

I don't know about the viability of MMO FPS'es. With so many FPSes that are free to play as much as you want after purchase - does a little bit of MMO persistance really make it worth paying a sub fee for?
      "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
      -- Red Forman

Comment

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! It isn't just the persistence but the fact that you can have more than 32x32 (which is the current max on most free FPS). If I recall correctly Planetside's continents locked at 240x240x120. 240 on two sides, 120 on the third side. Total of 600 people. Not too shabby for a near decade old game. Makes 64 players look kinda weak, eh?

Also the battles are often hard fought. The most epic FPS battle I ever participated in lasted a week. No joke. At the time I was playing on the German side of WWIIOL and we were pushing hard for Antwerp. First major attack started early one weekend. We got about 1/2 the city but stalled out. The rest of the week saw us and the Brits not only in heavy action in Antwerp itself but trying to push each other off the surrounding towns. Antwerp has 9 directly connected supply towns with another 3 secondary supply towns. Massive infantry, armor, air and sea power fighting over 13 separate locations 24/7 for a week. We finally took Antwerp the following weekend.

But.... but... those are true MMOFPS. From what I've read of GA it isn't such a beast. Each of the battles are instanced and probably scaled down to 32x32 at max as it uses Unreal(?) as its core engine. The "MMO" shared area is non-combat which basically makes it a glorified server browser.

So is paying for an MMOFPS worth it? Yes. In the case of this questionable "MMO" status, maybe not.
        "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

Planetside was an awesome game! The battles to control bases were usually 200 vs 200 and they were actually battles. No pointy hats and beards to be seen! ;)

I've been dying to play Global Agenda since I heard of its release. It looks like what Tribes 2 was like and I spent many years in T2! :D

Comment

well i apllied for the beta hopefully ill get in

Comment

I think the answer of "is paying for largescale 200+ battles, worthwhile?"

The answer is like Greyed said, YES!!!!

I would easily pay 20$ a month for 200 v 200 battles in a realistic environment. Unfortunately, not such a game exists atm :(

Comment

I am So getting Global Agenda when it comes out. It is an Day 1 Purchase for me :D

as for the Global Conquest thing. Heck yes I would defiantly pay for that.
                And when he get to heaven,
                To Saint Peter he will tell;
                One more soldier reporting sir
                I've serve my time in hell

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzhead View Post
                  I think the answer of "is paying for largescale 200+ battles, worthwhile?"

The answer is like Greyed said, YES!!!!

I would easily pay 20$ a month for 200 v 200 battles in a realistic environment. Unfortunately, not such a game exists atm :(
                  Actually, Planetside was the first and really only large-scale MMOFPS. I believe the servers are still active (run by Sony) and there has been 2 expansion packs since the initial release back in 2004?

Wikipedia Article on Planetside | Planetside Official Website
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    Actually, Planetside was the first and really only large-scale MMOFPS. I believe the servers are still active (run by Sony) and there has been 2 expansion packs since the initial release back in 2004?

Wikipedia Article on Planetside | Planetside Official Website
                    Wasn't the first and isn't the only. World War II Online was out ~2 years before Planetside and is still running to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_Online

However PS and WWIIOL are the only two true MMOFPSes in my mind so on that part we agree. :)

Comment

Global Agenda still has very fun combat, and you may not see loads of people in a battle but, on a small scale it is much easier to manage teamwork - which is what TGers look for the most, right? And the developers did test other sizes and found 8 - 12 players per side to be the best. Besides, they have incorporated "Base Raids" where 6 battles get linked up in real time so that they each can effect eachother.

The subscription is also comparatively cheaper than most MMO's. On top of that, you can buy and play the game without paying the subscription, you just don't get as much access. Which is nice for anyone not used to subscriptions that want to give the game a try, mainly FPSers.

There's more information on it here.
                      Last edited by MrJengles; 11-13-2009, 12:24 PM.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Yupyup. I have nothing against the gameplay, the concept, etc. I'll give it a try when it is finally released. I give almost everything a try. My only beef is with calling it an MMO because it doesn't, in my mind, fit the "massive" part of that moniker. I'd be curious to see how TG handles it and look forward to getting more TG face time. Aion kind of killed my BF2142 time as of late. *cough*

Comment

Yeah, as far as the RPG -which is implied- it has the unlocks, skills and such so there is no problem. But I will admit it is a very loose term of "massive"... though, you do see everyone all at once outside of matches so, that's a lot more people and interaction than the average FPS, you just don't shoot them - which is both why it is technically massive, and why it is a loose term.

Gameplay is still great though, teamwork is forced so much that most people, TG or not, will be working together. Agencies just take that to the next level of proper coordination and planning I suppose. An unexpected Beta 1D was on today, and continues this weekend, so I actually just played it... totally uncoordinated teams simply don't win.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJengles View Post
                            Yeah, as far as the RPG -which is implied- it has the unlocks, skills and such so there is no problem.
                            Nah, RPG is never really implied. MMO is one half, RPG is the other, but not all MMOs are RPGs. Hence the term MMOFPS. :D

But I will admit it is a very loose term of "massive"... though, you do see everyone all at once outside of matches so, that's a lot more people and interaction than the average FPS, you just don't shoot them - which is both why it is technically massive, and why it is a loose term.
                            Yeah, several games have employed that model to be "Massive". Shared non-combat area w/instanced combat areas. Call it the Guild Wars model as I think that was the first game to employ it. NCSoft has never called GW an MMO for just that reason. Think of it this way, if you think of the instances as "servers" then the shared common area becomes a glorified, graphical, server browser. Server Browser + Servers = every FPS since Quake being, technically, an MMO. Not a conceptual leap most people will take. ;)

Gameplay is still great though, teamwork is forced so much that most people, TG or not, will be working together. Agencies just take that to the next level of proper coordination and planning I suppose. An unexpected Beta 1D was on today, and continues this weekend, so I actually just played it... totally uncoordinated teams simply don't win.
                            How's the command structure handled as compared to BF2142? I think that's the only common ground you and I have unless you've spent time in PS and WWIIOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyed View Post
                              Yeah, several games have employed that model to be "Massive". Shared non-combat area w/instanced combat areas. Call it the Guild Wars model as I think that was the first game to employ it. NCSoft has never called GW an MMO for just that reason. Think of it this way, if you think of the instances as "servers" then the shared common area becomes a glorified, graphical, server browser. Server Browser + Servers = every FPS since Quake being, technically, an MMO. Not a conceptual leap most people will take. ;)
                              Ha, I've heard people describe it as that before, which makes me laugh. There isn't a whole lot I can say back, but first off: all your skills, character aesthetics and implants etc. are changed out of the matches. As well as the auction house and mail system being there, so it isn't like all you do is wait. Second, individual servers have been done away with via these server "shards" for like, North America and Europe... so you never do browse any servers, or mess around trying to find one you like, with good pings for you and the people you want to game with, playing the right maps... you just choose the mission either in a team with people you want to game with, or it will match you with whoever else joined.

Though currently I've only seen Dome City, there will be agency specific areas too.

Originally posted by Greyed View Post
                              How's the command structure handled as compared to BF2142? I think that's the only common ground you and I have unless you've spent time in PS and WWIIOL.
                              Uh, in PvP, there's no leader or anything, everyone fights. People just have to speak up if they have a plan at the start*, or decide they need a new tactic, or just want to point something out, most people tend to listen. Like I was playing Capture The Mech (think CTF) and I see their mech making a break for it... all I do is say he's running past us on the other side and immediately, the four people around me jetpack / run off with me and we mauled him. To which he complemented the teamwork and said his team didn't have any. If anything is going to inspire people to work together, it's losing every time you don't.

As for AvA... I havn't seen it. But I know there is a leader for the 6 simultaneous battles when they occur. Pretty much all I know is in a link in the general forum topic I pointed out somewhere above.

*There is sufficient wait time! 20 or 30 seconds or something.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X