Lord of the Rings Online

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord of the Rings Online

I recently picked up this game again, at lvl 45. SG and Clefspeare also play. Anyone else?

We are on Elendilmer.

Re: Lord of the Rings Online

I'd like to, I really would. Turbine did good with the combat animations and sounds of the game. But the interface just makes me want to put my head in the desk drawer and slam the drawer shut repeatedly.

Pretty much the same reason I can't get into DDO; even F2P DDO.
    "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

stopped a long time ago and don't have any plans to return.

- -

Comment

I played this a while back, was fun but my attention span on games is sometimes pretty short. The interface seems pretty standard for and MMO. Greyed: What part of it made you want to inflict such damage on your head?
        "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
        -- Red Forman

Comment

First, Auction Houses where listing lots is possible which do not give the option of sorting by Price/Unit (PPU) is a big one.

Individual bags which I cannot visually combine into a single frame. I can't stand either opening them up individually nor the space they take up when opened as a group.

I also played a Guardian and started out just weeks prior to the patch where they made 2h soloing viable for Guardians. However they provide no method of tailoring the bars to either of the two modes. So when you're wielding a 2Her about 1/3rd your bars are greyed out and useless. Then when you have to tank and are wielding a Sword+Board a different 1/3rd of your bars are greyed out and useless.

Also I had some issues with the quest log, crafting and a few other dialog boxes but it's been so long since I played LoTRO (about 5-6 months now?) that I don't remember specifics.

Now, these issues are not unique to LoTRO or DDO. And far be it for me to bag on Turbine; my first long term MMO was Asheron's Call. I still compare portions of many modern MMOs to AC and find those portions lacking. But since a lot of the MMO experience hinges on the UI if the UI annoys me it doesn't much matter how well the game plays. It's like sleeping in a really, REALLY comfortable bed except for the fact that where you place your left foot always has a few grains of itching powder. No matter how nice the rest of you feels your foot still itches like a mofo!

So it's no surprise that my longest MMO sub is to WoW and my current MMO passion is for RoM. Both have some of the same warts and in both I am able to address the UI problems with Addons. It is why I am a huge advocate of out-of-combat Addons (I never have, nor ever will, advocate autoplay, in-cobat botting). In those two games the UI just gets out of my way because it is tailored to my specific preferences.

I can get a single visual bag even if the underlying architecture says I have 5.
          I can have a PPU column in the auction house and sort on it so I don't get easily scammed by the 18k stack of 20 items mixed in with the 20k stacks of 100 items.
          I can swap bars in and out depending on what stance/form I am in (Guardian's sword+board/2h is detected with a buff, it's a proto-stance mechanic).
          I can tailor the quest log to suit my needs. The crafting dialog to hide uncraftable recipes. The mail dialog to just open all the mail and grab all the items.

In the end I can spend more time playing the game than fighting with the interface.

I... uh... ranted a bit there, didn't I? :row__690:
          "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

I still play, not a member of EoE anymore, I run with Knights of Amon Sul now.

HardCa$h

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X