DDO for free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDO for free

It went free with item shop and all of that this month. Anyone else on playing this? I still had my old characters just as I left them, so thats cool.

If other TGers are gonna play we should group up.

Re: DDO for free

I would like to try as one of my coworkers plays and is constantly trying to get me on his server. However I am one of the souls with the dreaded "connection to server failed" issue which Turbine hasn't been able to correct. :(
    "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

Totally, completely free? Where does their revenue come from?

Comment

Same as any other F2P MMO; perks you purchase with RWM which allow you to either customize your character or level faster. Normally it is a trade off between grinding or purchasing. If they allow in-game transactions for the currency which can only be generated by RWM then it allows the people who pay more to subsidize those who grind more and vice versa.
        "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

Originally posted by Gillespie View Post
          Totally, completely free? Where does their revenue come from?
          I believe the content is limited and you must pay for additional content.
          "Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." Gen. George Patton

Comment

I'm on khyber as teratoma rouge and hemogoblin pally

Comment

Originally posted by Bc2ID View Post
              I believe the content is limited and you must pay for additional content.
              Well, yes and no. The in-game currency is called Turbine Points (unfortunately shortened to TP). One can either purchase TP using real world money or they can earn it via earning favor from the different in world factions. There's a set rate of favor to TP as well as bonuses for different levels of favor. So it is possible to get further content without spending anything.

What I haven't seen is if it is possible for people to transfer TP from one to another in game. In the other F2P MMOs I've played (Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates, Runes of Magic and to a lesser extend EVE Online) it was possible for people to play completely free as they were able to exchange the main ingame currency for the RWM in-game currency that other people have bought. In those cases someone pays. The person who bought the RWM currency and sold it for in-game currency is, in effect, subsidizing the other player's time in game in exchange for them farming. ;)

Comment

DDO is actually intriguing me since I've been seeing the adverts all over the bloody place. Hell, not to mention its now free which is always a great price. The mostly naked women in those adverts may, or may not, have played a part in the renewed interest, but I was interested in DDO before I got side tracked by other things anyhow.

Anyone active in DDO to hook up with or do I just go freelance?
                My sanity is not in question...
                It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

i've been playing for a few days. I have enjoyed the game so far and how close it follows the Pen and paper version of DnD. Its worth it too look into if your an old DnD junky like I am

Comment

You guys still playing here? I think this is one of the best ideas for doing a free game for the US. It's d and d plus very good graphics and gameplay. The free experience has everything good about the sub game but you are limited to certain servers and only get 2 char slots along with no access to some extended parts of the game.

The one thing that's really cool is you can either buy bits and pieces or use points you earn while playing. It's like turbine just figured out how to bring the asian free mmo market to the states.

I've been playing a bit as i used to enjoy the game when it first came out and now it's free so why not enjoy it. Anyone else?

- -

Comment

I may give it a shot

Comment

If you're coming in Smach, I can help. I've been a paying member for years but the past 6 monhs or so I haven't done much in the game. I can help play with and get ya up to speed, heh.
                        It's like turbine just figured out how to bring the asian free mmo market to the states.
                        Except their approach doesn't quickly overbalance the game (except for those "everyone can use them" healing wands, grrrr) wheras in most other item-shop asian mmo's, the guys who buy from the item shop have distinct advantages over the guys who don't. Most of the item shop items are very reasonable and don't give a hell of an advantage over someone who doesn't buy, or even someone who has a VIP membership like me. They're things you can already get in the game, mostly, for a modicum of money too, or are quickly surpassed by even your first level (on the terms of things like equipment.)

I do appreciate their piecemeal approach to the module supplements, although I wish they had more. I can't view what each module supplement has because I'm a VIP member and have access to the full game anyway.

I wonder.. Since i've never used my VIP-bonus gained points, and have never really spent them, if you guys need them, can I buy items for you for trade? I get free points/month anyway. I don't know if store-bought items are tradeable.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                        <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                        DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Some screenshots of the high res free version of the game. I play this pretty regularly if anyone would like to join me. It's a very detailed game that requires you to think to play and I love that most about it.

http://www.ddo.com/playnow/

EDIT: I'm on orien
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Vulcan; 04-04-2010, 12:11 PM.

- -

Comment

Downloading it as we speak, been looking for something to play, and a free game sounds great :D

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
                            So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Sure, I'll give it a shot. I mean, why not? It's free.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X