Fallen earth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fallen earth?

Anyone heard of this mmo, just seen it advertised on steam but that was first time seeing anything about it.

It reminds me alot of fallout3 from what ive been readin, anyone played it?

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
    So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Re: Fallen earth?

i've looked at it but looks rather amateur to me.

Why don't you join us on aion :p

- -

Comment

I first heard about it on the Zombie Squad forums. This game, no matter how primitive looking, really appeals to me. I really like that someone is attempting an MMO dealing with a Post-Apocalyptic world. I might check it out if I can spare the funds in the near future...or if the world doesn't end!
      | | |

Comment

I gave it a shot in beta, but... I don't know. It didn't really jive with me.

Comment

I enjoyed it in beta. If your a crafter you'll have plenty to do. You can build just about all of your equipment from things you can salvage and parts you can't salvage you can buy. When crafting most items you can still go out and quest so your not sitting in a corner most of the time like some games.

Combat is more a FPS then most mmorpgs. You can target enemies but you still have to put the crosshairs on them to hit them especially true with ranged weapons.

Pretty big world from what I heard it would take several hours to ride from one side to the other. No magical disappearing mounts. Once you get/build that horse or buggy it's in the world. Just need to remember where your parked it.

Off hand i'd say if you can wait until they have buddy invites or a free weekend to try it out.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Comment

I got it. It's like Darkfall in nature. Others have said the gameplay is similar to Star Wars: Galaxies but I wouldn't know. Sometimes it does seem like Fallout 3 MMO.
            [TP]Cavazos
            www.tigersplatoon.com

Comment

Well think I'll try it out if they release some trial but until then I have no money :( same for aion no money to play it

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity

Comment

Well, it's out. Thoughts, anyone?

If the shooting game can in any way be played in a tactical, team based fashion I am distinctly tempted to talk a bunch of TGs into playing just to demonstrate the advantages of fire and movement to the world. But I somehow doubt it would work.

Comment

Does anyone know exactly what elements this game mirrors from Star Wars Galaxies? I hear that all the gear is player made( except starting), its free roam like SWG was, as in no areas for certain levels. If this is true I will defiantly need to try this game.

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

I'm not seeing any bad reviews for it, so far. It's tempting. I do so love shooting things, and being able to go prone is pretty much the same thing as win

Comment

I broke down and I am downloading it off steam right now. I'll give it some play later tonight and write something tomorrow if I have time after I finish moving.

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

So whats it like? got any info on it?

Comment

Well here's a pro tip: Do not buy an MMO one day before you move to a new apartment and won't have internet for a week.

The following is my opinion on the game but I am still low level. So far I think this is a niche game that is aimed at people that liked SWG when it was good.

Skill/Level based system:
                          I really do love this simply because you get to build your character however you want. You are not stuck in any classes. Each level consists of, I think, 8 sub parts. Each sub part gives you 2 AP to spend on increasing your Attributes or your skills. Basically each skill cap is based on the combination of 2 Attributes. For example your maximum pistol skill is based on your dexterity and your perception attributes(the exact math formula used to get your maximum allowed skill is not described). The good thing about this is it costs 5 AP to increase an attribute 1 more point while it costs 1 AP to increase a skill 1 point. The only problem I find with this is that trade skills, aka crafting skills, do not cost AP you can simply increase your skill in them by doing them. So if you want to take the time you can be good at crafting anything, so long as you get your intelligence and perception attributes high.

Combat:
                          In combat you actually need to aim. By clicking on the middle mouse button you go from whatever mode to combat mode. Combat works pretty simple you have abilities you can buy from combat trainers based on how high your skill in that combat skill is. For example if you have 30 rifle skill you can buy, train, and use the ability puncturing shot. But as I mentioned before you actually need to aim at your target to hit it, this includes some combat abilities like puncturing shot and your regular shots/melee strikes. Also you don't just auto-attack every so often you have to click your fire button to fire. So the game does take some personal skill to keep your shots on target or your melee strikes hitting home. It is also worth noting that when you die you lose XP and your weapon/armor gets damaged. I don't know if this is true for PvP but I like it and would like it even more if its true for PvP.

The world:
                          Its freaking huge and since I don't have a horse or a vehicle yet I know very little of it. But once i get some mode of transportation I'll update this. One thing I can say from what I have seen is it does have a good atmosphere/setting.

The community:
                          The people in the game seem pretty cool so far. The one night I did get to play I ended up talking about the future of space travel and human cloning for 2 hours on region chat. Although I saw a clan called goon squad and if you played EVE then you know what that means.

Questions:
                          Ask them and I will try to answer.
                          Last edited by blackmain; 10-04-2009, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Update

The World:
                            I got a horse last night at level 4 and I went to explore 2 other towns. It seems to me that the area around towns is for low level people and the farther you get from a town the more difficult it is. I am also going to guess that like SWG the monsters that roam the wastes can be moderately difficult but never anything crazy. To find real challenges for yourself you need to find areas special areas that have high level monsters. For example in SWG they had the Tusken Fortress and Squill Caves, but this is still theory crafting on my part.

Comment

The world is currently broken up into three sectors. S1 is roughly for levels 1-~20, S2 is for about 15-30ish, and S3 is for 30-45.

Each sector has a lot of content. You get sorted into a newbie town based on some simple questions about whether you want to be melee, rifle, pistol, support, or craft focused. Each starting town gives you a bunch of quests to do in order to get your first few levels. You can easily have a horse by level 2 or 3, and you should definately take the time to get one, as mounts and vehicles are key to moving around the game world, instead of just being prestige items.

You can craft most of the items in the game using things you find on baddies or salvage from teh game world. Their is very little traditional loot. you can purchase weapons and gear from NPCs, but its more expensive than crafting it yourself and you can generally make an item long before you can buy it. Consumables are also useful. Gas, bullets, stimshots, grenades, food, drinks, and medical equipment can all be crafted and will give you an important boost in PvP or PvE

PvP occurs in designated zones that they player can seek out. You don't have to go to PvP areas, and if you want to do crafting or PvE you're not going to get ganked or ambushed.

Since the engine is based around FPS style game play you can get away with things like taking cover, attacking from ambush, or attacking from above to get an advantage over your enemies. Enemies do not stick to you, so if you can find a place they can't reach you can rain down death on melee critters. This is countered by A. being boring as hell and B. a rapid, but not insurmountable, regen on NPCs that can't path to you, so you can generally kill an even level NPC from an inaccesible position, but a higher level NPC will regen faster than your DPS.

Leveling curves aren't particularly steep. You get 1 point in each stat when you level up, but AP, attribute points, determine your combat, support, trade, and mutation skills. Instead of doing quests for phat lewt, you're frequently rewarded with AP at the end of a quest string. Since AP is often given out by quests, two players of the same level may have different AP totals, and different relative abilities. Likewise, a player who crafts their own gear might be substantially more powerful than a character of somewhat higher level who relies on found or purchased gear.

It's a fun game, and quite different from WoW or Everquest model games. If you've got the money, or a free trial comes along, it's well worth a shot. I reccomend getting it on Steam, btw, as you get a free ingame T-shirt with some very nice buffs on it.

Stability and Lag:

The server is quite stable, especially for a new release MMO, with a very good ratio of uptime, usually around 22/7 or 23/7. Lag can become noticeable in towns that serve as mission bottlenecks at lower levels, but the devs have installed new hardware to account for a higher than expected server population.

The Devs have been very proactive about fixing bugs as they emerge and balancing game systems on the fly. The GM team is likewise helpful and you can usually get a GM when you need one. They've been very good about listening to player concerns and fixing problems as they arise .Several bugs in the crafting system have been fixed within a day of being reported, for instance.

Graphics:

Are actually quite good. The games aesthetic is a somewhat rundown and dirty world with a lot of rust and very little paint. The animation quality is very high, the models are well put together, and the towns have a nice cobbled together from whatever was handy look to them.

Riding around the desert feels... like riding around in a desert. The horizon is generally very long and only broken up by buttes, plateaus, and occaisional antenna towers or towns. game environments are interesting and nicely detailed. The game goes for a believable and real look, rather than the super-polished candy coating look of, say, Aion, or the high-rez but far too clean to be believed environments of Crysis.

Gameplay!:

Combat is a lot of fun. Different character builds do not need to be hyper-specialized. A character focusing on rifles will be able to pick off enemies at long range with accurate headshots, but still go toe to toe by using the right combination of armor, buffs, and abilities. Players can also cross class to a certain degree. A ranged fighter can still use some melee weapons, which comes in handy for fighting trash mobs or using certain abilities. Likewise, a melee fighter can carry a rifle or cross bow for pulling mobs or attacking creatures that are otherwise difficult to reach.

Crafting is very rewarding. Crafting happens in real time whether you're logged in or not. Since you'll be making a lot of your own gear, this allows you to queue up a bunch of ammo when you log out for the night and have plenty of bullets to play with the next day. Likewise, your can start a task with a very long wait time, like vehicle construction, and go fight mobs or complete missions while you're waiting for the crafting task to complete. If you want to speed up the process there are special workshosp. Being in the workshop, or logging out in the workshop, will decrease crafting time of related items by something like 20%

Related to crafting is scavenging, mining, and harvesting. Every character will end up with some skill in these abilities, and throughout the game you'll find ore nodes, useful plants, and ever present piles of junk that you can root through in search of scrap gears, bits of metal, and old seat belts to turn into useful weapons and armor. The thrill of finding an abandoned Ambulance and salvaging a half a dozen seat belts from it is a surprisingly satisfying experience, especially when it gives you the items needed to start working on a new crossbow.
                              Last edited by FrankManik; 10-08-2009, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X