Final Fantasy XIV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Fantasy XIV

Final Fantasy XIV is now available for anyone who has purchased or will purchase the Collector's Edition. Only collector's editions buyers are able to get in to the game until Wednesday September 29th.

Initial impressions: The game is gorgeous, the music is awesome, and gameplay is much more friendly to the casual player than FFXI ever was. Issues with lag have been addressed but are still not quite perfect.

Since the TG community does not seem to have an avid Final Fantasy online base, I would suggest members looking for more info check these places out:

Fan based:
    http://ffxivcore.com
    http://ff14news.com
    Official:
    http://ffxiv.com
    http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

Re: Final Fantasy XIV

Are you still limited to killing dust-kicking rabbits with fifteen chops of your battleaxe from level 1-75?

Comment

I was very disappointed with the game. Constant running around for no reason to advance the story right from the start and a very uninteresting story at that. The combat didn't excite me at all either. It really fell flat right off the bat compared to other MMO's.

- -

Comment

I don't think it fell flat at all. Essentially if you liked FFXI you will like this game. I certainly enjoy it more than any other MMO I have played until now: FFXI, WoW, SW Galaxies, Runescape, Sacred Seasons, City of Heroes.

Comment

yea i love FF myself. I am been playing collectors edition for 1st week early start on mysidia server. im there ;). I played 11 so I know somewhat of whats going on an what happens in future of the game somewhat. I have played tons of mmoprgs out there myself an i realize this one has best long term value then all of them. but not everyone likes the style of FF. it is a JRPG :P but i been playing the series since the 80s. but i love it an its gettin crazy atm in advancing the jobs. Mixing multiple jobs is completely new idea which i love.

Comment

FF14 atm how it is it outright horrible. The big "casual" flag the devs seemed to hang out quikly turned out to be a lie. The Game is more grind than Korean MMOs one you get past Level 17 or so. The "Surplus" System that was introduced to slow EXP gain of hardcore gamers actually works against casual gamers. As now the hardcore crafters are hitting their threshhold so hard each week - it is impossible for anyone to catch up to them while they gauge the hell out of items as they please. Items costing materials for 2500Gil are sold for 30k Gil with ease.

The system about getting random Class EXP is very bad also - it makes many of the Support classes get less EXP than a streight out DD. Atm there is even a bug in the game that will swallow Class Experience randomly for one person if more than 2 persons are in a Party. The content is basically nonexistant. All you get are like 6 Mainstory Quests and 3 Jobquests AND THAT IS IT. No small quests all over town like 11 had. Another shocking thing is that the game basically has 4 Zones right now - 3 infront of the Starter cities and one in the middle. They want you to level from 1 to 50 in these zones. Mob placement is bad... I mean... level 25 mobs right outside town? Why SE why? Once wrong turn - with no warning - and you will get hit for 1000s of damage.

This game is so incomplete atm, it is not even funny. A huge PS3 beta. The only thing that is finished are the gorgeus grafics. SE really needs some hardcore updating on this.... hoping for the PS3 release there will be actual content in the game.

Comment

Not to be mean, but not your most eloquent post ever Lyr, I'm going to guess you hashed that one out quickly. I will try and counter your arguments as best I can, but in the end, you are essentially right but no that I've played or heard of has launched with all of its content set right at the beginning. WoW was notorious for bugs and crashes at launch that rendered it unplayable for many people and you can't compare FFXIV at launch to FFXI because FFXI hit US shores a year after its launch.

The casual nature of the game is still intact. My guess is that you don't tend to play it casually and so this isn't so obvious to you. The point is that you can get on and get your levequests knocked out in about an hour or two roughly every 2 days. The only limitations to this would be a lack of anima to get around with. After about 4 weeks a casual players only on every other day will find they are running low on anima.

The inflation of the price of goods is nowhere near like you describe on my server (Cornelia). As a goldsmith 15, I can make bone rings at a cost of about 400 gil for mats and I sell them for 800 gil. Moving ahead to higher level synths I do, I can make a brass choker for about 12k in mats (if I bought them from a vendor) and I sell them for 6k that is a loss of 6k per synth. Inflation is only going to exist naturally in any case, you have many purchasers with little to no buying power (due to the lack of an auction house and thus a lack of "perfect knowledge") and relatively few high level crafters supplying goods to the whole server. Besides that, if people are willing to pay those prices then it is essentially the fault of the buyer.

I have yet to see this about "Support" classes. As far as I have seen there are no true support classes, each class has a fair amount of DD built in but if I had to guess I'm assuming you're talking about Thaumaturges, because I can't keep up with Conjurer as a Pugilist.

An XP bug? I have yet to see it and this is the first I've heard of it across many different sites. Is it possible you were in a party and someone tried to claim more than one mob? You cannot claim more than one mob or one set of mobs (like in leves) at one time. You must finish off your first mob or you will not receive XP or skillups until the first one is dead. This is to prevent players from monopolizing a zone.

There are hundreds of quests available, I'm not sure what you mean by there are only a few. Yes, there are few quests in the sense that you are used to them. However, those quests in FFXI were typically fetch quests where you had to talk to several different NPCs in several different zones for a pittance of a reward. Now you have battlefield levequests, local levequests, faction levequests and more which give upwards of 20k gil for lvl 20 ones and better yet, they are repeatable.

SE has never stated that everyone is expected to lvl in the starter zones. In fact, as far as I can tell they will only support XP up to lvl 30 ish. Not to mention, each of these zones are about 5 times the size of the zones in FFXI. This was done to prevent those annoying load screens when you cross out of a zone. Mob placement is just fine, if you don't want to die then don't get in the face of a mob which aggros. Yes it sucks to get toasted by these mobs, but many players have gone before and died fighting them to pass the information along to the next person that you don't mess with Antling Diggers and the like.

One thing we do agree on though, the game is incomplete: all MMOs are incomplete until the day the servers are turned off.

IMO, only a few extremely annoying aspects of the game at the moment: Server lag is still a bit of an issue especially during peak hours, menus are cumbersome as is the lag, there is no auction house, there is a lack of anima regeneration, no inventory management system, and all of those +1, +2, +3 versions of materials are downright frustrating.

Comment

SE has never stated that everyone is expected to lvl in the starter zones. In fact, as far as I can tell they will only support XP up to lvl 30 ish.
                No, the game has Leves and Monsters up to Level 50. I am currently Level 27 and still get beaten for 1000s of damage from much higher mobs.

The EXP bug is there and has been confirmed from various sources.

The problem exists with the huge randomness of the Skillups. A conjurer can nuke for 400 damage a fight and get nothing but 30 Skill from a Spirit Dart. While the next guy gets Skillup procs on his big damage abilities.

There are hundreds of quests available
                I dont count each individual Leve as a Single quest. Most are slmost the same. Go here, kill mob. This gets old fast. I am talking about real quests with a real story and goal behind them.

SE had 7 years of MMO Experience with 11 - you would think they would learn things. Atm you cannot even see your Party Members on the map, not /sea search people, nor invite Friends to a Party from your Friendlist.

Comment

The lvl 30 thing is my guess (I'm currently lvl 22) since there are no camps for anything past lvl 30. Look at an area like Limsa Lominsa, is there a camp past camp Iron lake? This would be what I meant by nothing past lvl 30, sure you can XP, but the leves only go to 30 right now.

The leves do have stories, you just have to read the levequest text. The quests in FFXI had roughly the same amount of story, except they were far more annoying to complete. The missions are far richer in XIV when you compare them to the nation missions from FFXI, and you can't compare past the rank 3 missions b/c those are roughly the same point for both games as far as progression. Your argument about lack of story just doesn't hold up in this case, on everything else I agree with you to some degree or another but simply not in this case. I played FFXI for 2 years and in that time I had almost no clue what the story was about and I completed the story lines for FFXI, RotZ, and half of CoP.

Yes, some of the decisions are aggravating since they were implemented better in FFXI, but the foundations of this game are far better than anything FFXI ever had to work with. In the end, that is why I'm going to keep playing just to give SE the chance to deliver on the promises.

Comment

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/re...fantasy/705893

Penny Arcade referred to it as less of a review and more of a condemnation and honestly, I'd have to agree with that assessment.

Comment

that review sums up my feeling perfectly.

- -

Comment

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/15/in...happy-players/

I don't understand most of this interview at all. They're "listening to our players" and yet didn't fix any of the multitude of problems with the UI, etc, because they were debugging? And they didn't fix any of the bugs because they were debugging? 2 months after the release of the game they've figured out how to stagger the patches. And I'm terribly confused about the mapping situation. They DO know they can store textures in memory and call them whenever they want with little overhead, instead of loading textures every single object, right? It seems like they're trying to say they can't.

They're most likely doing a patch release cycle like FFXI where it's a steady 6-9 months between "content patches" that includes all the fixes.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                        <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                        DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X