Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tacticalgamer AA-team

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [AAR] Tacticalgamer AA-team

    Well I mostly wanted to share these screens. I thought I had more, on the crown, but something went wrong with them :p.

    It is good fun running an AA squad; relaxedly staying behind the lines shooting ducks. One of my favorite things to do in a small squad at the moment.





    GG!

  • #2
    Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

    looks fun Al. I need to get on the Planetside bandwagon. If only to squad up with you.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

      It was pretty epic XD seeing all 8 maxes shooting at one galaxy...so much fire power. Best part was that the TR had extreme tank power below a ridge and they couldn't hit the maxes hahahaha
      Flying a reaver with this is also fun, just have the enemy follow you to the crown and BAM 8 AA shooting at him
      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

        I'd love to set up a MIP Reunion in this game. Last time I missed when John C played with finestyle. Sunday or friday I have most chance to be available for a long session.

        I'm finding all kinds of silly and fun things to do in this game, and I haven't tested half of them. In this game I was testing dedicated AA's effectiveness. It was very intresting to see thatafter a while we got to the center of the map, and then the two other factions basically stopped flying. We sat in the center of the map for 5 to 10 minutes without seeing any fighters at one point.

        Realistic is not really a word that is relevant to the title. But tactics and strategy certainly are important. SO much freedom to try things, and the opponents - two human factions, make for a very interesting and always changing opponent.

        If only Arma had a platoon interface, human opponents, good voip, and a consistent gameplay experience like planetside 2! I really hope this game raises the bar so that no one dares release games with bad or non-existent teamwork support.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

          Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
          I'd love to set up a MIP Reunion in this game. Last time I missed when John C played with finestyle. Sunday or friday I have most chance to be available for a long session.

          I'm finding all kinds of silly and fun things to do in this game, and I haven't tested half of them. In this game I was testing dedicated AA's effectiveness. It was very intresting to see thatafter a while we got to the center of the map, and then the two other factions basically stopped flying. We sat in the center of the map for 5 to 10 minutes without seeing any fighters at one point.

          Realistic is not really a word that is relevant to the title. But tactics and strategy certainly are important. SO much freedom to try things, and the opponents - two human factions, make for a very interesting and always changing opponent.

          If only Arma had a platoon interface, human opponents, good voip, and a consistent gameplay experience like planetside 2! I really hope this game raises the bar so that no one dares release games with bad or non-existent teamwork support.
          PR mod for PS2? I think yes! Haha just kidding, that would never work :(

          I do agree with what you are saying. I come from a PR background so while I value realism, whats far more important is teamwork, tactics, strategy, and communication. I prefer to have realism in the mix as well, but its kinda hard to make a game set on an alien planet in the future realistic ;) Not to mention it would make the playerbase smaller. But supporting the four other items I mentioned makes up for the lack of realism in my opinion.

          The AA team does sound like a really cool idea. I wish I could have been there, and would be interested to try doing it with y'all in the future.
          May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

            Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
            I come from a PR background so while I value realism, whats far more important is teamwork, tactics, strategy, and communication. I prefer to have realism in the mix as well, but its kinda hard to make a game set on an alien planet in the future realistic ;) Not to mention it would make the playerbase smaller. But supporting the four other items I mentioned makes up for the lack of realism in my opinion.
            I think when it comes to the type of games that TG plays, and the manner in which it plays them, realism is the wrong word to use. Strictly speaking no game is close to reality. I think a better way to look at it is two fold.

            * Are the mechanics reasonable for the setting?

            * Are the mechanics internally consistent?

            Is PS2 real? Heck no. But the mechanics of PS2 are reasonable for the futuristic setting. Furthermore they are internally consistent. As long as they remain so, the sense of realism will be real enough to allow our approach to the game to enhance the experience immensely. Heck, it worked for a year or two for BF2142, no? I always considered BF2142 to be the small-scale spiritual brother to PS and we had loads of fun in that game. So much so I still miss it. ;)
            "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

              Originally posted by Greyed View Post
              * Are the mechanics reasonable for the setting?

              * Are the mechanics internally consistent?
              I know what you mean. Your definition of realism is the one I'm looking for, the one which is most fun. In this sense PS2 is very rrealistic; even respawning is explained! I wish more people would use the definition of realism that you use. There are many that have an almost emotional tie to specific weapons, so called 'realistic' handling,... This always leads to developers putting in a lot of effort to make things realistic, and then they forget to make a game :p.

              @Solodaninja:

              To do the AA squad, all you need is a sunderer, so you can resupply your max. You get your bus, park it where you think you are safely behind freindly lines so that you are not too much at risk of running into enemy ground forces. THen you wait, kill.

              If the battle lines move, you just fall back or move up with them, staying safely away from all the dangerous fighting. Excellent relaxed fun for a small squad that maybe wants to chat a bit, or wait for more people to join.

              Everyone in the squad can get a max. No one has to be engi as you have the sundy to resupply (sundy with AMS-spawn). To move the vehicle you switch to engineer, drive to your destination, and then you switch back to max. You can do this every 8 minutes, which is enough for this type of squad. Normally you won't have to move that much.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

                Doesn't it cost resources to resupply the max via a terminal? Or did they patch that out?

                I'd like to throw an engi or two in there, as dropping ammo boxes is quicker to reload than having to use a terminal each time. It would also let you range farther from the sundie and make any repairs if the maxes or sundies do get damaged.

                Ps. The Engi gets awesome xp for that. +15 xp every time a squad member reloads ontop of the ammo box.
                Teamwork and Tactics are OP


                Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

                  REsupplying currently does noty cost resources.

                  The only reason I see for an engi to be there, is if someone wants to earn points whilst eating or something. The points are the only motivation I see as it is not needed.

                  One mosquito nets you between a hundred and 175 points afaik. So indeed the engie can make good money off of 6 maxes... Btw what would be the correct plural of "max"? :P

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

                    Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                    Btw what would be the correct plural of "max"? :P
                    Maxi? Maxes? A group of maxes is a crash. :D

                    Glad to see resupply is free now, It used to be that you would have to draw a new max in order to resupply at terminals. :S

                    Dropping in one engi would only reduce the firepower of a 12-man squad by 8.3%. Contrast that with the benefits of being able to keep maxes on the line while they reload and I would suggest that the engi would pay for himself i short order. Without an engi there is also no provision to repair a Sundie or max that gets hit with errant fire. (Or fall damage, as Maxes are susceptible to without shields)

                    As for the Sundie itself, perhaps it could serve as an emergency anti-vehicle platform. Traditionally the dual basilisks provide decent AA cover, but you already have a massive AA presence, so you could mount dual AT weapons in order to repel any enemy armor that sneaks through the lines and could make mincemeat of dedicated AA maxes.
                    Teamwork and Tactics are OP


                    Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

                      I'm not sure how many points you max suits got, but HOLY COW, I think I got ~80 credits just repairing and resupplying you guys.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

                        One thing they forget to mention was how effectively we shut down the enemy airpower. There were guys yelling out that the AA barrages were amazing to see. We effectively helped move the frontline forward. It took the enemy to abandon airpower and focus only on tank columns to assualt points, for them to start being able to resist the frontline from moving. If we had been able to cordinate with the ground teams better, it would have been epic contienent wipe, IMO.
                        sigpic




                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

                          My only question would be do you think it is more effective to run AA maxes or SkyGuards?
                          Teamwork and Tactics are OP


                          Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

                            Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                            My only question would be do you think it is more effective to run AA maxes or SkyGuards?
                            Probably a mix of both would be best. Maxes are a lot more maneuverable and are able to get into the trickiest of places; whereas the Skyguard is a lot faster to move, can fire while maneuvering and has a bunch of other upgrades that can increase its ability for Anti-Air purposes.
                            Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                            Former 31st RECCE Member

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Tacticalgamer AA-team

                              I'm a fan of the Max :D (I main an engineer); so I'm kind of selfish.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X