09/12/12 Armored Platoon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] 09/12/12 Armored Platoon

Forgive me if this is sloppy, but it's pretty late here.

Tonight we ran a big armored platoon under the leadership of BigGaayAl. We haven't really done many large-scale armored ops so I thought it warranted an AAR and discussion.

Let's start with the elephant in the room.

Al played his cards close to his chest. He kept us together and was very cautious in moving us around. This kept us out of a lot of the fights, and we spent long periods of time with no targets. This grated on some of us. We pushed the boundaries at times and made it hard on Al, and he had to make it hard on us to rein us in.

But what this did was keep us alive. We only truly had to reform the platoon once the entire night. Our cohesion at one point allowed us to survive a truly massive aerial onslaught. Tanks are much more difficult to reform than infantry, costing resources and having to be brought up from distant outposts or the warpgate, meaning that each loss is felt harder.

Sod it. I can't stay awake any longer. Please add your comments, what you thought went well, what you thought went poorly, you know the drill.
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Re: 09/12/12 Armored Platoon

I thought it was fun. However, I do wish Al would have let us loose in the lightnings a little sooner. It was definitely nice to see a large armour platoon stay alive as long as we did. We took quite a bit of ground on Esamir.
    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
    Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

that much armor... O_O I think range really hindered us. Mechanically in the game, the render distance sucked (which we can't change yet) but then also, just the aggressiveness. Al was doing an awesome job getting us all together and focused on one goal, but we had so much power!!

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Tell you what guys, when I dropped in on four TG squads with armor last night, I was like Holy Sh*t, that looks awesome! :-)

Comment

Was great fun last night.

My only complaint is how much time Al had to spend reining in the ones who wanted to charge in Against orders all the time! If you want a different tactic from what the Platoon leader is doing. (FORM YOUR OWN PLATOON!!!!) The Platoon leader shouldn't have to threaten a kick to get obedience!!!
          You need to follow your leaders commands all the time not just when it suits you. There is a time to discuss tactics and there is a time to listen. On the battlefield is not discussion time. Unless the leader asks for it.

Sorry rant over Todd
          sigpic

Comment

It was fantastic !
            There were some issues with people who are not familiar with the chain of command but this was an awesome first step !
            Soon we will have all 3 branches working like this and we will be unstoppable.
            Great Job BigGaayAl and everyone else, it was a great way to end the 2x Exp weekend.
            You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
            So that when they turn their backs on you,
            You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Fighting off that massive air assault was amazing.

Comment

I only caught a couple of images, but I was running one of the AMS/Ammor Resupply Sundys. Epic!

Al's smoke!

Comment

09/12/12 Armored Platoon

Great time! The one thing I would have liked to add was some interaction with the infantry squad that John was running. There weren't a whole lot of places to go, so we knew they were around...but I was never certain that both the armor platoon and infantry squad/platoon were working in the same area towards a similar objective.

I contrast our armor work in the evening with my own (first) attempt at platoon leading earlier in the day. I had two infantry squads working on several objectives. Al had an air squad working, and all I had to do was call for air support and it showed up. :). Very cool.

A most fun weekend...although my wife is giving me "the look". I hate that too much Planetside "look".

Great Job as always, Al. Thanks.

Snarlin

Comment

I think the op illustrates the importance of combined arms coordination. Stopping the air and ground assault on the road north of the Traverse was pretty impressive. But later on we ended up firing on a position occupied by our own troops. We also spent so much time lining up our defensive line at Jaeger's that a small infantry squad was able to get in around us and score some C4 hits, plus they got a Mag in behind us, all while the tower itself was being capped and us with no way to stop it.

So great coordination of armor and logistics, but next time we should consider having a mixed squad with more recon and some grunts to take objectives and do point defense.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

loved it, wish i had fraps runnign to get some shots of the air raid, it was insane
                      and props to daddyofthree and undead (and whoever else) with their resupply sundy's, we couldnt have manouvered the way we did ywithout your ammo!
                      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Alrighty. After six hours standing in freezing rain, I'm refreshed enough to post rationally.

- Armored operations are increasingly difficult the less territory you control, as drivers will start to use resources faster than they can earn them. Not much that can be done about this unless SOE changes the rules on earning resources.

Things that went well

- Use of smoke to mark out unit placement. Rather than fumbling through verbally describing "Fan out from that spire on the left of axis to that rock on the right... no, the other rock, no, the other identical snow-covered rock!" Al's use of smoke was able to get people in place rapidly and give them a stationary reference frame to prevent the unit drifting out of position.

- Ammo resupply. Having two ammo sundies up most of the time was phenomenal. I figure that when I am without an ammo sundie nearby in an assault I can spend a third of my time going back for ammo. Effectively, the ammo sundie increases the firepower I can put downrange by 50%. Scale that up to the platoon, and that's a huge force multiplier - you can have all your tanks on the line all the time, rather than having 1 in 3 on an ammo run. You are able to put more hurt on the enemy, and withstand attacks better because you don't get caught on the wrong foot with units out of the line.

- Unit cohesion. I touched on this before, but I wanted to emphasize how important this was to our longevity last night. Move in groups and stay handy your AA cover. There is nothing enemy air likes to see more than overextended tanks.

Points to Work on

- We could use some SOPs for what drivers should do when they do lose their tanks. We wound up with a lot of infantry running around with our tanks. Decide if you're going to man a secondary Vanguard gun or go draw another tank.

- Pay more attention to the unit's flanks. A single line is great for maximum forward firepower, but multiple times during the night we wound up with infantry, air power, Magriders and other assorted nasties rolling up our flanks or attacking us from behind. This is a good way to employ a couple lightnings, watching the flanks and rear of the main line of Vanguards.

- We did a good job with concentration of force and utilizing the massive firepower of the tanks. Tanks have a second advantage though, mobility, which I feel was under-utilized. We could work a bit on our aggression and violence of action. Tanks aren't actually all that strong defensively. Holding a position takes away the mobility that is both a big part of a tank's advantage and a big part of what keeps it alive.

Additional Observations

- Vanguards can fix the enemy, Lightnings can flank and destroy them. Vanguards have the power to slug it out with the enemy front line, trade fire at medium to long range and generally get all the enemy's attention on them while being strong enough to withstand the fire they draw. While the enemy is fixated, Lightnings can rapidly flank, rolling up the enemy's occupied tank lines and devastating the rear of the enemy lines, taking out spawn sundies and tanks under repair.

- To go with the above point, Lightning tanks can be absolutely devastating with 100mm guns. BlackPython and I in particular were able to work some real miracles with these devilish beasts. The low profile of the Lighting makes it easy to sneak around behind and devastate enemy positions. I would love to see what a lance of 3-4 good Lightning drivers could do to an enemy flank.

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

A comment to add to the progression of battle with the flanking lightnings, as the vanguard's draw the fire forward and the lightnings hit their objective on the flanks the enemy front line will move back dramatically to kill the lightnings, with that the vanguard front line can move in to finish off the job.
                          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                            Alrighty. After six hours standing in freezing rain, I'm refreshed enough to post rationally.

- Armored operations are increasingly difficult the less territory you control, as drivers will start to use resources faster than they can earn them. Not much that can be done about this unless SOE changes the rules on earning resources.

Things that went well

- Use of smoke to mark out unit placement. Rather than fumbling through verbally describing "Fan out from that spire on the left of axis to that rock on the right... no, the other rock, no, the other identical snow-covered rock!" Al's use of smoke was able to get people in place rapidly and give them a stationary reference frame to prevent the unit drifting out of position.

- Ammo resupply. Having two ammo sundies up most of the time was phenomenal. I figure that when I am without an ammo sundie nearby in an assault I can spend a third of my time going back for ammo. Effectively, the ammo sundie increases the firepower I can put downrange by 50%. Scale that up to the platoon, and that's a huge force multiplier - you can have all your tanks on the line all the time, rather than having 1 in 3 on an ammo run. You are able to put more hurt on the enemy, and withstand attacks better because you don't get caught on the wrong foot with units out of the line.

- Unit cohesion. I touched on this before, but I wanted to emphasize how important this was to our longevity last night. Move in groups and stay handy your AA cover. There is nothing enemy air likes to see more than overextended tanks.

Points to Work on

- We could use some SOPs for what drivers should do when they do lose their tanks. We wound up with a lot of infantry running around with our tanks. Decide if you're going to man a secondary Vanguard gun or go draw another tank.

- Pay more attention to the unit's flanks. A single line is great for maximum forward firepower, but multiple times during the night we wound up with infantry, air power, Magriders and other assorted nasties rolling up our flanks or attacking us from behind. This is a good way to employ a couple lightnings, watching the flanks and rear of the main line of Vanguards.

- We did a good job with concentration of force and utilizing the massive firepower of the tanks. Tanks have a second advantage though, mobility, which I feel was under-utilized. We could work a bit on our aggression and violence of action. Tanks aren't actually all that strong defensively. Holding a position takes away the mobility that is both a big part of a tank's advantage and a big part of what keeps it alive.

Additional Observations

- Vanguards can fix the enemy, Lightnings can flank and destroy them. Vanguards have the power to slug it out with the enemy front line, trade fire at medium to long range and generally get all the enemy's attention on them while being strong enough to withstand the fire they draw. While the enemy is fixated, Lightnings can rapidly flank, rolling up the enemy's occupied tank lines and devastating the rear of the enemy lines, taking out spawn sundies and tanks under repair.

- To go with the above point, Lightning tanks can be absolutely devastating with 100mm guns. BlackPython and I in particular were able to work some real miracles with these devilish beasts. The low profile of the Lighting makes it easy to sneak around behind and devastate enemy positions. I would love to see what a lance of 3-4 good Lightning drivers could do to an enemy flank.
                            I agree with the lightnings. A lot of people dont utilize the lightning because they sit next to vanguards and dont do anything. It is absolutely DEVASTATING when vanguards get their attention in a long range duel while lightnings flank.

On another note, I think the lightning HE gun is underrated. It still does a good bit of damage against tanks (If you get behind an MBT you can take it down in just a few shots) and the splash damage against infantry is impressive. I am not saying it should replace the AP lightnings, but it does have a very important role that it is very good at: Sundy hunting. I have farmed so much XP from taking my HE lightning around the long way to find their sunday. Sure, an AP lightning can do the same thing, but you wont be getting the infantry kills as well. At least one or two HE lightnings are a welcome complement to any armored column, IMO.
                            May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
                              On another note, I think the lightning HE gun is underrated. It still does a good bit of damage against tanks (If you get behind an MBT you can take it down in just a few shots) and the splash damage against infantry is impressive. I am not saying it should replace the AP lightnings, but it does have a very important role that it is very good at: Sundy hunting. I have farmed so much XP from taking my HE lightning around the long way to find their sunday. Sure, an AP lightning can do the same thing, but you wont be getting the infantry kills as well. At least one or two HE lightnings are a welcome complement to any armored column, IMO.
                              I ran an AP Lightning in the beta, back before the 100mm guns were buffed. I loved it.

Now I run an HE Lightning and I love it more. It of course mulches infantry like nobody's business but as you stated, it still does significant armor damage. A rear-shot will drop a Magrider to around half-health. Once you get a shot like that, the fight is basically over. Theoretically an AP Lightning will down a sundie faster, but the HE gun will be able to take out repairing engineers while still dealing hull damage.

If the numbers posted on the forums are to be believed, the HE gun does about 62% of the direct damage of the AP gun, or 85% the damage of the 100 mm HEAT.

Other random facts (again, if the numbers supposedly pulled from the game files are to be believed)
                              - Projectile speeds for HE and AP are about 12% slower or faster than HEAT, respectively
                              - HEAT, HE or AP shell travel speeds are the same regardless of vehicle
                              - 100mm AP does almost the exact same damage per shot as the Magrider HEAT
                              - The Prowler would have the highest DPS of any tank by a significant margin if you could hit anything with that terrible recoil
                              - The stock Lightning cannon would still have a terrible DPS, even if you could hit every shot with that terrible recoil
                              - The 75mm is the only tank gun with horizontal recoil
                              - Gravity acts more powerfully on the stock Lighting's shells. Even physics itself hates that useless 75mm.
                              - Lightning AP and HEAT out-DPS the AP and HEAT shells of the Magrider and Vanguard

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X