12/14: A night of new things...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] 12/14: A night of new things...

First off, a big thank you to all of those who let me lead tonight, and put up with me haha. There were several times when I had PC issues and crashed or got distracted by a real life issue, but my squad leaders did a great job of stepping up to the plate in my temporary absences. I am super proud of my platoon for doing as well as we did. But I really want to talk about the unique things we did tonight.

It started off pretty calm, the server had just come back up so when I accepted control of our TG squad I thought we probably wouldnt even get bigger than one squad... I was wrong. Before long we had grown to platoon size strength. It was at that point I tried doing a platoon text chat vote on what continent we go to, and we warped to Indar. I was itching to get really nitpicky about our organization so we spent a few minutes in warpgate, transferring people around squads depending on their role of preference. We ended up with two infantry squads and one armor squad. We rolled out south and spent a good while fighting the VS, nothing out of the ordinary. Then we switched north and tried to duke it out up there, but we were just getting overwhelmed by the TR. That was when the coalition came in.

A lot of people have scoffed at me certing into the command channel for leaders, but it has really payed off. We were getting steamrolled back to our warpgate, and I put in a desperate plea for help in the leader channel, and got multiple responses. I come to find out that apparently there is an alliance on mattherson known as the NC coalition. One of the leaders invited me to join them in the coalition teamspeak, a server just for outfit/platoon leaders. Here I found myself in a channel with 15 leaders of the biggest NC outfits on mattherson. WMD, TAS, CML, SG, and many others, they were all there.

We then proceeded to work together to take back the eastern side of the map. I dont think a lot of the platoon members really saw all the coordination going on. Our platoon was actually coordinating ops with 200+ soldiers on the continent. It was so much easier to proceed with the objective when you knew you had reliable folk watching your back. To clarify, it wasnt one outfit telling the others the plan, it was merely a channel where each leader would announce where he is taking his people, and then they would report with intel on the sector, and call for backup if needed. There was a LOT of coordination. I would announce where I was taking my platoon and then more often than not there would be another outfit that would offer to take an adjacent territory to ease the pressure, or attack it with us, or from a different direction. There were several times that the coalition saved our bacon. Honestly the coordination between outfits/platoons lead to some of the best fun I have had in-game for forever. The platoon members kind of knew what was going on, I would tell them when another outfit would come to back us up, or coordinate an assault with us, but I doubt they realize how much we really worked with other outfits tonight. Honestly, I think being in the coalition TS is almost a must for a PL. You dont have to work together with another outfit if you dont want too, you are still independent, but it is a great source of intelligence, and the ability to call in skilled reinforcements reliably is INVALUABLE.

Anyways, some highlights of the night...

CML was desperately trying to hold Crimson Bluff, but they were under heavy assault from the enclave, and their only chance was to take out their sunderers. The problem? The enclave had an entire air force swarming them. And by Air Force, I mean 25+ Mosquitos and at least 5 Liberators. They called for air support, and I redeployed my platoon to warpgate and we all grabbed reavers. And I mean we ALL did. That was 30 reavers right there. Then a different outfit sent a couple squads to do so as well. I know we have tried mass reaver ops before, but most of the time they are confused and chaotic. With this one, I made sure we all waited on the ground until everyone was ready, then we all climbed to max altitude together before moving out in a massive formation. As soon as we reached the waypoint we all rolled on our backs and just tore into the TR air force with our massive wall of reavers. I can only imagine what it looked like from the ground to see 50 reavers diving down at all those mossies. Needless to say, the air battle didnt last long. The outfit on the ground used smoke to mark their sunderers and we quickly dispatched those too, and the battle was over. Dont get me wrong, obviously we werent all reaver experts, few were. But our sheer numbers enabled us to win an epic victory then. And guess what? Even if you are somebody who also says they cant participate in air ops because they suck at flying, that was a heck of a lot of fun for everybody.

From there we went to capture Rashnu bio lab, but the TR had a strong hold on it and we couldnt get in. Thats when a different outfit invited us to participate in a max crash with them. I know we have tried to do max crashes as an outfit, but those always involve like 6 maxes. Tonight, we plowed into Rashnu with at least 30 maxes at the exact same time, and despite the suckyness of our maxes, it absolutely smashed their previously strong defense. Al was giggling like a 6th grade girl ;) haha. That lead to one of the funniest moments of the night when the maxes ran out onto the pad, and a squad of TR went up the pad simultaneously. I am sure they thought they were a force to be reckoned with, and normally they would be. But as soon as they came up the lift, they were face to face with 2 dozen maxes along with a swarm of normal infantry. It was quite comical.

Anyways, my ramble is over. Now I would like to hear from you guys on not only what yall thought of tonights ops, but what you would think of using the tactics talked about tonight. Recap: Platoon split into dedicated role squads (such as 2 inf, 1 armor, 1 air), max crashes, reaver crashes, and most importantly, coordination between platoons.
    May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Re: 12/14: A night of new things...

I had an excellent game tonight in a TG lead platoon operating around Rashnu kicking Enclave butt.

I arrived as my squad was defending Howling Pass Checkpoint while the rest of the platoon was at NS Refinery and Abandoned Offices. Soon the TR, most likely the Enclave, sent a major force to stop our push towards Mao and to capture Rashnu.
    During the next three hours we got pushed back all the way to the biolab but we managed to hold it against a huge attack that was going on for what seemed like hours.
    While we held up the major TR force other outfits have captured surrunding areas cutting the enemies supply line. With the TR now surrounded by blue their demise was swift and inevitable.

It was the most intense three hours i've ever seen in PS2. The teamwork and organization was excellent thanks to our leadership, SoloDaNinja as platoon leader and BigGayAl, Assault9, DaddyOfThree, Ytman, and Th3Mafia as squadleaders.
    Thanks for everyone who participated, this is how this game should be played TG style.

Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
    Anyways, some highlights of the night...
    Last edited by Buflak; 12-15-2012, 05:36 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for posting the video! That reveals a lot of stuff I didn't notice the first time. Primarily that I was mistaken about our reaver strength, apparently the majority of the Templars (the outfit flying with us) joined the fight later, so we most definitely didn't have 50 reavers at the same time. Also it appears that the massive TR air force was gone from Crimson Bluff by the time we got there. I saw several mossies, both in the video and when it happened, but it appears to be less than a dozen. I noticed when it first happened, but didn't think much of it, assumed our fleet had already taken care of it haha.

Comment

Ha! Awesome ending on the video.

Comment

Might wanna post videos like this in the recruitment thread btw.

Comment

Not to sound like too much of a noob but who is the Enclave ?
            I had to leave early but it was a lot of fun and personally I don't mind waiting around a little to get the squads sorted out properly.
            You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
            So that when they turn their backs on you,
            You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

I got on for a few hours last night, including the big Reaver counter attack, really great fun. Things like the organized squad attacks, and now the multi-Outfit coordination I think really help make PS2 a killer game that doesn't have an equal.

I also like the idea of role specific squads for larger operations, make sense on several levels. For smaller operations I could see mixed squads coming in to play, really depends I think a lot on the scope and mission. But for sure on the big groups splitting up the roles feels like it could work well. Something to consider is for vehicle based groups there is the cool-down to contend with after you lose your vehicle and the lose of resources. So perhaps having a back-up plan or even alternating squads might be something to think about.

Does the NC Coalition have a website or anything?

And... definitely thanks for leading the crew!
              Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

I had a great time last night and really appreciated DaddyOfThree's squad leadership. Planetside was always at its best when multiple outfits coordinated attacks across the continent, and the same will hold true for PS2.

"Oratio Ultima Regem -- The Last Argument of Kings"

Comment

While I've only been playing Planetside 2 for a week or two now, last night was my first really enjoyable time playing. There were battles within battles, objectives, squad comms and the entire platoon working toward multiple objectives. And to top it all off... it was FUN!!

We spent a few minutes here or there deciding where to move or regrouping but the wait wasn't too long. The decision to move to Indar in the early goings was key.

SoloDaNINJA did a great job leading the platoon. I thought we were more successful than SoloDaNINJA's post but there were a few occasions where we were pushed off an objective. However, there was a few were I thought we were done and we managed to hold the objective.

It was great seeing some of the old faces from BF2 and BF2142.

Good times!
                  |TG-88th| DaddyOfThree

Comment

Originally posted by CallousDisregard View Post
                    Not to sound like too much of a noob but who is the Enclave ?
                    I had to leave early but it was a lot of fun and personally I don't mind waiting around a little to get the squads sorted out properly.
                    The enclave is a TR outfit, they are well known because they are currently the largest TR outfit in Planetside 2, with over 1300 members. They are very well organized and their leader, BuzzCutPsycho, knows what he's doing. There is a lot of controversy regarding them, sometimes they just seem to Zerg, there is talk of some racism within the outfit, and BuzzCut has a mean temper, but love them or hate them, when they decide they want the hex you're in, you're gonna know it. Do not underestimate them.

It's an interesting situation for NC on Matherson, because even though the overall population is balanced, outfits, not so much. The TR has their 2 biggest outfits here (Black Widow company has over 1000 members as well, they were the TR outfit for the dev's outfit spotlight) and even the VS have their mega outfit here (Azure Twlight, also featured in the outfit spotlight) whilst unfortunately our devil dogs are off fighting on a western server. The coalition is extra useful because that's enough players to handle a Zerg from any of the 3 big enemy outfits.

Btw I was mistaken about us facing the enclave last night. We did run into one squad of them, but we never encountered their main force. We did trade fire with Black Widow Company quite a bit, even defeated their max crash.

Comment

so jealous...that sounds like it was friggin sweet, wish I had been on.

Comment

From last night:

Best viewed in 1080p
                        sigpic

Comment

BuzzCut is also almost rank 80, if not by now or higher. The account is played by multiple people, not within the same household either.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD View Post
                            BuzzCut is also almost rank 80, if not by now or higher. The account is played by multiple people, not within the same household either.
                            Source? I have watched his stream at all hours of the day, and never seen anybody but him playing. His voice isn't easily mistaken.

Comment

This certainly was a lot of fun. It felt like we were making more of a difference than usual, both because of the extra outfit co-ordination and the various tactics.

I think we should MAX crash more often. I've seen it used effectively to take/resecure bio-labs etc. but we rarely seem to use them besides for AA.

Thanks to all the squad leaders, and to Solo for great platoon leading. Especially for taking up the coalition on their offer part way into the night, and sorting out communication with them.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X