1st PS2 Two-Platoon Trial: 01/03/2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] 1st PS2 Two-Platoon Trial: 01/03/2013

Some quick thoughts on the trial run on a two-platoon formation from last night.

At 9:30 I broke off from the platoon to attempt to form a second squad or two to provide a test for the two-platoon. Next time I will do this much earlier as it takes 30 to 60 minutes to gather enough pubbies to create two or more squads.

I tried to communicate two JohnF, PL#1, via OUTFIT voip (broken), and Command voip channel -- neither worked.

Eventually JohnF moved me and other SLs into a TS command channel, which will be the format to follow in the future.

Main issue was that the Company Commander, JohnF, was "wearing three hats" -- I assume John was trying to lead his own squad, lead his platoon, and direct the Company. He recognized that this was too much and adapted as the trial progressed. There are numerous solutions to this that can be explored in future trials.

The multi-platoon Company can and will work, and I foresee much use of it by TG in the future.

I am of the "the more the merrier" (and more powerful) mindset.

My plan for tonight is to immediately begin building a 'pick-up' platoon of pubbies along with one or two TGers (to serve as squad leaders).

Once I have an effective small platoon I will contact the main TG platoon via teamspeak and request for a joint operation, with the main TG PL acting as Company Commander.

At this point it would be advisable for the PLs, CO, and SLs to move into a separate TS channel for cleaner and more effective comms.

The rest of the details we can iron out as we go along.

I think it will be possible to combine a solid TG platoon with a 'pick-up' platoon of pubbies and a few TGers and thus provide a basis for Company trials, without stretching the resources of the main TG platoon to the point of ineffectiveness (small squads spread out over two platoons = erosion of force ratios).

Overall, not a bad first trail run.

Videos to follow.
    sigpic

Re: 1st PS2 Two-Platoon Trial: 01/03/2013

You are correct, I was trying to wear three hats for a while and that quickly provide futile. For the next event I've got it planned out to have two dedicated PLs with 3 squad leaders under them each. That will give us two platoons of three squads. I feel this fits better than four, especially with the way a lot of the capture mechanics work. Still, will need more testing for sure. For comms I think just the CO and the PLs should be in TS to reduce comms as much as possible. I would also feel that with all the other comms PL's are having to deal with using actual "call signs" at that level is warranted to get the PL's attention. This should help prevent comms confusion as I noticed Grizzle didn't always relies it was me talking to him last night. Not a knock on Grizzle, just and understanding of his troubles and adaptation to them. From the CO level, I need to give more "generalized" orders and avoid the urge to run the "company" as just a large 6 squad platoon. Looking forward to the "Death Race" video. We are going to try and Sunderer version of it next week. With those things being so top heavy and cumbersome I think much hilarity will ensue.

Comment

The race:

sigpic

Comment

hey just a thought,
        a second platoon will be awesome, and this post is more of a "thanks for everything emale and to ALL of our amazing leadership members!" Because after all the amazing things you do for TG Emale i gotta give you mad props for being willing to drop the fun organized "Tactical" platoon where we can actually FEEL that sense of accomplishment everytime we start moving away from a base we've just slaughtered as a giant organized unit!.... but to break off from that just to add to the T.G.-operation's overall effectiveness?! Man i gotta give you and all the other leadership guys kudos for that!
        If you ever need a squad leader to help manage all that pubbie-chaos just ask! i mean everyone knows its A LOT more fun to just lie back and follow orders and conquer everything that moves and not have to "think" as much as leadership does,.... i guess what im trying to say is, what makes "Tactical Gamer" stand out when compared to other outfits is that pretty much every single one of us is willing to step up into that leadership role and try to organize the chaos, and as a result provide [Ia Ton more funfor everyone else![/I]

Comment

I had some troubles at first as I wasn't sure If I was waiting on orders from John after each Cap or pushback or if I should just keep on giving orders myself. Agree with what John has said about the comm system needing some improvement. Between the TS comms, outfit comms, Squad Comms,platoon comms and the occasional proximity comms I almost never had a moment of no voices going into my ears, which made it hard to give orders and hear what the SL's and CO were trying to say.

The last 45 minutes someone (sorry I forgot who) suggested I move myself over to delta squad since it was empty, so that helped alleviate some of the stress of the constant voice chat.

Comment

Yeah. Its just easier that way.

I find it just a heck of a lot easier to have the PL moved to a whole new squad. This does hurt overall platoon size but I figure that, theoretically, it'd be more suitable to have two platoons (or THREE!!! ^^) @ 3 squads w/ 1 Command Element than one and a half of a platoon.

I could phrase a whole argument about the rule of three and how it is a better use of assets as it facilitates easier logistics and more maneuverability...

As a way to test Company Ops, and more particularly the command structure of them, we do not need to wait to have full platoons and could just have two platoons of two squads each. This will get us to find the inevitable hiccups and what we need to fix/anticipate/understand is possible of the method.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X