Continent: ESAMIR
    Duration of Command: Approx. 45 minutes

Squad Leaders
    Garthra Alpha
    Phaelah Bravo
    Shonzu Charlie
    Sharlin Delta

Command Notes
    Wyattmann handed over a 4 squad platoon at 10:15 EST. Our current position had collapsed so the platoon was ordered back to WarpGate and all were instructed to pull Liberators, ensure all gun seats were full, and compliment with Reavers.

The objective was Geological Survey.

The initial air assault was followed with a conversion to ground assault. After 45 minutes it was clear that the force ratio was not in our favour. The platoon was pushed off the objective and command was handed over to DaddyofThree.

All squad leaders adhered to comm SOPs and provided command with excellent support.

Documentation
    A 5:48 video record was created, focusing on command comms.

sigpic

Re: 21/03/2013 feat. E-Male as PL

One thing I can point out is that it is incredibly difficult to get casual players, even outfit players, to follow specific 'unintuitive' orders.
    The 'unituitive' merely means not spawning at the point closest to battle and charging at the bad guys. The maneuver element on the squad level is
    what we really need seek to perfect.

Generally the initial point of entry is great but it begins to get hairy as a battle develops and particularily when we take heavy casualties yet
    still have an easy to spawn on AMS near by.

Comment

Indeed, one of the hardest things to do is convince players to not waste their assets or their lives by foolishly rushing into an enemy position, and similar errors.

I have noticed that there is a strong correlation between issuing precise orders (what some misunderstand to be micromanaging) and getting cohesive action.

A squad leader has to continually assert authority to break the bad habits of his men and get some degree of compliance.

This has implications for squad and platoon tactics, as the efficiency of any given unit will vary dramatically according to its make-up.
      sigpic

Comment

Nice vid E-Male. I had Delta squad lead. The Liberator assault was cool as always. My squad's lib's got knocked out from above. Maybe next time call for "Liberators at 700. Reavers at 850." Realize the point of the air raid was more for fun...but we didn't last very long. We made it perhaps 180 of the first circle around the base.

Once down on the ground, Delta set up on North-West side of Geologic Survey. The night was my first chance to try out my brand new full-bar Squad Spawn Beacon so I was pretty pumped. We tried several assaults. Did a good job of staying together. Worked best when we moved around and flanked from the East. We had the flag about 75% in our favor one time, but then got pushed back off the point. It was then that I called for another squad to help.

We had a Sunderer they were searching for to the North, and had 10-15 searching for us there...thus my call to hit from the South quickly. Still no luck. As we reinforced, the enemy reinforced as well.

My last idea was to bottle them up in that SW building. The "A" point is directly below the building and two doors open up to pretty much a direct line of fire at the point. They can get to that building from their spawn via the back door. I thought that if Delta could bottle them up, or at least keep them busy...even as fodder, then the rest could hit the point.

So...tried three tactics...none of which worked.
        1. Generic flanking maneuver.
        2. Dual strike. Pull away the defense. Hit from opposite side.
        3. Blocking maneuver. Hit behind the block.

We probably could have pulled off maybe 5 minutes earlier, but as I said then..."It was fun".

Snarlin

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlin View Post
          Nice vid E-Male. I had Delta squad lead. The Liberator assault was cool as always. My squad's lib's got knocked out from above. Maybe next time call for "Liberators at 700. Reavers at 850." Realize the point of the air raid was more for fun...but we didn't last very long . . .
          Thanks -- great having you has an SL (you sound a lot like DaddyofThree!).

Yes, the air assault was entirely meant as a fun opening gambit. I fully expected to to be short lived.

I have a few more comments to make regarding what I learned, but will post these in the Platoon Leading for Dummies thread tomorrow.
          sigpic

Comment

I like at the end when the SL says, "I can confirm that there is no hope." hahaha
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X