09/04/13 BigGaayAl, then phaelah as PLs "The Siege at Jaeger's Crossing"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 09/04/13 BigGaayAl, then phaelah as PLs "The Siege at Jaeger's Crossing"

BigGaayAl started out early, forming an Alpha air squad consisting mostly of Libs with a couple Reavers. Shortly thereafter, other Outfit members formed Bravo and Charlie infantry squads. After a while, Al had to call it a night and I took over the Alpha air squad. Phaelah took over PL duties.

I changed the air squad composition slightly, as I like to fly Gal, which I did with a couple gunners plus the remainder of Alpha in Reavers and I think we had one or two Libs up at various times. We flew CAS in support of the infantry squads. I have been employing the tower base of operations strategy in my air operations as of late, which we continued to do last evening (and with the continued strengthening of all the tower phalanx guns, the feasibility of a tower defense strategy has only increased). This necessitated Alpha air squad to fall back to our tower on a couple of occasions to defend it as an infantry squad, even if this meant we were separated from the other two infantry squads at times. I am pleased to report that we were successful in defending our tower all night, including repulsing not less that 2 separate full attacks by several squads or a platoon or more. It is during one of these defenses that was most memorable that I will report on here.

We were operating on Esamir, started out almost warpgated but had pushed up to hold the territories north of the tower at Jaeger's Crossing. When the front lines had moved beyond it far enough that it was safe (1-2 territories) Alpha air squad set up shop there, supporting Bravo and Charlie infantry squads operating in the areas north and northeast of the tower until they came into contact with overwhelming forces (platoonS) at Freyr Amp Station. At that particular point in time, Alpha squad was pretty shot up and all of us downed pilots even formed up as an infantry squad and attempted a Max crash as a last ditch effort to try and pull the situation out of the fire at the Amp Station. Eventually, however, we were overwhelmed by hordes of mouth breathers with no tactics whatsoever. Eh, it happens. :row__522: Alpha air squad fell back and re-spawned at our tower, and phaelah made the call for the rest of the Platoon to regroup at the warp gate and pull armor, while I presume he studied the map and was deciding on the Platoon's next objective.

Checking my map back at our tower, I noticed we had lost Andvari Bio Lab (2 territories away, northwest) and that platoonS were moving into and capping Jaeger's Fist (the territory immediately north of our tower). I knew that we would be next, so I told all of my squad who was not there already to quickly hit delete and redeploy to our tower at Jaeger's Crossing and to prepare a defense. We quickly manned all the guns and sure enough soon squads of infantry began trying to pour over the hill to the north-west of our tower. But we were ready for them. We shelled them from our cannons, and a group of about 5-6 smurf snipers (plus one from our own squad, GrickleGrass) formed up on our NW corner on one of the upper floors and rained down long range leaden death upon the hapless infantry. I backed up the snipers as a Medic, providing resurrections as they occasionally went down. When I wasn't doing that, I would run around the tower and look through my scoped rifle to the north and northeast to make sure we weren't being flanked. GrickleGrass was having a ball getting tons of kills and saying it was the perfect situation for a sniper. He also astutely noted that if they would all just push on us at once we would have been quickly overwhelmed. DarkTopher (an airborne infantryman IRL!) helped me maintain situational awareness by also informing me when a Sundy and some infantry tried to set up shop to the east of the tower at the outlying point. I quickly said in prox for a few of the smurf snipers to redirect their fires to the east, which they did. Cannons took out the Sundy, and a couple friendly infantry went in and cleaned out the few infantry who were left in the building. We were hanging in there, but I knew we were facing overwhelming numbers and could not hold out forever. Also, I knew that our one squad plus some smurfs did not have enough manpower on hand to strike out and take out the enemy Sundy(ies?) that I knew must be to the northwest of the tower, behind the hill. So the call went out over the Platoon net...

Randy: "Alpha comms."

phaelah: "Go Alpha."

Randy: "We are under heavy attack at Jaeger's Crossing from several squads of infantry pouring over the hill to our northwest. I'm sure they have one or more Sundies back there. We are too short of manpower here to push out, we are barely maintaining our defense. Can you deploy your armor and try and take them out?"

phaelah: "Yes, we can do that."

Those of us on the tower continued to hold off the steady stream of infantry that kept flowing over the hill to the northwest. If they had taken the time to stop at the Sundy and all form up together and come in all at once, instead of coming in in a nice single file line like a bunch of ants to a picnic, we surely would have all been doomed. And I knew it was only a matter of time until the enemy realized that. I kept running around the upper parapets of the tower, redirecting fires and telling all the troops (squad and smurf alike) in prox, "hang in there boys, the cavalry is on the way! We have 2 squads of armor inbound!" After what seemed like an eternity (but I'm sure was really only a minute or two) I looked west and saw the lead elements of our armor and I again said in prox to my troops, "if you look to your west you will see our armor moving in to flank their sundies!"

What I did not realize until I opened my map was that phaelah had deployed one of the armor squads (I forgot which, Bravo maybe?) to swing around from the west, while Charlie squad had circled around to the east of our tower. I suddenly realized that our armor was going to sandwich them from both sides!

I was so impressed with phaelah's deployment of our armor in coming to our rescue, I said the following in Platoon comms, for all to hear:

Randy: "Alpha comms."

phaelah: "Go Alpha."

Randy: "That is a damn fine pincer movement you are executing there! And boy, are we sure glad to see you!"

I could not see (from my point of view) exactly what happened on the far side of the hill, but I know that it was not good for the bad guys, as they would have been caught in the open with armor coming in on them from both sides. :D

At that point, I think some other people in the Platoon must have opened their maps to look also, as I know at least one person in my squad (I believe it was GrickleGrass) remarked to me about how nice it is when organization, discipline and tactics all come together in game for a nice victory. I told him that he had hit the nail right on the head, and that that was what TG was all about! It was a really good feeling, good enough that it motivated me to take the time to write up this AAR. I know many people in the Platoon at that time must have felt the same way. I now only regret not having the presence of mind at the time to capture some screenies of the pincer in map view, they would have made a fine addition to this AAR. I therefore instead substitute the above map capture, taken after the fact (today) with unit movements notated in the finest style of childish scrawl in Paint, by yours truly. :D

Therefore, I would urge anyone who witnesses something cool in game to try and remember to capture the moment "on film." That way you can add it in to someone else's AAR (or even write up your own!) later when you have the time. To capture a video, press Page Up to begin recording, and Page Up again to stop. Or, where appropriate (map screen maybe?), take a screen shot. Is there a screen shot button built into the client like their is for video? If not, I think the Windows system key of Print Screen will capture a shot to the clipboard, which you can then open Paint or some such and paste and then save.

I did, however, capture some B-roll earlier in the evening of BigGaayAl and Mindkill (I believe it was) trying to right one of their Libs that some moron had flipped at the warpgate. Several squadmates as well as even a few smurf Reaver pilots and tank drivers attempted to asist, to no avail. But it was pretty fun to watch and hear all the comments about "this is how baby Libs are made" or "what happens when you cross a Lib with a Reaver." lol So, E-Male I know you were filming as well, if you would like some additional footage for an upcoming comedy reel, PM me or post here and I will get it to you.
    Attached Files
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Re: 09/04/13 BigGaayAl, then phaelah as PLs "The Siege at Jaeger's Crossing"

It sure was a beautiful sight to see! Also, I believe the screenshot button is F12. Mine is, at least, and I don't think I changed it. I take one every time I change to the #12 seat on the Gal!

Comment

Thanks for the write up. I wish I had more opportunity to employ smart tanking.

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

phaelah,

You like to run armor? I did notice that your tank stayed alive for a long time last night, as you were tagging along on the ground below the air op. lol

I think tanking can be a lot of fun, and is the correct tactic, in the right sort of terrain (open and flat with little cover). I remember big combined arms battles in the deserts in Project Reality. It always reminded me of Rommel in North Africa in WII. In PS2, it seems that the ice plains of Esamir are actually more suited to employing armor than the deserts of Indar. I am still learning the maps, but from what I can recall there seem to be more sheer cliffs and mountaintop perches on Indar than there are on Esamir. Or at least there have been in the parts I have been operating lately.

Oh, and for those who don't know, eD_ru$h = phaelah in PS2. :)
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Nice work -- nice AAR.
          sigpic

Comment

I would also like to add to this AAR that Phaelah was eventually awarded the Distinguished Armor (Class I) ribbon for his employment of armor as recorded in this AAR.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X