• [AAR] 5/7/2013 - Serjikal PL - The Battle of Sungrey Amp Station"

Squad Leaders:
    Sparhawkxx
    Phaelah
    Vitamin
    Assault9
    MrJengles

-------------------- INTRO -------------------

I took over Platoon Lead shortly after we had recaptured and were fighting around Tumas Tech Plant on Amerish. By this point, the platoon was split, some staying at the Tech Plant, and some recalling back to NC Warpgate (per previous PL's orders). I elected to do a two front push since we were split, as the Vanu/Terran Republic cut our line of control straight through Mekala/East Hills/Silver Valley Arsenal. This proved to be the "storming" phase for the platoon as we worked out all the kinks of having the platoon spread across two fronts.

The Southern group, made a push out of Tumas Tech towards Highroads Station and Granite Valley in hopes of reconnecting soon. The Northern group, pushed out of NC Warpgate towards Crux Mining/Shadespire/Amerish ARX. Upon Capping Shadespire, the North group encountered heavy resistance and found diligently there for the long haul. The southern group, meanwhile, fought over Highroads/Granite Valley, capping the later, and attempting to resecure Highroads. However, enemy forces destroyed us, and thus the Southern Group reformed at NC Warp comprising mostly of Bravo and Delta squads.

With the new reinforcements, we rejoined the Northern Group at Shadespire. Charlie and Delta moved south now to recap Silver Valley, putting a buffer between NC owned Onatha Bio Lab and TR Territory. Alpha and Bravo moved northwest towards Amerish ARX to recap. Both groups again rejoined, at which point we pushed towards Crux Headquarters.

As a full platoon at Crux Headquarters, I elected to split Alpha squad to push north and Capture Auraxicom Network Hub. After the remaining three squads captured Crux, we pushed north to take the fight to the Vanu at Sungrey Amp Station.

-------------------- The Battle of Sungrey Amp Station -------------------

This is where the platoon fought for the majority of the night. Once inside Sungrey's Hex, I split the squads to capture the 3 Control points on the West, South, and East sides of the base. The Vanu presence was overwhelming and we ended up reforming to take the fight to the enemy focusing mostly on the western portion of the base. Multiple AMS Sunderers went up on the NW side, West Side, and SW Sides of the base, however the Vanu numbers were astronomical fighting a mixed group of AT, GOTR, and FATE squads.

It was a stalemate on the western side. While this was happening, in hopes of securing some more influence, Alpha after capturing Network Hub was already capturing NC Arsenal.

This is where I should have pulled Alpha back towards the platoon, as the fight on the SouthWest Gate was an absolute back and forth fight. However, I elected to leave Alpha at North Grove for the cap, and subsequent Influence gain.

-------------------- The Break -------------------

After the North Grove Post cap via Alpha, I recalled them back to the Southwest Gate of Sungrey. Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie squads were directed to hold and create a decoy with my intentions of keeping the Vanu focused on the Southwest Gate. While this was happening, I pulled Delta squad to flank around to the east side of the base to capture the NE Control point. We spawned a Sunderer, and then drove it inside the NE Gate.

This move I think was the catalyst we needed to break the Vanu at Sungrey. From there, Delta squad pushed in from the NE, taking out the shield generators. As this happened Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie subsequently pushed the Southwest and Northwest gates to infiltrate the base.

After this coordinated push, the Vanu regrouped within the base itself, and became yet again a formidable opponent holding up any form of advance. It initially became a back and forth battle fighting over the Horizontal/Vertical Shields. The strategic placement of 2x AMS Sunderers (1 NW, 1 NE), allowed for a consistent pressure of NC troops into the fight.

The Vanu for the majority of this "Phase 2" were contained within the "A" Point/Vehicle Bay itself, until they too made a coordinated push out towards the NW part of the base. As this occured, Alpha Squad was directed to flank from the rear. We counter-pushed the Vanu back inside, and then with some Blue/Random's involvement, made a direct frontal attack knocking out the 2 Vanu Sunderers Inside Vehicle bay, wrecking their inside spawn ability.

-------------------- Inside the Station -------------------

Once inside, squads were assigned objectives (SCU Shield, SCU itself, and A Point), and performed perfectly as if this was rehearsed. Once inside, and all objectives taken/resecured, the fight was pretty much decided. Squads were assigned protection details for various entrances, and we all awaited anxiously for the final push I was expecting to come through the tunnels.

It never came. The Vanu fell off after a couple skirmishes at the Vehicle Bay gates, and to create an anticlimactic end, never made a final, last ditch effort, MAX crash push.

This by far again, was the highlight of the night. The battle was a back and forth slaughter, incorporating all forms of combat from vehicle to air and to infantry. Each squad performed exactly as directed, enabling flexibility and mobility in an ever changing battle. As the battle was against higher numbers, and a stronger force, I thought on 3 occasions about giving up the fight.

Had it not been for the resiliency of the squad leaders in advising me into saying "lets make a push here, or reinforce this sector" we might not have been successful.

-------------------- Post Battle and Territorial Cleanup-------------------

Once we captured Sungrey and secured it, we pushed back Southeast towards Shadespire, Blackshard Tungsten, and Crux Headquarters, eventually ending back at Sungrey to clear out stragglers, and then on to recapture NC Arsenal. This concluded our Platoon consisting of 4 squads (mixed Infantry/Armor) and 1 Air squad (MrJengles and friends).

-------------------- Key Points of Note -------------------

-Briefing: This I think is what enabled success within the Platoon. While capturing a point, the platoon was briefed exactly on what was expected at the next fight. Squads knew their objectives beforehand, which gave the framework for the fight to come. Assets were given instructions on their role and accomplished everything I had asked from a PL standpoint.

-Flexibility: The amount of change that was encountered tonight caused for Chaos to ensue. As a PL I noticed I was more in the corner, staring at the map, then actually shooting my rifle at the enemy. Having Squad Leaders that took control of their people was vital in being able to move around problems using the old adage - adapt and overcome.

For about 3/4 of the night, I was in a squad, as the Platoon Leader. I'm not sure how I feel about this, having a PL + 4 SL's. More often than not, I noticed I was controlling Delta, taking away from Assault (apologies) instead of giving him the flexibility to accomplish a given task. For my personal leadership style (not wrong, not right) I prefer to be the PL and SL of a squad. Just seems to work out better that way.

-Coordination outside of Platoon: The majority of the night, we ran 4 full Infantry/Mixed squads + 1 Air Squad that was outside of the platoon. I think this was the lowest point of the night looking back on it, since I did not utilize the Air Squad to the fullest effect. There was minimal communication between the grunts on the ground, and the boys in the air, outside of "We're going here, please kill stuff".

To improve on this, I think its just a cognitive effort to remember I have those assets available.. a sticky note, a question asking yoruself "What do I need Air to do now" or something to jog your memory that there is a squad outside of your immediate platoon UI that can create destruction.

Likewise, there was an instant at Sungrey, where I called for Air Support, only to find out that the AA Turrets on the Wall were inhibiting them from helping us on the ground. It hadn't even occured to me as a ground commander, that the Turrets on the walls might have been giving our Air a problem. Again, 20/20 hindsight, this comes down to a communication void between the commander on the ground, and the pilots in the sky. Finding some way to merge this gap would have proven us to great effectiveness. This is not blame towards either party, just an awareness to the need for a better connection between the two groups.

Overall, this by far was one of the most frustrating and tiring, but more so rewarding experiences I've had in Planetside 2 and with TacticalGamer as a whole. While we did not make much of an impact territorial wise in the grand scheme of things, we did create, exploit, and capitalize on battles at every opportunity.

-------------------- END AAR -------------------

Final words of thanks again to all Squadleaders - Spar, Phaelah, Vitamin, Assault, and Jengles.

With that, all members please post critiques and thoughts so that more than anything I can see what I did wrong or right, and we as a community can grow and progress forward.

Let the spear chucking begin

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Re: 5/7/2013 - Serjikal PL - The Battle of Sungrey Amp Station"

Great leadership and thanks for taking over. Bravo squad stuck together the whole night. I had no problems with rouge lone wolves at all. We held the vertical generator at the amp station for about 15 minutes. When the horizontal generator was almost secure I grabbed C4 and a harasser with shield defuser to storm the sunderer in the vehicle bay. By the time I got there the shield was down but I was able to detonate C4 on the sunderer. I wasn't successful in destroying it, but it went down about 30 seconds later. Just mentioning this because it is at our disposal now. Thanks again for Platoon leading.

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

The Shield Defuser ability on a Harasser is one of those options I wish I would have remembered. If we could have had some of those rush through with LAs/HAs/AV MAX's I'm sure those Sundy's would have dropped fast. Definitely something we should try in the future.

Comment

Thanks for stepping up and PLing Serj, it sounds like you did a pretty good job, I'm sorry I missed it!

Originally posted by Serjikal View Post
        -Coordination outside of Platoon: The majority of the night, we ran 4 full Infantry/Mixed squads + 1 Air Squad that was outside of the platoon. I think this was the lowest point of the night looking back on it, since I did not utilize the Air Squad to the fullest effect. There was minimal communication between the grunts on the ground, and the boys in the air, outside of "We're going here, please kill stuff".

To improve on this, I think its just a cognitive effort to remember I have those assets available.. a sticky note, a question asking yoruself "What do I need Air to do now" or something to jog your memory that there is a squad outside of your immediate platoon UI that can create destruction.

Likewise, there was an instant at Sungrey, where I called for Air Support, only to find out that the AA Turrets on the Wall were inhibiting them from helping us on the ground. It hadn't even occured to me as a ground commander, that the Turrets on the walls might have been giving our Air a problem. Again, 20/20 hindsight, this comes down to a communication void between the commander on the ground, and the pilots in the sky. Finding some way to merge this gap would have proven us to great effectiveness. This is not blame towards either party, just an awareness to the need for a better connection between the two groups.
        I have done a fair amount of multi platoon (even multi Outfit) coordination at this point, so if I may please allow me to share what I have learned with regards to that. I think it is best to keep the CAS (air) squad in 1st platoon. The pilots like to be Charlie squad because the purple is highly visible on the minimap, and they can see each other better. By having them in 1st platoon, they can automatically see where all those other green, brown, and white/black dots are on the map and support them, without any additional comms. I like to also put the armor squad (if there is one) in 1st platoon for the same reason. Then you have 2 squads of infantry, and any additional infantry squads can be put into 2d platoon. Some times this takes a while to organize, but I think the time spent doing so is worth it. Then the 2d platoon infantry just needs to follow along the blueberries with [TG] tags, if you move objectives just be sure to coordinate with them via TS company command channel. Unfortunately the 2d platoon can get forgotten about, I still even do this some times but you have to make an effort as you say to keep in touch with them and keep them in the same fight you are in, or in an adjacent territory helping out.

In a recent AAR I did some extra TeamSpeak configuration in order to more effectively coordinate with NCC, but I think just having the TS overlay on your screen would remind you that 2d platoon was there, also you can see who is talking in TS because their name lights up.

As far as knowing how to employ CAS from the perspective of a primarily infantry / non-pilot background, I wrote my Close Air Support (CAS) Guide for INFANTRY Squad and Platoon Leaders a while back, and I recommend those interested in the topic to read it as it covers some of the limitations of air power (AA turrets, as you found) as well as proper ways to employ it.

Originally posted by Serjikal View Post
        Overall, this by far was one of the most frustrating and tiring, but more so rewarding experiences I've had in Planetside 2 and with TacticalGamer as a whole.
        Welcome to platoon/company leading my friend. :) I am always happy to see people step up and SL, but PLing is a whole another animal. As with anything else, it will become more second nature with time and practice doing it. But it sounds like you did just fine man, just fine. :) And you are absolutely right, it can be very rewarding in a different way than just pew pewing people in the face!
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yeah those hills at Auxicom Destroyed my night. Alpha shoulda been out of there and up North then around Sungrey but we couldn't get the sunderer out of the base and also killed everyone in squad :/ So I appoligize that Alpha didn't get to Sungrey in time to help stop that cap. Our squad was whinning down I think. Alpha did an excellent job of taking my orders and doing every thing I asked them to. All and all I think everything we came up against we conquered :)

I did notice something that I liked a lot. TS for PL and SL's to use. I really like keeping the SM's out of that loop.I think letting your SL's relay what you want should be good enough. I noticed and I know its by prefferance that you wanted to use TS to tell the SL's but hearing the orders again ingame to me is too much for the SL's do have to deal with. makes for a lot of chatter.

FUN FUN

Comment

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
            Welcome to platoon/company leading my friend. :) I am always happy to see people step up and SL, but PLing is a whole another animal. As with anything else, it will become more second nature with time and practice doing it. But it sounds like you did just fine man, just fine. :) And you are absolutely right, it can be very rewarding in a different way than just pew pewing people in the face!
            Oh its not the first time SL/PLing - its just been a while. Al, Harly, John, and I used to do it all the time during/post-Beta before we got a massive influx of people that weren't afraid of taking up the SL/PL role. You just get burnt out doing it constantly when noone else steps up, which is why I took that extended hiatus/plus training outside. Some of the Old AARs are buried deep in the forum somewhere, back when we were first discovering the "uniqueness" of the game.

This was one of the newest experiences where I was leading a full platoon + more, and its keeping that memory game going of "whats available at my disposal, what am I not seeing/utilizing". Will definitely look into your recommendations and apply them further.

Originally posted by sparhawkxx
            I did notice something that I liked a lot. TS for PL and SL's to use. I really like keeping the SM's out of that loop.I think letting your SL's relay what you want should be good enough. I noticed and I know its by prefferance that you wanted to use TS to tell the SL's but hearing the orders again ingame to me is too much for the SL's do have to deal with. makes for a lot of chatter.
            I did really like how this worked. Problem is making sure said SL's are in TS, which if they're not defeats the purpose. I brief the platoon on the "next plan" just so everyone can have their minds on the basic understanding of "this is what my squad/I am doing next". By briefing the big picture to the platoon on whats to come, its my desire that the SL now has the flexibility and framework on how they choose to employ their squad to accomplish the given objective. As a PL I don't want to micromanage each squad in a battle outside of positioning squads for big flanking maneuvers/pushes, and possibly Spawn deployment. I want you as the SL when given the order "Attack Point A/Horizontal Shield" to then make the tactical decision with your squad; ex: possibly splitting the squad, and attacking from two sides, or having assaulting/supporting fireteams etc. I don't want to make that decision for you, unless the situation absolutely requires it.

I understand where you're coming from Spar and I can see how that would be more chatter, so I'll try and work on it. My intent with TS was more for feedback/suggestions/cross-checking with SL's outside of Platoon chat where the Squad members don't need to hear our internal discussions.

Comment

I only say it because we seemed to use TS more then I was used to and I liked it :) Not trying to keep Platoon in dark but less chatter seemed nice and if your SL's know whats going on it won't be a problem passing on the order with a SL's twist :)

FUN FUN

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X