E-Male -- Performance Review Request

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Male -- Performance Review Request

Of late my performance as a squad and platoon leader has been called into question.

Please add your voices and let me know how I am doing.
    sigpic

Re: E-Male -- Performance Review Request

You are doing fine E-Male. Only thing I've noticed that could use improvement is the speed of the orders coming down at rare moments. Other then those rare moments when you are forming strategy I've seen nothing wrong with your performance as PL & SL has been fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Biytor View Post
      You are doing fine E-Male. Only thing I've noticed that could use improvement is the speed of the orders coming down at rare moments. Other then those rare moments when you are forming strategy I've seen nothing wrong with your performance as PL & SL has been fantastic.
      Yes, I agree. There are times when I should have the next move anticipated for speedier transmission of orders. Point well taken!
      sigpic

Comment

Your performance as PL is just fine Emale. Everyone has their own style and some won't like it. To bad!! If they don't like it "Step up and lead then!!"
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
          Your performance as PL is just fine Emale. Everyone has their own style and some won't like it. To bad!! If they don't like it "Step up and lead then!!"
          +1
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

E-Male, you spend a lot of time in the command chair, you take it seriously, you make sound tactical decisions, you listen to your soldiers, and you frequently check in to make sure your teammates are having fun. Whatever complaints anyone may have about your "style" or your K/D or W/L ratio, your actual job performance as PL is exemplary.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

Since i Have started playing PS2, I have never seen a more calm or cool PL given that the job can be stressful and on many occasions, thankless work. Your openness to random strategies let alone how you implement your own is respectful. Happy to work with you anytime bud

Comment

Agree with everyone here, you're a fantastic platoon lead, and I've got no major grievances. Since you asked for criticism, my only concern is that the platoon net could stand to be a little cleaner. When there's a lot going on, it feels like the platoon comms are a bit overwhelming and interfere with squad comms.

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                  Agree with everyone here, you're a fantastic platoon lead, and I've got no major grievances. Since you asked for criticism, my only concern is that the platoon net could stand to be a little cleaner. When there's a lot going on, it feels like the platoon comms are a bit overwhelming and interfere with squad comms.
                  A good point and welcome reminder.

Always a challenge to give the squad leaders the space they need to manage their troops. I'll continue to work on more concise directives!
                  sigpic

Comment

I personally love your style and your platoon leading. Squad Leading under you is a privilege.

Strategic decisions can be played back and forth and around in circles but ultimately the PL is
                    not questionable.

Comment

I have a suggestion for something you could try emale.

Many times I've gone back to your sundy when fighting in your platoons, to reload a vehicle, or to spawn and stay in the fight when we have been wiped in an attack.

When you are in the sundy you have some idea of what the squads are doing. They are operating in a very independent way, with squadleaders take most of the decisions on the ground.

Sometimes a specific situation develops, e.g. when all three squads are attacking some base, and suddenly a few enemies go down, where there is an opportunity to have one squad do something very specific, like fall back to a hill or attack under cover of an other squad.

In your sundy, from the map it is impossible to understand the kind of situation that I am talking about. It is too much of a micro tactic as you would say in a RTS game. At the same time your squadleaders can not really do this. They have to go trough a comms procedure to directly talk to another squad. And they cannot just shout the order. The kind of decision I'm talking about has a window of seconds, sometimes. The enemy may be weak bc many maxes are down. The enemy may have too light a defense suddenly on a vital shield generator.

Some battles allow for instant decisions with fast execution to greatly change or speed up the outcome.

That to me is an inherent weakness of your approach to platoonleading emale.

I see two ways to remedy this, whilst respecting your style of leading, which has many advantages.

1) Get more sitreps from squadleaders to have a more detailed knowledge of the battle.

2) Have a dedicated intelligence officer in your command-squad. He can be positioned anywhere he can oversee the battle well. If in between you and the platoon, he can even spot to protect you.

This intelligence officer should be a trustworthy reliable player who's judgement you trust. You will be relying on him to interpret what is gong on in a battle on a micro level. He can give suggestions, or even make decisions to achieve a complementary coordination between the squads.

The intel officer can have his full attention on micro level, and you can have your full attention on the macro level.

This second option is my favorite as it is easier on the comms.

Comment

Great analysis BigGaayAl!

Yes, I have been grappling with this issue and have made one change and will also take up your second suggestion.

Of late I have been parking the Sunderer up to 700 m or more off the target. Once my squads are in a forward position I leave the Sunderer and move up to acquire a direct visual overview of the battlefield and my troops. This, as you know, provides intel that the map simply cannot provide.

To this new forward position and direct overwatch I am working on the habit of appointing a platoon XO. Ideally I would prefer an XO that is NOT also a squad leader, so his or her attention is not divided. I think we have accumulated enough capable SLs to beginning appointing such specialized jobs.

I'll work on a video capturing the PL-XO relationship you recommend here and will try to make it a regular (as possible) feature of my methodology.

As we discussed some time ago, Command would greatly benefit from a formal team of advisors (even if it is only a team of two).

I envision the PL-XO relationship working in the following manner.

PL takes care of organizing the troops and getting them into a forward position.

XO's main role kicks into gear in when the platoon is fully engaged with the enemy and provides 'forward intel' on battlefield developments, advising on immediate threats, opportunities, and actions.

This would effectively free the PL to devote more attention to the periphery (and surrounding quadrants) while the immediate objective is overseen by the XO.

The XO will need to understand that his main role is not micromanagement on behalf of the PL, but more as an early warning system for the PL ("Command we need to shift Alpha to the southern tower immediately.")

The XO duties would shift between advisory and direct command as per the PL's instructions at the time, thus avoiding any conflict and confusion in contradictory orders.
                        sigpic

Comment

E-male

Your squad, and platoon leading skills are very good, i am not often without direction or sense of what to do. your play style as both SL and PL are what attracted me to TG in the first place, your understanding of the harsh situation new players face is much appreciated, especially when I am squad leading under your PL. keep up the great work

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X