Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9/4/13 RAGE's Amp Station Fast Break Tactic - Drill followed by Practice in Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] 9/4/13 RAGE's Amp Station Fast Break Tactic - Drill followed by Practice in Game

This AAR will discuss the application of a tactic devised by RAGE in this thread: Amp Station - Fast Break Technique.

Alright, so we gave this a trial run this evening and I have to say it worked really well. More practice/drilling will be needed, which will no doubt result in further refinements, but as a concept I believe it has been proved as viable.

I started scraping a squad together this afternoon (actually probably about 5 PM yesterday, but as far as I am concerned, it's still "today" until you go to sleep, lol). We just did a little bit of small squad work until we reached a full squad, the size I felt was optimal to give this a try (per the strategy as laid out by RAGE). Present were RAGE, Hannabelle, BoozeCruise, Assault9, Finestyle, MacKahan, Zepkron, LadyLucia, Starstriker and myself. Others came and went also during the exercise (sorry if I forgot to jot down your name, if I did please chime in below!). We even had a couple blueberries along for the ride (2 of which actually ended up deciding to join the Outfit, lol).

When we reached a full squad, we redeployed to an Amp Station well behind our lines and safe. We started out with RAGE laying out the unit placement just as outlined in this thread. Then other people made suggestions and we continued to hash out variations and placements of turrets, vehicles, weapons, kits, etc. for about 2 hours before finally settling on what we came up with. So just know before you nit pick the strategy to death, that some very good players in TG have put considerable thought into it already. But improvements can always be made, so "come at us bros!" lol

After that, we went and did a dry run, just for drilling/practice purposes and were in the middle of discussing some things afterward when someone realized that the ideal situation for this tactic was coming up on Esamir. A big fight had been going on at The Octagon and now our forces were winning, and starting to push into Bridge Ward. The NC seemed to have a slight advantage in pop against the TR and we thought they would probably push through Eli Tower and then on to the Amp Station proper after that. So we double checked our kit selection and roles, BoozeCruise added a few more upgrades to his Sundy and pulled a new one, and we all loaded up and headed off to try out our newly hatched scheme against some real live enemies.

We thought we had gotten too late of a start, but in the end the timing worked out perfectly. We had to come all the way from Nott Amp Station, several territories away, so by the time we got there the battle was already raging at Eli Tower. We knew this and so cut south of the Bulwark on our way in and entered Eli Amp Station via the southern gate, avoiding the platoon vs. platoon battle on the north side of the base. We went right in without incident and set up shop in the main bay per our plan.

Our first several customers were probably just there to pull armor and go to the fight at the northern satellite base. But that is one of the beauties of this tactic, immediately you are denying the enemy the use of vehicle terminals to pull tanks and slow down the advancing friendlies. After a few enemies ran in and got killed, a small group gathered at the outside of the shield wall and paused as if they were unsure what to do. You could almost see the consternation on their virtual faces. lol About this time, a blueberry Reaver happened along and took out 2-4 enemy infantry congregating on one side, outside of the shield wall. Starstriker, thinking quickly, types in /re for him to go to the other side and strafe. He must have read it, because he lifted off, went to the other side of the Amp Station main building and dispatched the other several infantry that were hanging around over on that side. Inside, we were all laughing our rear ends off, it was great. lol

Very soon after this, friendlies completed the cap of Eli Tower, and since we were on the point already, immediately began the cap of the Amp Station proper. Now, with the battle over at the Tower, things would get interesting as all of the enemy would begin flooding into the Amp Station main and try to dislodge us. And that is exactly what they did. They came in waves and waves and we mowed them down. Eventually they took out one, and then the other Sundy. At one point I respawned at Eli Tower and pulled a second Sundy and made it back in, only to get eventually blown up again. But the entire time, the infantry up on the catwalk managed to survive. I was told that they were very nearly wiped out a couple different times, but due to our Medics being Johnny on the spot with revives, especially Assault9, they managed to persist long enough for the blueberries to get the shields down and come in and help us finish the cap. Many people remarked that it was the fastest they had ever seen an Amp Station capped. Hannabelle (or maybe it was Finestyle) remarked that it was the easiest 1000 certs he had ever earned. lol A smashing success, and a great time was had by all. Like Hannibal from A-Team says, "I love it when a plan comes together!" All of the forum theorycrafting, strategy session, and one or 2 drills we did all paid off in the end and it was well worth the time spent and a lot of fun.

After doing another dry run / drill in another empty VS base, we decided to go to the VR and do some testing on what would be optimal setups for the Sundies (Blockade Armor, Repair, or Ammo, etc.). We also further discussed tactics and other things. Altogether, it was probably a 7 or so hour gaming session for those of us who were there all the way from start to finish (of which we were only in real combat for an hour or two of that maybe). Nonetheless, everyone really seemed to enjoy it, working on a strategy and training together. As I have learned from BigGaayAl, things like this make for a really nice change of pace at times. As previously mentioned, we picked up a couple new recruits as well, so there is a thirst out there for organization and tactics.

So, how did we do it exactly? Updated load outs, equipment, roles, and positioning to be laid out back in the original strategy discussion thread: Amp Station - Fast Break Technique. It's getting really late now and I should sleep, so I will probably write that portion up another day.

Thanks for reading, I hope you guys enjoyed it. :)
    Last edited by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL; 09-05-2013, 03:57 AM.
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Re: 9/4/13 RAGE's Amp Station Fast Break Tactic - Drill followed by Practice in Game

A night that involved as little fighting as it did had absolutely no right to be that fun! :)

Comment

Re: 9/4/13 RAGE's Amp Station Fast Break Tactic - Drill followed by Practice in Game

Awesome job guys.

What was your conclusions from the weapon testing in the VR room? If I remember correctly Blockade Armor only protects against projectiles and not C4 (maybe not even AV Grenades).

What was the capture time?

What was the final set-up for the infantry loadout/Sunderer position/weapons?

Comment

I believe I read somewhere that is correct wrt C4 and Blockade Armor (i.e., it only protects against projectiles). But Mine Guard doesn't protect against it either, so...?

Capture time was whatever the minimum was. As soon as the flag became available, we were already there and flipped it, and held it the whole time until it capped.

Set up can be found in the linked thread above, I wrote it up this afternoon.
        Last edited by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL; 09-06-2013, 08:43 AM. Reason: Mine Guard doesn't protect against C4 either
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The capture time is 7 minutes for an Amp Station

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X