Air Assault with ATightly Disciplined Squad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Assault with ATightly Disciplined Squad

Summary: As part of a TG platoon operation I commanded Alpha squad (airborne infantry) Friday 10/25/13 during the hours of roughly 10pm to 2am EST. The squad performed exceptionally well, demonstrating tight discipline and maintaining very close unit cohesion.

Platoon lead was Starstriker. I like his disciplined and serious style, and enjoyed working with him.

When I first took over squad lead we were holding the north western edge of a base, while bravo team held the north eastern. The fighting was heavy, and the blue berries helped a lot. The guys in my squad generally stayed tightly grouped defending the building I told them to hold.

A bit later we were advancing over open ground, and we came upon enemies just below a small ridge running roughly NE/SW. NC blueberries would walk up to the ridge, try to shoot downward into the massed enemy force (I think it was VS) and be cut down. I requested permission to flank around north and did so. While I do not know if our flank was determinative, the squad executed orders well and stayed pretty well grouped as we executed it. Eventually we pushed them back.

After that I recall a series of medium fire fights when we transisioned to air borne infantry. Generally everyone was paying attention and responding to orders quickly. I recall one fire fire where we had just landed on the point, it was indoors. Just as we got indoors to the flag room and setting up our defense it happened. As we were getting setup in place. I think I told everyone to pick an entrance to cover, get a good position to cover it, and sit still. A squad member (I forget who) noted that the heavy infantry man should be watching the stairs, the most likely enemy approach). I agreed and the heavy moved to cover that entrance. As he moved into position the enemy came up the stairs in force. Because our group was all together when we landed, and moved inside that room together, had setup good defensive positions, AND a squad member had made a good suggestion, which another squad member acted on, we were able to take out an equally strong enemy force which surprised us. The medic survived and revived the casualties, and we setup a proper defense. We held that point, and as it captured we were already on our way to the galaxy which was coming in for a landing. It was a textbook Air Assault operation done right.

There were many other drops like that one, some were hard fought, some were not, but the team followed orders precisely and conducted themselves very well. As I told them at the time, they really restored my faith in Planetside 2 teamwork.

The focus was on the team, and working as a unit. Everyone usually made pickup on time and anyone who missed the pickup would voluntarily redeploy and deploy on squad lead at the next point. When a call for ammo went out, a reponse of "ammo down at _____" was very soon to follow. People stayed on their assigned class and fulfilled their roles. The infiltrator kept sensor darts up. The engineer kept ammo down and turrets deployed smartly. The heavy assault was on the front where he needed to be. The medic was quick on the pickup but not crazy. The pilot- DaelonSuzuka was always on time and did the sometimes boring job of galaxy pilot without complaint. It was a team.

Thank you to my Alpha squad guys, you made my night. HellRaser, MacKahan, AUDude456, DaelonSuzka and [WMD]Zigzagy. There were others as well, those are just the names I remember.

Also thank you to the platoon leader (starstriker) and our air support guys (RandyShughart among others). Bravo squad, I am sure you guys did well, I was just to focused on Alpha squad to notice much.

Last night it was good to be TG. :row1_7:
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Re: Air Assault with ATightly Disciplined Squad

Great AAR. Glad to see things working well. I think this really shows the benefits of a tight time frame and the necessity of people left behind to quickly regroup with SL-Quick Deploy.

Awesome job. How did you guys organize your Galaxy pilot/gunners?

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
      Great AAR. Glad to see things working well. I think this really shows the benefits of a tight time frame and the necessity of people left behind to quickly regroup with SL-Quick Deploy.

Awesome job. How did you guys organize your Galaxy pilot/gunners?
      Often times, I keep the transport Gals in a squad (usually Charlie) with the Reavers. But sometimes we just let each infantry squad pull their own Gal. In this op, we did a bit of a combination, as Alpha had their own Gal and I provided the transport for Bravo usually (and a couple of times, even Alpha IIRC). There are pros and cons to both approaches.

I always keep 1-3 gunners with me in my Gal, because my Gal is heavily certed as a battle platform. And those guys are in the air squad with us, sometimes dedicated gunners and sometimes Reaver pilots just waiting on timer or resources. If I had to guess, I would say that Daelon might have been flying solo or maybe with one gunner and hiding to stay alive, instead of providing direct fire support? As usually that's what most dedicated Gal pilots do, while waiting safely out of the combat zone to be called upon for transport (as Garthra said, sometimes a boring/thankless job). Plus Garthra usually prefers to have more "boots on the ground." But I was not in Alpha, so that is pure speculation on my part, perhaps Garthra can answer that question.

BTW, I love having Garthra as an airborne infantry squad leader, he always has his guys together, does great at calling LZs, etc. and therefore everything always goes like clockwork. Too bad we were doing this on late night ops into the wee hours, and therefore I was probably driving him nuts with my drinking and resultant playing of music in proximity. lol

Admittedly, airborne infantry is not always the most effective option in every (especially massive) battle. Although coordinated dropping of squads accurately on top of certain targets (point buildings, shield Gens at an Amp Station for example) can certainly be effective. But whenever we go with this method, everyone always has a lot of fun (we even garnered 2-3 new recruits last night out of this op). I think this is due to the coordinated nature of all the elements involved.
      "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Garthra View Post
        The pilot- DaelonSuzuka was always on time and did the sometimes boring job of galaxy pilot without complaint. It was a team.

Thank you to my Alpha squad guys, you made my night. HellRaser, MacKahan, AUDude456, DaelonSuzka and [WMD]Zigzagy. There were others as well, those are just the names I remember.

Also thank you to the platoon leader (starstriker) and our air support guys (RandyShughart among others). Bravo squad, I am sure you guys did well, I was just to focused on Alpha squad to notice much.

Last night it was good to be TG. :row1_7:
        Thanks for noticing, Garthra. I actually worked really hard flying the bus for that OP because the last time I pulled a Galaxy for a TG squad I flipped it almost immediately. Thankfully that was several months ago and I've been flying Libs pretty heavily in the meantime.

I've actually wanted to be a Gal pilot since back in PS2 Beta(when Gals had AMS!) but I never managed to get into it. I look forward to being a part of more airborne infantry squads in the future!

Originally posted by Randy_Shughart_ClwFL View Post
        I always keep 1-3 gunners with me in my Gal, because my Gal is heavily certed as a battle platform. And those guys are in the air squad with us, sometimes dedicated gunners and sometimes Reaver pilots just waiting on timer or resources. If I had to guess, I would say that Daelon might have been flying solo or maybe with one gunner and hiding to stay alive, instead of providing direct fire support? As usually that's what most dedicated Gal pilots do, while waiting safely out of the combat zone to be called upon for transport (as Garthra said, sometimes a boring/thankless job). Plus Garthra usually prefers to have more "boots on the ground." But I was not in Alpha, so that is pure speculation on my part, perhaps Garthra can answer that question.
        You're right Randy, I was flying solo the whole time. Alpha didn't have the headcount to spare 2 gunners so I was dropping the squad and then retreating. I tried to stay within a few seconds of Charlie squad in case I ran into trouble. Ever since I noticed how fun and effective your Spruce Goose is, though, I've been slowly funneling some spare certs into my Gal. I have all the guns, a couple mag sizes on the bulldogs, color tv on the #4, a couple levels in fire suppression and auto-repair, and I'm working my way up the Precision Drops Airframe. I think I would enjoy doing CAS if I got some practice.

A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum. -Jon McBride, astronaut

Comment

Happy to hear you liked my platoon leading style! Was there anything in particular I was doing right (and should endeavour to KEEP doing) or anything that could use improvement? I'm always looking for feedback to be a better leader. :)

Comment

Heh. I also enjoy flying a gal around and busing a squad around, though I never seem to get an opportunity to do so between squad leading and Randy hogging transport duties! There's something compelling about being the guy who gets people where they need to go, I always enjoyed flying transport choppers in Project Reality despite the massive amount of downtime.

Comment

I enjoyed Transport duties so much in PR. It is incredibly disappointing that there is no smaller, faster, small transport vehicle in this game. I enjoy the Galaxy but there is something really interesting about the smaller open door craft that is more Air Calvary than Airborne.

For those who are pilots of the Galaxy could you give your opinions on the certification pathway expected of would be pilots?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X