Toddshooter Sat. April 19/2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] Toddshooter Sat. April 19/2014

Please give me suggestions on my PL job last night. It has been awhile since I was in the drivers seat and would like feedback on my performance.

A couple of things I noted and would like us to work on are:

- deploying faster after orders are given. (This improved greatly as the night wore on and we got rid of the fluff.)

- Squad cohesion looked to be not up to our usual standards. (ie: squads on the minimap looked spread out.)

Was this a product of me moving us around too quickly? Moving squad markers too frequently? It is very easy for me to make the move on the map and quite another to actually move on foot/vehicle.

As for NCFU coordination. I guess they were yelling at me in Leader chat but I have it muted most of the time. I find some of them tedious to say the least. I know they wanted us to pull back and wait which I decided to do at the beginning of the alert. I think my plan was just as valid to push hard up the western lane and then defend. I know this technique worked for the NCFU on the last alerts we did on Fri. and last night. Now lets see how long it takes the enemy to figure it out.:row1_21:
    Both were valid strategies but I decided for diplomacy in this case.

I actually had fun PLing last night so I would like to thank you all for an exceptional Platoon experience!!

Todd
    sigpic

Re: Toddshooter Sat. April 19/2014

Wish I was there but alas I was busy yesterday and not present for your command. I didn't even get a chance to hop on PS2 at all yesterday.

Comment

I think playing with pubs is dangerous.

I feel you need to keep a certain ratio of in house people or else things are too slow. Also being aware or what your squad leads can do, and do with pubs in the squad.

I am not saying any of this as a neg to your performance, I just noticed you allow a lot of randoms in and voicing my opinions on the topic.

Though as I pmed you at the time I really enjoyed the platoon.
      SPEAK UP! and lets combat the fog of war together.

Comment

I was there, but later on I think. So I have no feedback regarding your platoon leading.

I just wanted to add, re: COMMAND channel, that there are a few known trolls in there. The NCFU actually has a Recommended Mute List which currently includes Stew360 and Wisdomcube. There are a few others, but you will find out pretty quick who they are. And it changes over time. AdmiralSnuggles has actually gotten a lot better for example. But by and large, the majority of the people are in there to coordinate and work together. You will find out who is who the more time you spend in there.

As this is a game in many ways about coordination on the larger scale, I would urge everyone to just mute the troublemakers, instead of keeping the entire channel muted. When our TG forces (or any forces for that matter) are not in COMMAND comms, they are not coordinating and those squads / platoons are not contributing to the faction on the strategic level, especially during alerts. And I cannot tell you how many times just having one or two more squads in COMMAND comms has made the difference between winning and losing an alert.

For those interested in the higher level strategic picture, I highly recommend participating in COMMAND comms, even if you are just listening. And also checking out / joining the New Conglomerate Freedom Union (NCFU) which is the current NC Alliance on Mattherson. Lots of good discussion over there (and in COMMAND channel) about why we attack certain bases when we do and why. You could learn a lot if you are interested in that sort of thing (and I presume many are, as otherwise you would be playing BF2 or something, amirite? :)).

But mostly it's about getting to know who is who within the leadership of NC on Mattherson which pays dividends when you are working together in COMMAND channel. Because now you are someone they know (at least a little) requesting assistance, instead of some random stranger on the internet. I have long felt it's a shame TG isn't better represented over there.

TL,DR;

Don't let a few trolls in a free to play game on the internet ruin your enjoyment of said game, nor hamper our faction's strategic level coordination.
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thanks Randy.

As an aside to this, make sure if you are running a TG Platoon or Squad you don't leave a fun tactical fight to do some task for the coalition just because they ask.

Our TG members enjoyment is to be first and foremost in all our minds. So if you are having a blast defending a small base, or humping between bases on foot and the coalition wants you to move somewhere else. Be aware that you don't have to listen to them.

Todd
          sigpic

Comment

That is a good point Todd. There is a definite balance there. Some times you don't feel like participating in an alert, etc. But at least if you have an ear in COMMAND, you can hear what is being discussed and it is up to whoever is running our platoon at the time to decide whether they want to reposition our troops or not.

Ex.: Maybe you are only running only one or two squads. No alert is going on. Our only Tech Plant is being threatened by a large TR force of platoon size. Clearly, if you go there with your 1-2 squads, it's going to be a bad time for you. But you hear in COMMAND that x outfit is sending 2 squads, and y outfit is sending a squad, and so now maybe your 1-2 squads is enough to tip the balance in the NC's favor. Is maintaining our faction's ability to pull tanks more important than whatever base you are at, or not? It is up to the individual in charge of the platoon to decide. It also depends on many other factors (the relative size of your force, are you running an armor squad across the map, etc., etc...).

The thing I am trying to caution against is NC apathy. Many months ago (before I became involved in COMMAND and NCC etc.) the NC were pretty awful, no one wanted to participate in alerts (myself included), we always lost got our teeth kicked in, and it sucked. Slowly but surely, we got more and more people on board with coordination, and started to win a lot of alerts. Even dominated there for a while. It was a lot of fun! It didn't suck any more to be NC! And I can tell you from first hand experience, being very involved in NCC and COMMAND, that the difference was how many people were participating in coordination, instead of just immediately deciding to throw in the towel or not participate in an alert right off the bat because "oh the overpop VS will win anyway." Sometimes, just one or two more squads deciding to participate in alert literally can make the difference...
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Toddshooter View Post
              Thanks Randy.

As an aside to this, make sure if you are running a TG Platoon or Squad you don't leave a fun tactical fight to do some task for the coalition just because they ask.

Our TG members enjoyment is to be first and foremost in all our minds. So if you are having a blast defending a small base, or humping between bases on foot and the coalition wants you to move somewhere else. Be aware that you don't have to listen to them.

Todd
              This, times a thousand.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...