(Friday May 9th, 2014) Mao Tech MAX Crash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] (Friday May 9th, 2014) Mao Tech MAX Crash

Hey guys, remember that MAX crash on Mao Tech? The one that failed catastrophically?

Here's what it looked like from the other side:

http://www.twitch.tv/ender31x/c/4225496 (via reddit)

That's what I lead you guys into.

I'm so sorry. O_o

Re: (Friday May 9th, 2014) Mao Tech MAX Crash

That seems virtually un-counterable using a head-on rush.

Backdoor balcony mayhap?

“Big Brother is Watching You.”
    ― George Orwell, "1984"

Comment

Taking down the generators and opening up more angles of attack did the trick. It was a long, hard slog to do it, but when we pushed through those doors later, the defenders were strung out, the Harassers were gone (apparently sacrificing themselves pretty heroically) and we took the base. The MAX crashes that attempted to knock us back off the point were pretty massive, but we were ready for them and (barely) held the line.

Comment

Good to hear you won in the end.

-The balcony option is good, but predictable.
        -If taking the generators had proven too difficult, don't forget about using a Sundy + GSD either in the sides or the front of the Tech plant. Obviously, generators first though, as it helps the rest of the team get in.

I would add here that everyone should feel as though they can voice problems carrying out an order. PLs and - to a lesser extent in this case - SLs cannot see everything that is happening, so proper communication in both directions is key. Also, just because fast respawns make dying so inconsequential, we shouldn't senselessly throw bodies at the enemy.

The first people through that door should recognize that the situation may be beyond SL/PL expectations, then inform their SLs that the enemy have Harassers set up, the platoon is making no progress and will likely wipe - without actually complaining and while still carrying out the order. This is a report and genuine expectation of success, which is not only fine but encouraged. SLs can then pass that on to the PL.

On the other hand, that happened so quickly it's difficult to handle.

Additionally, I believe that in exceptional circumstances of urgency and overwhelming chance of failure the SLs also have the option to weigh the situation themselves and countermand the order. You have a chance to act the moment you gain new information and in the gap between there, contacting a PL and receiving orders, SLs are in charge. Normally, that would have to be minutes to be of concern, but I would say it's always relative to the action. If you can lose in a matter of seconds then even quick communication may not be fast enough.

This is the sort of thing that takes a good deal of leadership experience and some trust between SL and PL. It's not 100% foolproof, but in those cases it's more productive to have an AAR over 2 different leadership perspectives and come to some conclusion on the best way to handle the situation in the future. In my experience if you are placed in this situation people will only focus on the orders, not on the decision to take charge.

Finally, no offense intended. As I said, it was a hard and sudden situation to deal with. Besides, I wasn't there, so I don't know how much of that may have happened. I just thought I'd take the opportunity to put this out there for newer members and any up and coming leaders.

|TG-Irr| MrJengles - You know you want to say it out loud.

Comment

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to use Harassers in unconventional locations.

It's not as OP as it looks, Harassers are incredibly vulnerable inside buildings. It's fun while it lasts though.
          Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

There were a lot of confounding factors on that crash. Visibility was limited, the entire scene was chaos, everything happened (and fell apart) so fast, blues were involved in the crash outside our command hierarchy, and our staging position was under threat from the flanks.

MAX crashes in general aren't something that can be really corralled or controlled easily. They're unwieldy to start with because of the MAX units themselves, and then they either succeed or fail spectacularly on contact with the enemy, with almost no time to react one way or another.

Comment

I got some footage during that fight. It's unedited so there is some empty footage at the end.

Before the first VS max crash I had a feeling they were going to crash so I tried to get more people on the balcony. With most of the blues sitting on the point it was mostly bravo watching the teleport. We were clearly overwhelmed and wiped. Even with our 300 style defense we were able to hold them back just enough for the blues to realize the fight wasn't over.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostshooter101 View Post

I got some footage during that fight. It's unedited so there is some empty footage at the end.

Before the first VS max crash I had a feeling they were going to crash so I tried to get more people on the balcony. With most of the blues sitting on the point it was mostly bravo watching the teleport. We were clearly overwhelmed and wiped. Even with our 300 style defense we were able to hold them back just enough for the blues to realize the fight wasn't over.
                was that a VS max at 0:20 that was just ignored ._. ?
                And my preferred set up for AI sundy is a bulldog on the front and a fury on the back. That way I get the sustained high DPS fire of the fury with the heavy splash of the bulldog.
                What normally happens is the fury does enough damage to everything that the bulldog basically one shots anything in it's splash radius. (with the new XP system fury gunner has a better score but less kills. Not that that matters though)

Gunner differentiation is normally important. Those who like to time their shots and not reload often should go for the bulldog. Those who are good at consistency and compensating for decreasing accuracy should go for the fury (the high mag plus relatively short reload allows gunner to not really need to worry about reloading too much).

Comment

Just a crazy fight.

Listening to my own voice on your video I seem to be coming in really loud. Is that just an artifact of the recording/volume settings on your machine, or am I yelling into the mic?

Comment

I might have you turned up higher then normal. Sometimes I would turn the PL up when SLing and forget to turn them down afterwards

Comment

Well, I WAS PLing at the time. ;)

Just happy to know that I haven't been screaming at everybody all this time. :P

Comment

Sorry I missed this!
                        The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
                          Well, I WAS PLing at the time. ;)

Just happy to know that I haven't been screaming at everybody all this time. :P
                          Yeah Star, pretty sure I (and a lot of other people) have you and a lot of other regular SL/PLs set at a higher volume level.

Our good SL/PLs know not to spam comms when they're not leading, so I rarely bother turning people back down if I turn them up.
                          Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X