Point Holds With Air Support 1/27/15

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] Point Holds With Air Support 1/27/15

Ran a squad with some newer TG members and some blueberries this evening.

Generally very positive stuff. Infantry stayed on task and followed orders well. Medics kept us up despite some hard contacts. We were successful in taking a base or two. Although all of this was fun, and the squad did well in a number of hard fights over several hours the thing that really made tonight special for me was the air force. Later on in the night, for the last hour or so, we had solid air support.

[MENTION=59167]VLAD[/MENTION] managed to get something running that many a platoon leader has dreamed of, but few have ever had, a squad able to do precise air strikes on command in support of the ground force. I am not saying it was perfect, or that there is not much room for improvement. What I am saying is that [MENTION=59167]VLAD[/MENTION] deserves a lot of credit for molding this type of squad. I know air squads can be even harder to get organized than infantry or armor squads. For a long time in discussions with other TG guys we have talked about organized air. But vlad and the squad members in Bravo did it tonight. I was able to call his squad in to take out targets that threatened us. I took video of two strikes, but he did several others as well.

The first is a strike on a narrow channel right outside the door we are holding. (Basically just East of the point room.) It bought us a few seconds of quiet compared to the very hot combat before or after the strike. The second strike on this video is on a prowler that was threatening to bombard or suppress our hold on a generator room. (We all know those moments where one tank with HE shells at the right angle can make holding a room very difficult.)

So I would like to say, thank you to all my TG guys, both in Alpha on the ground and Bravo in the air. I had a lot of fun tonight, and I hope you did too!

Garthra

The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Re: Point Holds With Air Support 1/27/15

This is awesome! Keep up! That tight formation was amazing. I think this could help us counter one of the main actual metagame : the last minute mass redeploy on base capture. Pre-set carpet-bombing key-routes for wings to cover simultaneously and prevent them from touching our infantry at full strenght, just like the first part of that video showed.

I think we have a win!

"Good job, soldiers!"--BF1942's voice over.

Comment

Locking them into their spawn with Liberators is a time-honoured way of beating off a redeployment surge. Definitely something we ought to do more often.

Comment

Cain did some interesting airstrike calls yesterday, using the leadership smokes to mark heavy infantry area's. Rocket pod sweeps were very effective this way.

Comment

I would like to see this come back, but we need some solid reaver pilots... any volunteers?
          The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

I prefer to do it with a Lib pointman but I'm always game

Comment

We were doing something similar to this Tuesday night after drills. Worked great allied with 1-12/12-24 point holds. Since the last minute is the most crucial and you're most likely going to get over popped its always good to have a friendly lib/reavers come in to give your squad breathing room. Props to GeneralCain and his squad for saving our bacon Tuesday. I agree and would love to see this comeback. I'm down for either role Garthra.

Comment

I remember those. Some overview of what your seeing in that video.

We were often in super hot zones for air, so we couldn't loiter much. To combat this I often sacrifice time on target with libs/galaxies for spikes of overwhelming fire power in precise alpha strikes with fast reavers that leave to pre-designated rally points just as fast as they came in.

Ideally I would rather have more time on target with galaxies and libs but due to the nature of a fight you only get to loiter for a few mins before there is always two burster maxes and lock ons to keep you away and causing alot of losses which is something I don't like to see but seems to be the norm in all air squads TG or otherwise.

I combat these issues with Reaver alpha strikes specifically to raise survival rate and still be able come in and affect the fight on the ground through an air space controlled by the enemy. The survival is in the pre designated entry and escape routes to minimize enemy line of sight and early warning of our approach and leaving before the fire begins to widdle down our assets. Its claim to fame is often being able to take out the Sundy that often provides the overwhelming pop that our infantry often cant get to.

Issues I often face in these squads is tunnel vision that individual pilots experience. Reavers that break off and dont rally with the group in a timely fashion. Air strikes could come in roughly every minute - to minute thirty (depending on distance of rally to target) but the force doesn't leave till every one is ready and due to tunnel vision this instead causes the strike time to increase to 5 min or more. In order to get more time on target I would split the squad in half with two elements doing two alternating strikes hopefully causing strikes twice as fast. But due to lack of squad training and discipline in the intended SOP, I've not been able to take that step. Unfortunately the issue is me. I don't have the energy, patience, and time to constantly train squads in what essentially is my own experimental SOPs as I don't believe the outfit has any formal air SOP's .

I remember both of those strikes in the video. I remember being the lead craft and not ever getting to see the aftermath of our coming. It was nice to see the ground view of a burning sunder husk landing at your door step.

But your video has inspired me. Perhaps ill dabble in it again in the near future.

Comment

Vlad, sounds like you're doing something similar to my Reaver hit and run squads from way back. I swear I wrote a guide/procedure for this at some point but I can't find the thread. Closest I've got are two AARs that describe it:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/threads...upport-platoon
                  http://www.tacticalgamer.com/threads...-8th-Air-Squad

It sounds like you ended up with a very similar procedure. I wonder what we can do to train our guys up to be able to do this faster and more consistently; briefing everyone before each strike on the infil and exfil routes each time might help. It might also work to do air strikes without waiting for everyone to catch up. The stragglers can either group with you en-route (they might be in a position to do so) or they can wait at the rally point for the next run.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X