Esamir Operations Saturday 10/3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esamir Operations Saturday 10/3

I decided to try my hand at platoon leading after the alert on Amerish finished off.

Admittedly, I was pretty nervous in leading an actual platoon with good discipline. Usually when I run squads, it's with SPMC and their casual rulesets. So running a TG platoon was a first to me.

But we were able to yield some results! We were able to cap about 5 bases, including an amp station. Things when very smooth (in my opinion).

Things admittedly went south when the alert started. By then, the TR had reached Jaeger's Crossing, and the VS were surging into Nott Amp Station (which we took earlier). I got burned out (and a small headache along with it) and Jan took over for me.

I was able to get a lot of great feedback from the platoon, but I would appreciate more feedback or tips on platoon leading.

Thanks all

Re: Esamir Operations Saturday 10/3

I think you did pretty well, considering this was your first time PL'ing for TG.

The only criticisms I have are:

1. Echoing a squad member's suggestion during your in-game AAR at the warpgate - Having confidence in yourself will instill confidence in your squad/platoon. What I mean to say is this - The squad/platoon follows your lead. If you are unsure of yourself and your strategy, the squad/platoon will be unsure and less effective. This will come in time and with more experience. Be sure to watch and take notes of our more seasoned PLs. They are a great font of knowledge.

2. If you choose to lead the platoon and a squad, don't leave the squad without leadership. There were some points in the operation that the squad you were leading had very limited direction. This caused the squad to be very spread out and combat ineffective.

I look forward to seeing you in the PL position again. Keep up the good work!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
      2. If you choose to lead the platoon and a squad, don't leave the squad without leadership. There were some points in the operation that the squad you were leading had very limited direction. This caused the squad to be very spread out and combat ineffective.
      My advice is just to never do this in the first place! Running a squad and running a platoon are both demanding jobs, and you aren't doing either very well if you're doing both! Same deal for taking demanding player roles while leading; you'll be distracted if you're also trying to be a good medic, pilot, MAX, etc.

Comment

Congrats on stepping up to PL! I'm sure you will find it to be a different (and challenging at first) but more rewarding experience. During non alert times is probably the best time to step up as a new PL. During alerts, everyone kicks it up a notch, it becomes very competitive, pressure is more, which is not conducive to learning. It might just make you feel bad if you don't succeed for whatever reason. Better to start off in non alert times IMO, and build up your experience and confidence in a positive way.

Hopefully I am in game next time you decide to step up and PL, I'm looking forward to it!
        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'll admit that I did take a lot of suggestions from the squad members because I felt my options were limited. I may do this in the future because if I am PL-ing, my attention to the entirety of the battlefield is probably very slim. I will probably be so occupied looking at one section of the map that I may not be able to pay attention to other fronts as much.

Comment

Yeah, I definitely understand the feeling of your options being limited. I feel like a lot of that comes from both being unaware of the scope of the options you have from the PL seat, and not thinking about your influence in terms of broader strategic scope and/or the long term.

The first is often just a matter of experience and experimentation; as a PL you've got 2-4 squads to control, and you might feel like all you have to influence them is a waypoint each, but you're able to do so much more with that than telling them to kill a Sunderer or capture a point. A squad can be positioned to overwatch another, create a crossfire in tandem with another squad, run anti-infantry, anti-vehicle, block an enemy force, harass and distract an enemy force, stand in reserve, or take point in an assault. These options are constrained, enabled and informed not by the presence of objectives on the map, but the enemy and friendly force placement and disposition as it relates to the flow of terrain and map features. PLing can feel like a blunt instrument at first, but there's so much room for subtlety there.

The second comes down to getting away from tunnel vision and instant gratification, which is a little disorienting when you're used to being an SM or SL (who both have much more immediate impacts on a much more constrained scope). As a PL, you're at your least flexible when you're reacting to the state of the fight rather than working ahead of it. Many of the interesting things you can do as a PL require a minute or more between issuing the order and seeing the results. You can't throw an anti vehicle position on that hill, no matter how helpful it is, if the enemy already controls it or the vehicles have already bypassed the areas it threatens. The AV squad, instead, needs to be there BEFORE they're needed or blocked from taking the position, and they'll always require time to do so. You therefore need to be anticipating the need for the AV squad, not reacting to the need. This, in turn, requires you think about the shape of the larger strategic picture as well as thinking several minutes ahead of where everything currently is. It's a lot more indirect, and it can be difficult to feel like you've got good feedback for your decisions; the consequences, good or ill, will be apparent several minutes down the line!

Hopefully that helps a bit!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X