Fort Kickass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [IMAGES] Fort Kickass

I forget if we ever came up with a decisive name for this bastion, but she sure turned out pretty.

Nestling the base in a mild defilade and snugging it up to the cliff gave it formidable defences against air and armor assault. Overall, an excellent layout with good fire lines, tight concentric walls, and focused turret placement.

The cliff was a bit of a double-edged sword as it allowed enemy infantry the ability to get close without notice (luckily only 3-4 vanu at a time), and the general over-reaching of our defences allowed enemy vehicles to drive down the cliff and assault our core unopposed. Placing the base within reach of the tech plant turrets also placed us under constant threat of powerful free bombardment. Points to improve upon.

Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Re: Fort Kickass

Hah! I forgot to write an AAR for this, thanks for the reminder!

This was on Thursday night. After inheriting squad lead and a base in the middle of TR territory from RaymondScout, he held on for a while with an active HIVE while the Vanu and TR both started to push in on the base. The TR took the nearby Amp station and started threatening us from that direction, but the Vanu were the real threat as the pushed in with armour, then with a siege fortification of their own, and finally with infantry as they overwhelmed our taxed defenses. The base fell, and I took the squad back to warpgate to pull armour. If the Vanu had continued their push, I wanted to meet them on the field; since they didn't, I took the armour squad hunting for enemy HIVEs.

We swept the southern river of Esamir and nuked a base or two, then once we saw a HIVE activate near Waterson's redemption I had us advance that way to see if we could provide a little extra security. What we found was a humble little base, with naught but basic emplacements and a simple inner wall, nestled against the ridgeline.

Since I'd just unlocked the full package of deployables, I took great glee in playing Santa Claus.

We dismounted and set to work augmenting the tiny little base, putting up another ring of walls, extra turrets, and a full suite of modules. In the meantime, our armour played interference with the constant minor encroachments from the enemy. Somehow, somewhere along the line, those efforts morphed into the monstrosity you see above.

More people arrived, more assets went up; we sent up a second silo a bit north, right where a large Cortium formation was constantly spawning, and extended the base further north with bunkers reaching almost all the way to the road around Eisa Tech. The main base only became more elaborate, with something like three rings of walls and a set of turrets and bunkers set into the ridge above.

As the base became mightier, so did the attacks; at first, only the Vanu began to really encroach on us; a large siege force to the south started hammering at us, and I could see a huge vehicle ball forming that I was sure would be the death of us. Rather than wait for them to come to us, I had the squad grab AT and charged over open ground to the small hill overlooking the road from the Waterson vehicle terminal. From there, we ambushed their armour column and demolished it in short order. We were then able to hold the hill, even in the face of enemy infantry incursions, until someone (bless their crazy heart) stuck a silo on the hill and we started fortifying THAT as well.

However, the Vanu would eventually counterattack in force and retake that hill. The TR also got in on the fight, having swept through Eisa tech and beginning a large armour incursion on the base in what would be the biggest fight of the night; friendly blues plus our squad gave us somewhere around platoon strength for the defenders, but both enemy factions had about the same, and they were attacking from two sides at once! It began to look grim; the Vanu seemed to be held at bay and the base was WELL stocked with Cortium, but the TR were making a lot of headway. Our northern most defenses were largely gone; the walls were knocked down, the silo went down, and our primary Sunderer garage in the north was now unshielded and under attack.

Around this time, our squad pushed north and, with the help of a friendly Sunderer placed in a very helpful location, were able to take high ground coming from Saerro Listening Post. With this new high ground and some concentrated antitank fire, we managed to hit the TR Sunderers, and without that their assault crumbled, allowing us to rebuild the north side of the base in relative peace (from what, given another 5-10 minutes, could have been a total collapse of the base). The fight continued on from there, but at that point we left to start capping bases for the alert, feeling fairly secure that the base would hold without our presence.

----

Of course, we weren't ALWAYS managing that base defense on Thursday; in the lulls, we also had a Galaxy landed in the base. There was an active TR HIVE on the opposite side of Eisa for a lot of the night, and we made a couple attempts on it.

The base itself was very well defended. Extensive structures and a substantial defense crew; with a squad sized group I wasn't optimistic about taking it on directly. It was built on the big hill NW of Eisa, with the Core and Silo nestled up against a cluster of purple crystals and the defenses spilling out from there.

However, after a recon flyby (where we also bombarded a Sunderer to death) I spotted a weakness; there was a plateau on the opposite side of the crystal formation that was devoid of emplacements and, as far as I could tell, completely unwatched. Those crystals surely weren't infantry tight, so I hatched a plan to drop a demolition squad on the plateau and then sneak up to the core and smash it.

The first attempt was a near success; we put a lot of fire and C4 on the HIVE shield, and I'm pretty sure we were close to dropping the shield. However, enemy infantry responded promptly and the automated Xiphos turret really did a number on us, and we wiped. Since our base near Waterson's was under siege, we went back to that and set up our defense.

Later, however, in a lull, we made another attempt. Apparently having learned nothing from the experience, the plateau was still devoid of defenses or TR, and we moved quickly to attack the HIVE. This time, we had more C4 and engaged a little more carefully, and we brought the core down. We also learned some valuable lessons about how long it takes for the HIVE to explode and how big a kill zone it has.

Comment

Re: Fort Kickass

Wicked, great writeup Star. I'm disappointed that I had to leave before all the fighting over this gem!
      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X