7/3/16 - A Heated Battle, A Mission Achieved, And A Daring Escape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] 7/3/16 - A Heated Battle, A Mission Achieved, And A Daring Escape

Tonight we had some very solid infantry teamwork that I will remember for a while.

We were on Indar working as an AT squad. An enemy deployed a base was just North of the high ridge that divides Indar running east to west. The NC controlled the area to the north (low ground) and the TR the south (high ground). There was a steep cliff above the enemy deployed base, and open sand out of front of it. The base was (if I recall correctly) south west of indar comm aray, east of quartz ridge. I might be a little wrong in terms of the east-west, but you get the idea.

Starstriker was our galaxy pilot, doing some nice flying to get us in and out of the high ground position behind enemy lines. We dropped, just south of the base on the high ground above it, walked to the edge, setup, and engaged the silo. We laid down fire on the silo, volley after volley. I figured, wrongly, because the hive was shielded the silo was the easier target. We were unable to down it. We extracted via galaxy after 2-3 minutes of good solid fire with no casualties. The enemy must have been repairing it with several engineers we concluded. I chalk that up to my mistake as squad lead in calling that as the target.

We reequipped, bringing 3 maxes this time and a greater focus on long range firepower, including a sniper to take out repairing engineers. Alex021 suggested we attack the Hive, as opposed to the silo because the silo was tougher and can be repaired, whereas the hive cannot. Sounded good to me.

Starstriker took us in again, but this time, as we hit the ground, things got hairy. Enemy air started bombarding us from above, and an enemy sundy was deployed at a moderate range behind us (too far to easily take out, but too close to ignore). Enemies were spawning out of it. We engaged the sundy first and destroyed it. The air fire intensified. Our gal was downed, and I placed a beacon for Starstriker to come in and assist on ground. A harasser came from our south, trying to run us over. Amidst this chaos we were getting light infantry attacks from our rear. So the general picture is, we are trying to shoot north, down the cliff at the core. At the same time, we are being strafed by a liberator (and of course the lib is trying to scrape us off the rock). Also 1 or 2 harassers are trying to run us over. Casualties were, needless to say heavy, but we kept our cool. I think a few guys used the beacon I placed for star, not sure exactly, it was a blur of explosions. Generally people kept shooting and did their jobs. If I recall starstriker and I were fighting on the flank side. I remember twice harassers making passes on us, one that took several of us out, but medics did well.

After maybe a minute of near madness, I looked north, (down) and saw the hive was gone. I had been trying to fend off the flankers on our south and didn’t see it explode. With our galaxy destroyed, and the enemy force on our rear (the high ground to the south) growing rapidly, I called for ex-filtration by climbing down the cliff we had been shooting down, facing into it. It was steep and certainly dangerous even if we were not under contact, but I figured it was our only way out and the enemy might not be crazy enough to follow. Still under fire, started climbing down the cliff and ran into the remains of the base we just took out. I typed that as if it took one second. It took longer, it seemed to take forever. The cliff was too high to get down quickly, and absolutely vertical at places. Any mistake in face forward climbing, and you were dead. If you were successful in the climb, to get to the shell of the enemy base that we had just taken out was 50 or 100 meters of open ground.

Most of us made the climb, and started running north. I encouraged guys to keep moving north for safety. We were now taking fire from above, from our old position, as well as occasional air strikes from mosquito fighters. We had no cover of any kind. After we reached the destroyed base, we still had to cross another open plain of sand to get to the nearest rocks which would provide good vertical cover. I also realized we could not stop here, at the destroyed base, because enemy vehicles in the open space north of us could easily take us out as we tried to take cover from the elevated fire coming from the southern cliffs, if a tank happened to come along. After we left the destroyed enemy base, we started taking fire not just from the high ground, but also from a prowler tank at medium to long range on our right/east flank. Still taking fire from the cliffs we used to occupy the whole way, we just ran. I called for one of the dead to get us a galaxy dropship. Someone said he could do it but it would not be pretty. I said it didn't have to be pretty it had to save our lives. I think about 20 seconds later when we didn't have a galaxy I told starstriker to get us one. (Apparently the first guy respawned at a base that he thought could spawn galaxies, but could not.) I think I also called for guys to strafe as they ran, move along two axis, because with all the fire coming at us, that seemed the most a useful command I could give. We eventually made the long run to some rocks where we could take cover for a moment. Just as I started to relax and congratulate the survivors -about 8 or 9 of the 12 of us made it to the rocks through all of that- a TR sundy (and maybe one other vehicle?) charged us from the direction we had just come from. Because of the curve of the rock we were hiding behind it engaged us at very close range, and we did not get a lot of warning. It made me realize “Hey, we are not out of this yet!” We fought off the TR sundy, and a few seconds later our galaxy arrived. It picked us up under moderate fire, and we finally, finally, reached the safety of the NC north.

That is the kind of op that makes me proud to be TG. As I think I told the squad afterward, “that’s the kind of operation you have to be in TG to see” or words to that effect. We had a good plan (use high ground to take out hive) everyone did well (guys fought well and survived some very intense combat) and followed orders as a unit (climbed down the cliff and escaped together). Good stuff guys.

If anyone happened to get that on video, post it up. If not, post your recollections of the battle. I would love to read someone else’s perspective.

Thank you very much to everyone who took part. [MENTION=16189]starstriker1[/MENTION] [MENTION=88143]Alex021[/MENTION] [MENTION=146395]LancasterLouie[/MENTION] [MENTION=146399]NeRoQc[/MENTION] [MENTION=146394]CrispyDumpling[/MENTION] & everyone else!

Garthra
    Last edited by Garthra; 07-04-2016, 12:59 PM.
    The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Re: 7/3/16 - A Heated Battle, A Mission Achieved, And A Daring Escape

That sounds like a very fun game indeed. It's those intense moments where your preparation as a team really is tested. Great AAR....can't wait to hear more perspectives on this one!
    |TG-189th| Unkl
    ArmA 3 Game Officer
    Dean of Tactical Gamer University
    189th Infantry Brigade Member
    SUBMIT A RIBBON NOMINATION OR CONTACT AN ARMA ADMIN
    "We quickly advance in the opposite direction and take cover in a house on the SW side of town." - BadStache

Comment

I had a ton of fun flying air transport for this.

The original insertion above the cliff is a bit of a story on its own; the squad had been deployed on the ridge north of the base we were eventually going to attack, and was busying itself knocking down enemy armour in the ground between Quartz Ridge and Indar Excavation Site. I'd flown the initial Galaxy in and dropped off the squad, and was loitering behind them to the north in case they needed pickup. I also had some opportunity to call out surprise vehicle attacks from the rear before they hit the squad, which Garthra quickly reoriented the squad towards in the few seconds warning I was able to give them. I was then killed while hovering low near the squad by a prowler that had flanked the squad to the north, and thereafter joined the squad as a heavy assault to help kill enemy tanks.

Soon enough, though, Garthra wanted to relocate, and I once again volunteered to redeploy to warpgate and fly the Galaxy for the squad. When I arrived, the squad was facing south and engaging enemy armour there with intermittent contact from the TR-held Indar Comm Array on their east of the same ridge. I landed behind the ridge and loaded the squad up, and off we went. Garthra stuck a waypoint on the firing position he wanted south of the TR HIVE, and advised me on an eastern approach to avoid as much of the heavy fighting as possible on our way in.

As it turned out, I was flying a bit too close to the front lines as I rounded the corner around the north side of Indar Comm Array, as several TR tanks and flak units were already there fighting an NC push from Dahaka's southern satellite. As soon as I saw it I began evasive maneuvers, and heavy fire started immediately after. I made a mad dash for a rock outcropping that would break line of sight from the enemy units, and I wasn't sure we were going to make it, but we held on and I swung into cover with the vehicle on fire but in control enough to land. Everyone in the squad popped out and the three engineers (myself included) started repairing the Galaxy immediately... and a good thing, too, as the enemy was still flinging flak our way! One or two TR units must still have had a line of sight on us, but we were able to repair through the damage and get the Galaxy topped off. As soon as we were topped off, we piled in and flew off in a hurry to the east, swinging back further behind the lines to evade any further contact.

When we eventually landed, I pulled the Galaxy south into low ground to try and maintain a low profile, trying to stay nearby for a pickup. As the squad poured fire on the HIVE base, I eventually swung into the rocks they were shooting from and landed there, using the barely upgraded drake turret on the Galaxy to provide a little perimeter security while I sat there (taking out a hovering mosquito that thought my Galaxy was just there for target practice). When the squad wanted to exfil, I was right there and got them out of there quickly and without further incident.

I had enough fun flying transport that I decided to invest some of my stockpiled certs into my neglected Galaxy; it now sports a thermal-equipped Bulldog turret on the left wing and some upgraded composite armour, both of which I brought with me when I would later come in to pick up the squad after the daring escape Garthra wrote about. When I arrived, with a couple dead squad members spawning in with me as I flew from the warpgate, there was a TR Sunderer pursuing the squad just around the corner from their current position. I instructed my gunner to open up with the Bulldog as we arrived, and I maneuvered to engage the target in advance of a landing. When the Sunderer went down (I couldn't tell you how much damage the Bulldog actually put down, or if the infantry were mostly responsible) I came in low for a landing, picked up the squad's survivors, and flew north to safety!

The night had a few more fun Galaxy insertions and exfils; a few targets of opportunity, one or two pit stops at a friendly player-built base for repair and rearmament, and another HIVE assault deep in the canyons of SE Indar near the Vanu warpgate.

The latter involved us dropping above a base under construction without a skyshield and pouring down AT fire, and during the fight a new squad member who had joined too late to load into my Galaxy had pulled one of their own and landed beside mine. By the time the squad finally broke the Vanu HIVE down, the Vanu air had started to become thick, and we needed to exfil through a lot of enemy territory. A bit more than half the squad loaded up into my Galaxy and the rest piled into the other, and Garthra identified an exfil point to our north past The Palisades that looked reasonably safe. I dove into the canyons and made a beeline for it, only to realize to late that our other Galaxy had swerved too far south and was no longer with us. What's more, they'd picked up a fair bit of fighter attention. They were a kilometer south when I swung around to try and cover their escape, but they were overwhelmed by enemy fighters before I could arrive.

Fortunately, they'd taken a turn into a nearby canyon and everyone had managed to bail before losing their Galaxy. When I swung in low through the canyon, they'd made it up a path midway up the canyon wall and I quickly settled in to pick them up. The rest was smooth sailing, as I pulled them north through the Palisades and safely home towards the warpgate as the squad prepared to wrap up for the night.

I can't help but wonder how many people in our squad managed to stay alive (medic revives notwithstanding) all the way from that first engagement against TR armour to our final assault on the Vanu. I expect that's a fair number of them, maybe even all 8-9 who survived the trek over open ground!

Comment

Unfortunately, between those two successful ops was a wipe at the crown. But, hey, you cannot win them all. :)
        The question foremost in my mind is "what will bring the most tactical fun to the server?"

Comment

Oh, right, I'd forgotten about that!

Comment

Originally posted by starstriker1 View Post
            I had a ton of fun flying air transport for this.

[...]

I had enough fun flying transport that I decided to invest some of my stockpiled certs into my neglected Galaxy; it now sports a thermal-equipped Bulldog turret on the left wing and some upgraded composite armour, both of which I brought with me when I would later come in to pick up the squad after the daring escape Garthra wrote about.
            Careful, upgrading the Gal can be addicting! ...And costly!

But it is, so much fun!

Always love to read AARs about airborne infantry, makes me want to get in game and fly Gal! :)
            "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yeah, I noticed it could get pricey. I held off on grabbing a Walker for exactly that reason. The bulldog was expensive enough!

Comment

As a follow up, I heard through the grape vine that the opposing TR force on the high ground (flanking us at first, and shooting down on us as we escaped) was quite impressed with our maneuver. It is always good to receive praise from your enemy. The enemy is the only person you know is being honest with you. Well done guys.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X