• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] FNF July 19th, 2019

Platoon Lead: Heleana
    Alpha Lead: E-Male (DrStrangelove)
    Charlie Lead: DaddyOfThree & KingXro

We started this FNF like most others with the assembly at the warpgate. The troops were given the announcements for the coming weeks and the SLs reported their desired taskings. Alpha wanted to do air support and Charlie wanted to do ground armor. As PL I decided to best help them I could provide recon and information. I stayed in a Drop Pod / Stealth Reaver most of the night. I was able to do long range scouting and let the squads know when they had flankers approaching.

The Alpha squad provided two very effective Liberator units separated into fireteams. The Liberators were piloted by Jestermaximus and Liberatus. I often observed the liberators flying orbital circles around a target with both units hitting the same target. Even when moving for a restock both units went together to ensure their safety. The ground units in Alpha were a MAX with Bursters and a supporting repair Sunderer for Charlie. DrStrangelove kept the squad engaged with targets and safe with the support of the "home" unit of the repair Sunderer and AA cover. The Alpha squad members came to the aid of the PL and his flaming Reaving more than once. Scouting excursions proved dangerous but rewarding throughout the night.

The Charlie squad was our heavy demolitions squad and set the tempo of the platoon. By it's very nature Charlie was slower moving around the map. Charlie was often given the primary tasking of patrolling between two bases on the front lines. Once such patrol path was from Quartz Ride to Allatum Broadcast Hub. Charlie was advised when to start the move by PL. Once the main TR force had gone up the hill to ABH Charlie came behind them and cleared the path all the way to ABH with ease. This move was done several times throughout the night. Midway though FNF DoT headed off and KingXRO stepped up to lead. King continued with the armor on the VS front at Snake Ravine where he held equal or greater numbers of VS on open ground, with low amounts of cover. PL continued to provide intel to Charlie about flanks while Alpha provided the support to hit the targets Charlie could not reach.

The last major stretch of FNF started when DrStrangelove had to step away and the PL took up Alpha SL. Alpha and Charlie were tasked with the defense of Tawrich Tech Plant. Both squads gravitated towards mechanized infantry AV. Charlie eventually ended up at the abandoned base between The Crossroads and Tawrich Depot. This is one massive checkpoint with a bridge that Charlie utilized. Alpha squad was on the rock outcroppings to the SW of Charlie and NW of Tawrich Depot. From the point of view of the VS armor pushing towards Crossroads they had to push under the bridge held by Charlie but not without taking fire from the side by Alpha. The two infantry squads held against 2v1 odds of pure VS armor. It was quite a feat to see and a fitting end to FNF.

Thanks to all the TG who came out!

A great night, sorry I could not stay for the wrap up but 11:00 pm was my limit. I messed up SL-to-PL comms a bit too much last night (I should have been using notes...). BUT my squad mates did a great job of staying together. The combined air/ground units worked well within one squad, a result of not being shifted all over the map with great frequency.

I gave my squad a simple set of orders for most of the evening: within the scope of our PL orders, I had Alpha air and ground units following Charlie ground units as much as possible, with instructions to stay separate from Charlie and not to get in their way. As a result, for quite some time Alpha was able to effectively keep the air clear over Charlie.

I plan to run teh same ops again when the time is right: Daddy (or any good tank commander) commanding an armor unit, which is shadowed by a second squad of air/ground support. Tight cohesion. Magnified force ratios.

Again,my apologies for being in less that a clear frame of mind last night and all the messed up comms on my part.

sigpic

Comment

All I can say is MOAR AIR! ;) Seriously though, would love to run a tight air squad in the near future. The way GeneralCain taught us!
      sigpic
      Nothing to see here but a hole in space.

Comment

Originally posted by Jestermaximus View Post
        All I can say is MOAR AIR! ;) Seriously though, would love to run a tight air squad in the near future. The way GeneralCain taught us!
        Yes, GCain has a touch with air, similar to DaddyofThree's unique mastery of tank commanding. Can you recall the aspects of GCain's air command style?
        sigpic

Comment

I like to consider my air command style as a loose control with demanding communication, it's easy for us all to go off on an adventure if we can maintain that we are going together.

The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers. Ralph Nader

Comment

From what I recall, there were many times when a single target would be called out, and all the aircraft would form a line and dive at that target. Then everyone would get out of hex and wait for the next target to be called. That was the tight coordination I loved!
            sigpic
            Nothing to see here but a hole in space.

Comment

That is the preferred tactic of making a precision strike against I high priority target normally reserved for heavy combat area's. While the tactic is viable and survivable it takes a great deal of patience and keeps often a full squad with only a few kills so not ideal for an air group but does allow us to ensure that even in the hard fights TG can bring combined arms in situations that would be deemed suicide to the lone pilot!

The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers. Ralph Nader

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X