Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repository for details you want to highlight for the rest of the community.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repository for details you want to highlight for the rest of the community.

Right I don't know if there might be a need for this kind of thread, if not I'll trust it'll sink to the bottom quickly enough.
    When watching the videos, I keep seeing little details I think others may miss. I would like this to be a place to mention and discuss these features freely without going off topic too much in other threads.

So here's goes:
    1. Squad/ platoon/outfit system

• You will be on voip immediately when you join the game as a squad/outfit member
        -eat that other games that make you use crap solutions

• The squadleader can mark an objective for focusing on. Players fighting for this area will get bonus points
        The SL can also order e.g. tanks to assault an area; all tanks going there will get bonus xp
        -This is what we've wanted in Project Reality for the longest time, but it was technically too hard.
        -Forget all the points for tossing medic packs; this is the only real way points can stimulate teamwork, by giving points when yo do as the boss says :p. I can't put the right words on how revolutionary this feature is. This is truly progress, and afaik no other game has done this before

• Outfit progression: they have their very own unlock system allowing you to have an outfit uniform, or other yet unspecified features.
        -How cool is that? No-one again has done this before afaik, unless some MMO has done it for guilds. You play as a clan/group so you can progress in the game as a clan/group. How stupidly brilliant is that! I say stupidly because all the other developers must be braindead not to have thought of this earlier.

• Outfits have their own internal chain of command with a ranks system that can be customized by the outfit leaders. So a new recruit, using in game tools, can be giving as rank say 'private', or 'lowly stormtrooper' and accorded new ranks as wanted. I am not too sure if I have gotten all the details right here, but this is the understanding I came away from the video with.

2. Environment
      • Dynamic weather (to be in after release)
        -The devs will add dynamic weather with rain, storm fronts moving across the world forming, dissipating. Sandstorms or mist, will change visibility and tactics.

• Water and I think also swimming will be added later as making water takes long.

• Correct movement of stars, planets and moons, including it's effects on lighting, e.g. reflection of sunlight on the moon was specifically mentioned in the art director interview.

3. Weapons

• Proximity mines!!
        -I haven't played a game with proximity mines since PErfect Dark on the N64. Aah proximity mines, a coward's, and a smoker's best friend. Haaah....The sweet memories of lining huge areas with instant death. The posthumous rage of your victims. I love the smell of burnt pixels...

That's all for now, feel free to add or discuss.
    Last edited by BigGaayAl; 07-18-2012, 10:32 AM.

Re: Repository for details you want to highlight for the rest of the community.

I wanted to poke on the rank system in particular. As a group we never been big on rank and I think it should continue along that line. My suggestion is three ranks, maybe 4 depending on mechanics.

I'm assuming here but usually games like this don't allow a "group" of people to be in charge so you would need on person in charge the "Outfit Leader". Under that would be your "Squad Leaders". Both would have the same roles. Admin side, recruiting long term planning ect. In game there primary role would be to provide leadership to the outfit and maintaining the level of play we would expect from a TG lead endeavor.

Below this would be general member ship hear by known as "member"

Below that would be recruit/newguy/FNG ect.

Two things I would like to see happen. The first is I want us to adopt the ARMA style of leadership. What that means is at the beginning of the day or op people would be asked if they would like to volunteer to lead the group in a Platoon or Squad leader role. This would be allowed of any member regardless of rank and especially encourage among the lower members. If none step up the the Outfit/Squad leaders would be expected to fill those roles.

Secondly on recruitment, this isn't a IHS obviously and each outfit is going to represent TG as a whole. Generally new people to TG have been told they can "tag up" when they feel they are ready to follow the TG way. PS2 is probable going to have typical "guild" mechanics so people can't just join in willy nilly. What I propose is if a subject wants in let them in. They would be put in the recruit role, and go through a probationary period, say two weeks. This would give the outfit time to see if they mesh with the group. Basically be a teamplayer and not a disruption to the outfit.

Comment

First off like your suggestion of keeping entry open. THat is what differentiates TG from a clan.

Secondly, I would think it to be a waste if we used none of the system provided. Your suggestions of use all seem sensible. We'll also have to wait and see exactly how things can be customized.

Personally I am looking to spend most of my time as a squad-leader on the ground if I may :D, I would certainly be interested in trying out running a full platoon as well. I naturally gravitate towards these positions in most games, as I like to try winning the battle by out-thinking and out-organizing the enemy. My favorite victory is to have a bunch of less experienced, less talented players, beat a team of very good twitch players.

Comment

I think this thread is a great idea so please don't get discouraged by me being a bit of a downer on a few things you mentioned. My gut reaction to anyone gushing about something is to find faults. I actually would like PS2 to be a revolutionary tactical shooter, but after Brink I am skeptical of pretty much everything pitched as revolutionary.

So first for the positive, voip on join immediately does sound good to me and is a bonus selling point.

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
        [*]The squadleader can mark an objective for focusing on. Players fighting for this area will get bonus points
        The SL can also order e.g. tanks to assault an area; all tanks going there will get bonus xp
        -This is what we've wanted in Project Reality for the longest time, but it was technically too hard.
        -Forget all the points for tossing medic packs; this is the only real way points can stimulate teamwork, by giving points when yo do as the boss says :p. I can't put the right words on how revolutionary this feature is. This is truly progress, and afaik no other game has done this before
        BF2142 and BF2 had similar systems if I recall. BF2142s was way better at rewarding you for things like repair actions and other orders too I think.

Even BF3 gives you extra points for being around objectives when they are captured or defended, extra bonus points for being at the one your squad lead orders. Think this works regardless of whether or not you are in a vehicle. I guess there is something to say for commanding infantry in one place and tanks in another, but I am not sure what you are saying about PS2 means you can do that.

On the TG BF3 server, top squad (worth points as well) is really only obtained by squads that use orders and carry them out.

Not seeing the revolution here. Maybe I am missing something.

[*]Outfit progression: they have their very own unlock system allowing you to have an outfit uniform, or other yet unspecified features.
        -How cool is that? No-one again has done this before afaik, unless some MMO has done it for guilds. You play as a clan/group so you can progress in the game as a clan/group. How stupidly brilliant is that! I say stupidly because all the other developers must be braindead not to have thought of this earlier.
        BF3 does some neat stuff with clan tags and "platoon" identification (says you are representing a platoon in kill cam I think), but it falls short of everyone wearing the same "unique" t-shirt. They let you make your own logo on Battlelog and share it with people via your profile and such.

Plus, you can always pick to run your squad all with the same camo in BF3, it is just a pain to do manually. I have read about people doing it with odd colors like the Navy blue pattern. I would wonder how many unique t-shirts they will put in PS2 to make each different clan of 4 kids feel special. Maybe just allow lettering on it so everyone can feel they have their own?

Sounds like MW2 custom gun logos and aimpoints to me.

[*]Dynamic weather (to be in after release)
        -The devs will add dynamic weather with rain, storm fronts moving across the world forming, dissipating. Sandstorms or mist, will change visibility and tactics.
        Sounds nifty, but I have read reactions from players to trash blowing in COD4, dust and snow blowing in BC2, and bright sunshine in BF3. Generally players get cranky when something gets in the way of them aiming, shooting, and killing that they cannot control. I think it is a shame many think that way since it makes environments boring, but I expect complaints will flow like water about this and competition groups will demand it be turned off unless it is consistent across the map and from one round to the next.

[*]Proximity mines!!
        -I haven't played a game with proximity mines since PErfect Dark on the N64. Aah proximity mines, a coward's, and a smoker's best friend. Haaah....The sweet memories of lining huge areas with instant death. The posthumous rage of your victims. I love the smell of burnt pixels....

So claymores our bouncing betties you can put on walls...not exactly massively original. I fear the exploits more than anything though.

Comment

But I love exploiting (using) those proximity mines so much :p.

First off let me say, as far the forum rules allow, speak your mind in this thread. It calls for discussing, so please discuss as you well please.

*I didn't know other games had implemented getting more xp for following specific leader chosen objectives. I hope it will work well, but it certainly was not in BF2 in any way. It is not a revolution then I suppose, although the tank specification shows that they are doing it in a thought-out manner and are taking it seriously.

*About the outfit customizations:
          I think no other game has tried to implement it seriously like they have in an fps. In one of the videos I saw them change look of multiple characters with a few clicks.

Comment

Correct movement of stars, planets and moons, including it's effects on lighting, e.g. reflection of sunlight on the moon was specifically mentioned in the art director interview.
            OMG. Awesome.

So how are we going to decide who the head leader of the *outfit/ platoon/ whichever it's called* is? Any ideas? I almost kind of see this working in a similar way to how IHS's work (without the having to be a SM aspect). And based on player numbers, how many of the groups/ platoons/ whatever are we going to need?

Comment

The word is outfit. We can vote but as were not even in beta and people may or may not switch faction allegiances, that is going to have to wait till closer to release.

Comment

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
                The word is outfit. We can vote but as were not even in beta and people may or may not switch faction allegiances, that is going to have to wait till closer to release.
                The way Jeepo writes, he has already started a NC outfit with the name "TG Phoenix." Out of the ashes of PR, TG rises again in PS2.

About outfit specific clothes: Guild Wars had guild specific, customizable emblem would be put on capes that guild members could wear. Also with the GW:Factions expansion, the guild emblem would be placed on the banners of outposts and cities depending on which guild had control of it (this is done in TERA too; GW and TERA are mmorpg's). It isn't new but still very cool.

--Vanu hover-tanks will be able to hover over water (once it is implemented).
                Viking

Comment

Originally posted by DaViking View Post
                  The way Jeepo writes, he has already started a NC outfit with the name "TG Phoenix." Out of the ashes of PR, TG rises again in PS2.

About outfit specific clothes: Guild Wars had guild specific, customizable emblem would be put on capes that guild members could wear. Also with the GW:Factions expansion, the guild emblem would be placed on the banners of outposts and cities depending on which guild had control of it (this is done in TERA too; GW and TERA are mmorpg's). It isn't new but still very cool.

--Vanu hover-tanks will be able to hover over water (once it is implemented).
                  Yeah something like that, but I am just toying with the idea as no one can decide a thing in this naming thread:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/planets...fit-names.html

:)

Comment

[*]Correct movement of stars, planets and moons, including it's effects on lighting, e.g. reflection of sunlight on the moon was specifically mentioned in the art director interview.
                    In an artcle I read (can't quote it right now) they are going to have /Different/ types of moons, So each moon will have its own Light intensity changing the battlefield even more.

Id say the only thing this game doesn't have is distrucible envirments but we all know how badily that would work out for the game.

Comment

But I love exploiting (using) those proximity mines so much :p.

First off let me say, as far the forum rules allow, speak your mind in this thread. It calls for discussing, so please discuss as you well please.

*I didn't know other games had implemented getting more xp for following specific leader chosen objectives. I hope it will work well, but it certainly was not in BF2 in any way. It is not a revolution then I suppose, although the tank specification shows that they are doing it in a thought-out manner and are taking it seriously.

*About the outfit customizations:
                      I think no other game has tried to implement it seriously like they have in an fps. In one of the videos I saw them change look of multiple characters with a few clicks.
                      Brink... oh so much Brink... is all I can picture when you talk about all your hope from developer videos. I hope it turns out well, but it is never what they tell you that goes wrong, it is that other things on the side that makes it not matter because that thing destroys the game. (For Brink it was bad weapons balance and design that meant there was no reason to play different body types or weapons on top of very very very poor technical performance of the game. No amount of points incentives made people not play for the K/D even though kills and deaths weren't even shown on the scoreboard if I recall.)

Comment

You are right in pointing out that many things can still go wrong. It is entirely possible. I believe only now in the tech test are they truly testing player numbers possible in the engine.

One of the things that makes me feel different about these developers though is the amount of time they spend in contact with the community; giving long interviews to guys that run youtube channels. Actually sitting there and taking all kinds of questions, some certainly difficult. With other devs I just bluntly get the feeling they are lying much of the time. In fact I think EA employees aren't allowed to speak truthfully. The planetside 2 guys do need a large player base to even have a change of having the game work. There is good competition in the free to play area, e.g. tf2,... to get the people to play their game even for free will require them to deliver a quality product.

Basically, they see us as the npc's populating their world, where the free to play people are essential to building up the game world and bringing it to life. If they don't have technical issues, if they stick to their plan, then we have a high chance of an innovative game here. At least they are trying to bring us something new, something not rehashed.

Btw never played Brink because it didn't seem like a good game to me.

Comment

Brink had a lot of potential but turned out to be a mess. As Al was saying the big difference here is the sheer amount of community involvement and how much they've not only let people play the game but record and show it off to everyone else. Can't help but have a good feeling for how this is looking so far. Plus its free to play, unlike Brink, I won't be out $50 if I don't like it at release.

Comment

in all fairness....your comparing a small developer to SOE. like the difference between a pinto and an 18 wheeler
                            "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

SOE is a big company yes, but we don't know the size of the actual team working on PS2. I wouldn't call Splash Damage particularly small in the great scheme of things(30+ member team). Plus they had some good previous games to stand on. Brink just failed in its implementation. I don't think the games issues were because of the size of the team, it was more design decisions.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X