Can someone explain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain?

Ive tryied to figure out the difference in Language used to explain the "Map" "Continent" ectra. Is there a break down of the differences in the areas? I am little confused with it since most poeple who speak of that they refer it as maps. However each battleground is one server for the 6000 limit? or one continent to one server? How is territory broken down? For instance those domes (safe haven areas for a specific side) what are those? What is a territory? map? base? defined? I never played planetside1 before.

Re: Can someone explain?

Hah, I keep thinking the same. But the beta is just a couple to a few weeks away. I'm sure once we get in the beta, it'll all make sense after a couple of days being in it.

Comment

Okey I figured it out, through wikipedia and lots of reading and you tube. The only thing wrong about the video in a streaming video higby talks about the diferent coninents and confirms the ICE one and Jungle/swamp one.

Comment

The PS term is continent, this some times get switched out with "map". Each continent can hold 2000 players and is 64km2. At launch the plan to have 3 continents. So at launch each server can have 6000 concurrent players. I would imagine the actually limits for each server would be higher as not all players are going to be on at all times. Territory is broken down into hex or hexes. A large base will have a large control area over multiple hexes. Smaller outposts would consist of a smaller number or even one hex. So if you take said base your empire would then acquire ownership over those hexes. The domes are refered to as Warp Gates. In PS2 each outfit has an uncaptureable base or "safe haven" within each WarpGate. In PS1 these warpgates were used to teleport the player between different continents, and inside the dome all weapons were rendered useless. These two mechanics are assumed to have ported over to PS2.

Comment

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
          The PS term is continent, this some times get switched out with "map". Each continent can hold 2000 players and is 64km2. At launch the plan to have 3 continents. So at launch each server can have 6000 concurrent players. I would imagine the actually limits for each server would be higher as not all players are going to be on at all times. Territory is broken down into hex or hexes. A large base will have a large control area over multiple hexes. Smaller outposts would consist of a smaller number or even one hex. So if you take said base your empire would then acquire ownership over those hexes. The domes are refered to as Warp Gates. In PS2 each outfit has an uncaptureable base or "safe haven" within each WarpGate. In PS1 these warpgates were used to teleport the player between different continents, and inside the dome all weapons were rendered useless. These two mechanics are assumed to have ported over to PS2.
          yes all those mechanics are ported over. As the video explains, and then reference with random things for interviews and such since I went nuts trying to figure it out what the heck they were talking about sometimes lol.

Comment

Are characters locked to a particular server, a la World of Warcraft, i.e. are we going to need to decide which server TG will set up on? Or can you choose which server to join when you start the game each time like a traditional FPS? Also, is there any region-locking, or are we trusted to choose nearby servers to reduce lag?
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

No region locking. Initally there was going to be but the community didn't want it so SOE changed their plans. (Can you imagine other companies doing that?)

Obviously I am UK based but will go USA East coast to get the best ping, as I always do for TG.

Finally, it is one character per server. Not sure if that is true in the beta though, but it is that way in the final release.

Comment

Ok, thank you for the information.
                |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X