Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Station Cash and you, getting the most for your money!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Station Cash and you, getting the most for your money!

**What is Station Cash?**

Station Cash (SC) is Sony Online Entertainment’s (SOE) currency for buying items from the marketplaces in their online games. Your SOE account has a single unified SC wallet tied to it and those funds can be used in any of the games associated with your account (EQ, EQ2, DCUO, Free Realms, Planetside 2 etc). The main FAQ on SC can be found here: http://www.soe.com/stationcash/faq.vm

**How does SC relate to real money?**

Each 100 points of SC is equal to $1 of real money. Various currency equivalents below thanks to the SOE SC FAQ page.

Currency USD AUD DKK EUR GBP NOK SEK CHF JPY
    100SC = $1.00 $1.60 Kr 7,00 €1,00 .80 kr 7,00 10.00 Kr CHF 1.20 ¥100

**How do I add SC to my account?**

You can add SC by going to http://www.soe.com/stationcash/ and logging into your account and buying it via credit card or Paypal. You can also buy SC via SMS (cell phone, adds it to your phone bill) or purchasing SC cards at various retailers.

**I’m planning on having multiple PS2 accounts; can I trade SC or items bought with SC between them?**

No, currently SC is non transferable and items bought with SC are also non transferable.

**But Shellfishguy, I like free things, can I get SC for free?**

Sometimes, yes! SOE sometimes offers free SC for Facebook events or even taking some online surveys. Keep an eye on the PS2 Facebook page and the main SOE website for chances at free SC. Surveys may give 5 – 10 SC while the Facebook events can give up to 500 SC.

For example, the last Everquest event gave everyone (who had logged into EQ in the past 6 months) 500 SC once they gained a new 1000 likes on their EQ Facebook page.

**Ok, ok that isn’t much for free, how do I get the most SC for my money?**

Thankfully SOE is pretty good about giving you opportunities to get bonus SC. This most often comes from Double or Triple SC events. These can run from as little as 24 hours to a few days long. As per the rules for the specific event, SOE will double or triple all SC purchases during that time. Double events happen fairly often (monthly/bi-monthly) while Triple events are rarer (once every 3 – 6 months). It’s often a good idea to check in for sales around holidays. So if you see yourself spending SC, load up during the sales. One thing to note, sales often have restrictions, like being for redeeming SC cards only, or no SMS purchases allowed. So read up carefully on the rules of any specific sales event.

**But Shellfishguy, that’s great and all but I want MORE!**

Greedy little bastard aren’t ya? Well that’s good, because so am I! And for people like us there is this place called Walmart. It seems like Walmart and SOE are best buds, and the SC cards at Walmart are loaded with a bonus 500 SC over other cards. So the 1500 SC Walmart card actually gives you 2000 SC. And the really great thing? On double SC sales that becomes 4000SC and 6000SC during a triple sale! So for $15 you can get $60 worth of SC!

Now, these cards can sell out fast and are often out of stock. You also need to make sure you get the right card. These are only available IN STORE, you can’t get these online. Look at the link below, see the box with the Walmart logo declaring the SC bonus? No box, no bonus, be sure you get the right card.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-Unive...-Card/19530504

In Canada SOE recently announced that EB stores will be selling a similar card, so our northern neighbors need not fear! I don’t currently know if these deals are available in Europe or other areas.

We should keep an eye out for when PS2 releases for what they do with the PS2 specific cards. The SC cards for SOE’s Star Wars: The Clone Wars game offer some extra unlocks and in-game bonuses along with the SC. They may do something similar for PS2 since its going to be free to play from the ground up.

**But how much SC do things cost?**

Well we don’t really know for PS2 yet, but I can give some examples from Everquest. Decoration items for your house run about 50 – 300 SC. Mounts run 300 – 1500ish SC. Decorative weapon skins run 100 – 300SC. Character services (name changes, server transfers etc) run 1000 – 4000 SC depending on the service(s).

Now another thing to note, at least in EQ is that they’re always running sales on items in the marketplace (including character services). So if you’re patient, you can not only get bonus SC on the front end, but get the items you want for up to 75% off on the back end. Most sales tend to be around 50% off, but there are outliers on either end.

**Ok then, what next?**

I’ll do my best to keep an eye out for the SC sales events and post here when I see one coming.

I’m not going to encourage people to spend money on SC until they have tried the game, but if you made an account (you should have had to make one to associate with your beta key) you should have a SC wallet and can add funds as you see fit.

Let me know any other questions you may have and check out the main FAQ linked above, they do a pretty good job of explaining the system.
    Last edited by Warlab; 07-24-2012, 04:35 PM. Reason: Bolded some txt

Re: Station Cash and you, getting the most for your money!

Nice job dude thanks for the info!

Comment

I have two SOE accounts, one with 950 SC, and the other with 550, I really with I could merge those together. ;(

Comment

For people who like contests, SOE is doing a SC giveaway on Facebook in honor of the upcoming EQ2 expansion. Enter at:
        http://platform.votigo.com/fbsweeps/...-Cash-Giveaway

Comment

Great write up Shell.
          Thanks for taking the time to do it sir :)

|

Comment

Was my pleasure. I'm just glad I had some knowledge that I could dispense to help out the community.

Comment

thanks buddy +rep
              sigpic

Former Pathfinder
              Former ARMA Admin
              Former ARMA TGU instructor
              Former TGU Headmaster
              Current Noob
              Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Indeed, +1!

Comment

Time to go and Bulk Buy the Walmart Station Cash Cards!..Sorry locals..!! Gotta Read the TG to get the tips!! Thanks! I assume hold on to a few for those Bonus days?
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                  ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I wonder what department they would be in?
                    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Picked up 3 of the Walmart Cards today ( the Bonus ones)...They are back in the PC Game section hanging on the rack next to the Boxed software... Now time fore Beta Key!! Anyone? Heh
                      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Tweet from smedley.

"we will make sure any European players can transfer their station cash over to Prosieben."

I am not a tweeter, but here is a link to his Twits.

http://es.twitter.com/j_smedley

Comment

I bought a 1500+500 bonus SC card today. Should I wait until a double SC sale hits, before redeeming it?

Comment

Glad to see that the Walmart SC cards are still out there! Back from vacation and looking forward to getting back into the beta. As Peardog said the cards are located back in the games section. They usually have a display with all the different points cards for the various Free to play games out there.

As for when to redeem the cards, I'd wait till at least a double cash event. But its really up to you. Unless there is something you NEED to have NOW, you can always get it cheaper if you're patient.

Comment

A small bit of SC news, SOE just announced that you will no longer be able to purchase expansions or DLC packs with SC. From Aug 27th on out they will only be purchasable directly with real money. I was able to get the last Everquest expansion's collectors edition for less than the regular edition by using sales and bonus SC events. So its understandable, but still kinda stinks. So just know that any DLC packs or expansions to PS2 will have to be bought with straight cash.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X