Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planetside 2 Hints and Tips thread

A thread to tell others about useful and cool things you discover:

In the Main map (lower right corner) there's tick boxes that you can check to show Missions, Facilities, Allies, Territory & Enemies. On the lower left is where you can select a Hotspot to join in the `Instant Action`.

Using the F Keys allows to switch positions in a vehicle. Except the drivers seat (F1) if you didn't spawn the vehicle

Heavy Assault have a shield, activate is using F

I will post some more later.

Re: Planetside 2 Hints and Tips thread

There are some new Implants, namely "Squad Experience Amplifier" and "Squad Resource Amplifier". These stack in squads so make sure you all pick one and use it!

The Quick Action Menu:

For those of you who haven't played with the QAM yet, I wanted to give a brief rundown of what it is.

The quick action menu is a contextual radial menu that displays whenever you aim at someone and press and hold the spotting button ([Q] by default). You can use the QAM to quickly send friend requests, to invite to squad/platoon, to mute/ignore, and to send messages. There are also a number of contextual options that appear in the top-center position. Those option include:
    Request transport (when targeting an ally vehicle with available seating)
    Request ammo (when targeting an ally engineer)
    Offer ammo (when targeting an ally as an engineer)
    Request healing (when targeting an ally combat medic)
    Offer healing (when targeting an a damaged ally soldier)
    Request repairs (when targeting a engineer as a MAX or as a vehicle occupant)
    Offer repairs (when targeting a damaged MAX or vehicle as an engineer)
    All of the contextual options have canned voice messages that play on both the target and source (ex: "I need a ride!"). Also, the indicator of the player triggering the message will blink on the HUD and minimap for a few seconds after each request.

There are still some kinks we're ironing out with the QAM, but please feel free to send us your feedback nonetheless!
    Look around in the cockpit using the middle mouse button (by default).

holdin down 'B' key is a select fire on infantry guns.

The little towers with blue steering wheel/ammo icons are where you park vehicles to resupply.

left shift in sniper mode to "breath hold"

left shift in aircraft for afterburners

F activates specials on infantry and MAX. Each is different

You can steer your drop pods. And kill thing by hitting them with it! ;)

Pressing F as a medic heals yourself as well as others

You can drive a flash indoors even up stairs around corners etc

You gain a cert point upon successfully capturing/defending a facility.

You can buy different types of grenades depending on your class and certs.

Scythes are squishy enough that ramming them with a Reaver has a chance to kill it. Coincidentally, this is also how I learned there is a bonus for "Ramming" other vehicles to death.

You can press "T" in almost any vehicle and go into the 3rd person.

When pressing middle mouse button to look around you can aim the nose cannon.

You can destroy the spawn tube generators in the bases with C4 to prevent the spawns from operating in outlying bases - great if you want to capture a base deep in enemy territory.
    When trying to resecure an outlying base - ensure you get an engineer to fix the spawn point generator as a priority to give yourself an easier time. The same goes for shield generators etc. These things take a serious kicking though.

Toward the back side of a Galaxy there is a blue strip. Press 'E' to use as an equipment terminal.

You can also 'Resupply' at a friendly equipment terminal to return to full life/armour

Hit "ALT" to free your mouse cursor (e.g. to scroll through chat) while still moving/strafing.

"ALT" + "F" will display your FPS (frames per second) in the bottom left corner.

"F11" will automatically put you into a squad (auto-join).

You can stock up on grenades. Buy a bunch at once and you'll be replenished upon spawn, if need be.

Implants (when equipped) give a benefit for 24 hours. Mighty useful to reduce vehicle spawn timers.

Hit "ESC" and click "Support" in the bottom left corner, to report any Bug you encounter.

Z is default squad chat, and NumPad 4 is local VoIP.

Pressing "v" brings up a quick voice command submenu to issue quick commands like "Help!" and "Follow me!"

If you buy claymores for you Engineer, they replace the ammo pack slot. But you apparently still have access to ammo packs, hit the key to bring out your place-able turret, then hit the B key.

Some vehicle weapon turrets have an enemy auto-target function. Hold down the Q key when targeting an enemy and select auto-target(?). Supposedly your turret will start moving on its own.

Comment

"Scythes are squishy enough that ramming them with a Reaver has a chance to kill it. Coincidentally, this is also how I learned there is a bonus for "Ramming" other vehicles to death."

My TGness currently prevents me from vehicle ramming, I guess it's something I need to work on if this game is designed to have it :)

Hitting alt + F also burns your special ability, take care when you decide to display your frame rate.

Don't hit a jump-pad whilst sprinting, it'll toss you right over your intended landing area to your death.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
        "Scythes are squishy enough that ramming them with a Reaver has a chance to kill it. Coincidentally, this is also how I learned there is a bonus for "Ramming" other vehicles to death."

My TGness currently prevents me from vehicle ramming, I guess it's something I need to work on if this game is designed to have it :)

Hitting alt + F also burns your special ability, take care when you decide to display your frame rate.

Don't hit a jump-pad whilst sprinting, it'll toss you right over your intended landing area to your death.
        Yeah its not something I am totally comfortable with, but damn scythes like to put the brakes on when I open fire! :)

Comment

The capture area for control points is pretty wide. Some buildings you can be on the roof.

Comment

Might be an obvious one, but in air vehicles, space is ascend and ctrl is descend. A lot of people seem to have difficulty with this if their aircraft gets wedged between platforms at the warpgate.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Any tips on keybinds for VOIP? I've been using the thumb button on my mouse that would be "forward" in a web browser as my TS key. Then I set my middle mouse button for squad talk. And the "back" thumb button for proximity talk. But I think both of these get in the way of a default setting. Like freelook in a aircraft, melee, and I think tertiary fire (which I'm guessing is the number 3 version of secondary fire). So it anyone has found a better setup, let me know. Hunting for the T key for melee isn't easy when trying to knife someone.

Comment

And proximity talk probably isn't important enough to make it a mouse button, so I might go with numpad 0 if there's not any left hand keys still available.

Comment

Don't stand on vehicle spawn pads.

Don't stand in front of vehicle spawn pads.

Don't stand anywhere near tanks or APCs, regardless of affiliation.

MAX units cannot capture points. Clear points of defenders and move on or defend against counter-attack.

A properly used MAX unit will dominate a close-quarters chokepoint.
                  Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

•Engineers when manning their turrets can press T to go to third person mode.

•In the Sunderer’s driver seat, on the center console is a light up switch. The lights go on when you take on more passengers and turn off when they leave.

•You can access bio labs from a very small hole in the very top of the roof.

•Kills caused by friendly fire count on your stat page the same way as a suicide or death from a hostile player.

•You can drop from the Galaxy and take no damage, no matter how high the Galaxy is.

•Pressing B in the prowler let you dig in - spiked wheels on the TR Prowler and decreased reload time giving it a faster salvo. There is no special ability for the VS Magrider or NC Vanguard.

• C4 - Right click to throw, hold left click to detonate.

•You can add members to your squad from inside your friends list by selecting the option for it in your friends submenu.

• Landing the Galaxy press B to deploy shields.

•You can shoot mines to detonate them. Not C4
                    •Equipment and vehicle terminals can be destroyed. They're worth 100 points if hostile.

•/squad invite <playername>
                    •/squad kick <playername>
                    •/squad leave
                    •/sq this sends a message to your squad
                    •/l or /local sends a message to the local area
                    •/yell sends a yell

•You can now cert and deploy IR beacons that your squad-mates can hot-drop on. Being SL doesn't seem to be a requirement, but they need to be purchased like grenades.

Comment

Here's a big one:
                      Many people overlook weapon add-ons unlocked with cert points because they're used to the way BF3 does things. i.e. a laser aim-dot is just a laser aim-dot and doesnt do anything special other than make you more noticeable and allow you to say "hey, check out my laser sight...". However, in planetside, the laser add-on reduces your cone of fire AND reduces the cone of fire reduction time (the amount of time it takes your crosshair to settle). So it really is a hugely beneficial add-on in terms of accuracy. Make sure you read the descriptions on the add-ons before just writing them off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post

•You can drop from the Galaxy and take no damage, no matter how high the Galaxy is
                        is this true? I had a few giys bail out of mine today and they died
                        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

As medic when using "F" to AOE heal, you can hit F again to turn it off. You don't have to burn the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDudeBT View Post
                            And proximity talk probably isn't important enough to make it a mouse button, so I might go with numpad 0 if there's not any left hand keys still available.
                            I use Z for squad chat, remapped V to Proximity and X to the contextual messages (that were once bound to V)

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                              Here's a big one:
                              Many people overlook weapon add-ons unlocked with cert points because they're used to the way BF3 does things. i.e. a laser aim-dot is just a laser aim-dot and doesnt do anything special other than make you more noticeable and allow you to say "hey, check out my laser sight...". However, in planetside, the laser add-on reduces your cone of fire AND reduces the cone of fire reduction time (the amount of time it takes your crosshair to settle). So it really is a hugely beneficial add-on in terms of accuracy. Make sure you read the descriptions on the add-ons before just writing them off.
                              I will need to test this lol. I was wondering if its the same for the vertical grip but it doesn't say what it does.. besides "its a vertical grip".

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X