Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS2 Server Names Release

Here ya go.

As mentioned earlier this week all Beta servers will be provided names after the next update. Below is a list of the servers that will be available:

US East:

Themisto
    Leda
    Himalia

US West:

Metis
    Adrastea
    Amalthea

EU:

Thyone
    Herse
    Chaldene

Re: PS2 Server Names Release

does this mean that as the list for east or west goes down, thats its old number?
    so themisto is east01 and leda is east02 ect. ect.?
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

No idea, and there will be no way to tell, in-game anyway, since all the characters will be wiped. I call on Jeepo to sado-randomly pick an East server.
      Last edited by WhiteFyre; 09-19-2012, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Himalia sound like the Himalayas!

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteFyre View Post
          No idea, and there will be no way to tell, in-game anyway, since all the characters will be wiped. I call on Jeepo to sado-randomly pick an East server.
          This.

Comment

Well because there will be no numbers, I foresee the populations being more evenly distributed.

Comment

I like the sound of "Themisto"
              |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                Well because there will be no numbers, I foresee the populations being more evenly distributed.
                Well, I think human tendency is to choose the first in the list, but this is pretty much true. Just call a server and faction to make it official, no need for a vote since no one has any stakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
                  Quoted for truth. From Smed:

Actually these for SURE will change to Planetside themed names. We just decided to switch stuff up a bit for the newer players to get away from everyone thinking 01 is the place to be
                  Glad to see the names will change. Wasn't really thrilled by them.

On a sidenote, does anyone know where they got these without Googling it?

I only recognize Metis, as in the Metis Indians/Native politically correct americans.
                  Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post

I only recognize Metis, as in the Metis Indians/Native politically correct americans.
                    Or Metis, as in the Mother of Athena, the greek Goddess of wisdom, courage, inspiration, civilization, law and justice, just warfare, mathematics, strength, strategy, the arts, crafts, and skill.

And no, I did not google this. All of the name seem to be of Greco-Roman origin.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post

I ashamed to say i didn't know, but read it on some forum: they are Jupiter's moons. I suppose there is an obvious reason not to pick Europa, by far my favourite Jovean moon.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lis...iter%27s_moons

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
                        I ashamed to say i didn't know, but read it on some forum: they are Jupiter's moons. I suppose there is an obvious reason not to pick Europa, by far my favourite Jovean moon.
                        Can't see any pattern to it. At first I thought they were choosing irregular moons only but the west servers are named after regular moons. The rest of them aren't even in the same groups.
                        Maybe they just wanted to use names that most people wouldn't have heard of. I'm glad they're going to give them different names that are more consistent with the Planetside lore, Jovian moons seemed a bit arbitrary.
                        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Yeah I think they are doing their best to prevent people from going to certain servers that are supposed to be more populated, have the devs playing etc.

Comment

Not terribly so. Araxis appears to be a moon to a gas giant and there is at least another 'sister' moon that is Earth like.

All considering I'm very curious how Araxis's orbit even works cause I think it has a luna esque moon in its own orbit... while in the orbit of a huge gas giant.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                              Not terribly so. Araxis appears to be a moon to a gas giant and there is at least another 'sister' moon that is Earth like.

All considering I'm very curious how Araxis's orbit even works cause I think it has a luna esque moon in its own orbit... while in the orbit of a huge gas giant.
                              ...Auraxis is locked at the L1 Lagrange point between the gas giant and the star, and has its own satellite orbiting within its Hill Sphere.

Where it gets more interesting is when we realize that Auraxis's satellite orbits in the same direction as Auraxis's spin, at exactly twice the angular velocity of Auraxis's spin. This is the only way we could observe the phenomenon of the 'sun' falling and appearing to morph into the Auraxian moon at twilight before returning across the sky. This would (of course) also produce huge eclipses at the break and close of the Auraxian day. No doubt the developers will be including these eclipses soon, but we can assume they are not a priority.

Furthermore, we can safely assume that Auraxis has little to no axial tilt, as the continents of Auraxis experience no change in seasons. A point on Auraxis will receive nearly the exact same duration of sunlight every day (exactly 1/2 day) but each point will receive its sunlight at a different angle. As Indar experiences the sun nearly perfectly overhead, we can see that Indar is very near the equator of Auraxis.

Esamir (being an icy continent) is likely much nearer one of the Auraxian poles, so we can make the safe assumption that when Esamir is released the sun will not climb near as high in the sky during the day, instead describing a low parabola above the horizon. Many areas in Esamir will be in perpetual shadow because of this, with the northward side of many buildings and terrain features seeing the light of day only through sunlight reflected off the abundant snow and ice. The low, parabolic trajectory of the sun across the sky prolongs the twilight hours on Esamir, meaning fewer hours of full darkness and full light.
                              Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X