Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts

We don't have a thoughts thread in this public forum so....

I think they should have an increasing spawn timer with each death similar to what PR has. I think it would reduce the constant zerg rush and promote the use of medics (which are almost useless with 5sec respawns and recharging shields). I think it would have to be tweaked with maybe a 45-60sec maximum, but I believe it is worth trying out. It isn't a outlandish idea; there are already pretty long timers on vehicles.

I have posted this (with more detail) in a couple threads on the PS2 Beta forums "discussing" similar things, but most threads on that forum just turn into mindless shouting matches. I posted with hopes that maybe a Sony person may see..
    Viking

Re: Thoughts

I think they are for a fact just allowing the game to be fun in the current state. There has been a lot of talk of logistic enforcement and a line of supply. Balance for attackers v defenders is a bit of a problem at some points, specifically those without a spawn generator, but currently the Galaxy balances out the attack/defend issues.

I think you can kind of see where the devs want to go in the future with the spawn delay on the squad beacon. That takes minutes to use again.

Medics are great in my opinion. Death is quick and brutal and if you have no spawn point near by it can be hell to get back. The medics don't even have their coolest weapon yet, the nanovirus applicator which fires projectiles that heal friendlies and 'infect' hostiles.

Comment

Originally posted by DaViking View Post

I think they should have an increasing spawn timer with each death similar to what PR has. I think it would reduce the constant zerg rush and promote the use of medics (which are almost useless with 5sec respawns and recharging shields). I think it would have to be tweaked with maybe a 45-60sec maximum, but I believe it is worth trying out. It isn't a outlandish idea; there are already pretty long timers on vehicles.

I have posted this (with more detail) in a couple threads on the PS2 Beta forums "discussing" similar things, but most threads on that forum just turn into mindless shouting matches. I posted with hopes that maybe a Sony person may see..
      Not outlandish at all in fact it was in the first one. Each death would increase spawn time by 5 seconds starting at 10 I believe and maxing out at 30.

Comment

This was in the original. Each death within a quick succession would extend the spawn by 5 seconds or so, to a max, iirc, of 30? 40? Also, spawning at towers and not at facilities, or without an attached bio-lab, was longer.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
        <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
        DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

That sounds pretty cool. That would add more "high value" bases to capture. Right now, I only see the bases that give blue resource as valuable. I may be missing something though.

Ytman- If there are no nearby spawn point is the key phrase there. Most of the time, I have found there to be at least 2 or more spawn locations (Galaxy, beacon, barracks, nearby outpost). Yes, I too think the medic itself is pretty good and I wouldn't change it. But there is no penalty to dying, and therefor no incentive to wait for a revive. Moving to the respawn mode that PS1 seemed to have had would solve this issue I think.

You are right that they are keeping it basic and enjoyable. This is an easy fix and probably not as vital in beta as some of the other balancing issues.
          Viking

Comment

Yeah. In the old days, the maps were arranged with a reconfigurable link between bases (The Lattice). You could only attempt to capture bases that were attached to other bases within the same chain of influence, so it eliminated someone, say, back-capping bases without a decent amount of work. Your influence started at the warpgate and then to the nearest base along the lattice.

An example map. Also an example of the Command Rank 3 whiteboard feature, and a platoon in action.

If you acquired a base along the lattice, different bases would do different things. A Technology Plant was needed to pull any Empire-specific vehicles and weapons (You couldn't pull a Vanguard without a tech plant, unless you did it at Sanctuary). A Bio-Lab gave you a bonus to health and faster respawn. An amp station would slowly charge up an ablative shield around vehicles in it's SOI. Interlink bases had advanced radar and would give radar on their SOI to every base linked. A Dropship Center turned on the vehicle rearm/repair modules on every linked base, and was the only place besides sanc where you could pull out a Galaxy, Lodestar, or Galaxy Gunship.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
            <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
            DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Problem with the death respawn is this game has to compete against CoD and BF3 in the new FPS market. Those players want action, don't want to sit around and wait looking at a spawn screen, and will happily leave. SoE needs to make a profit and there by has to come to a balance. They do this by keeping a spawn timer the same, but limiting locations. I'm fully ok with this. Likewise I was perfectly ok knowing if i died in PR i'd have to wait a minute, with a possible crappy spawn location. The mass populace isn't ok with that.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

I understand where they're coming from with this, but I would like to see them experiment with 10 or 15 second timers.

It may not seem like much (hopefully not enough to turn off many people) but I think it could make a noticeable difference.
                Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

The are definitely not competing with COD and a BF3 comparison exists but is incomplete.

Spawn timers currently exist in game and they do limit vehicles by resources available. Overall in its current form Teamwork matters in this game more than spawns. I think they know to limit spawn times and even if they don't they will limit spawn times where it matters, IE Beacons.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X