Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible SOP for Taking Bases (large or small)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Possible SOP for Taking Bases (large or small)

This is my first time attempting to write a SOP so don't be too harsh. The methods stated here are based off my own experiences, and things I've seen other cohesive PS2 groups attempt.
    The definition of a "Small" base is one that only need one point to cap, a "Large base" is one that has two or more points to cap.

For small bases: These bases are more common, and usually less defended.

1a) Before anything, send in a small recon group (1 or 2 players, kit isn't important), to take a peek at the base. The recon squad should pay attention to how many enemies are in and around the base, their kits and vehicles. Doing so will allow the SL/PL to assign a properly sized and equipped fireteam to take care of the job. *Credit to Mindkill for this tidbit

1. Eliminate initial enemy contact, if any.
    2. Destroy Spawn Generator.
    *Note: 1. and 2. Can be interchangeable Objectives.

3. Clear out the remainder of hostiles
    4. Cap point
    5. Once the base has fallen, repair any Spawn Points, Turrets and/or destroyed consoles.
    6. Make sure all squad/platoon members and healed and resupplied. Even if they don't inquire about it.
    7. Move on to next objective
    Optional: If you are concerned about the immediate recapture of the base, especially if the base is on the front line, wait a few minutes for any enemy reinforcements.

For Large Base: These bases are usually more heavily defended, proceed with extreme caution
    1. Most bases are equipped with shield generators, and spawn points. These should be primary objectives before moving on to cap points.
    2. Cap and hold control points
    3. Eliminate enemy presences, obtain air superiority.
    4. Once a base has been taken, repair any Spawn Points, Turrets and/or destroyed consoles.
    5. Make sure all squad/platoon members and healed and resupplied. Even if they don't inquire about it.
    6. Prepare against any immediate counter attack

It is important to repair any hard points, they will be necessary for defence.
    Just because there are other players around, doesn't mean they will repair them for you. Delegate an engineer(s), to fix these after a base has been taken. Repairs make for easy points.

Defence of Bases: To be continued..
    Last edited by Hawks_Lead; 09-19-2012, 08:29 PM.
    sigpic

Re: Possible SOP for Taking Bases (large or small)

Well done for your first time!

I would only add one thing, if you don't mind the constructive criticism. This would be for the single or 3 CP bases and would be contingent on already having a presence at a nearby base.

1a) Before anything, send in a small recon group (1 or 2 players, kit isn't important), to take a peek at the base. The recon squad should pay attention to how many enemies are in and around the base, their kits and vehicles. Doing so will allow the SL/PL to assign a properly sized and equipped fireteam to take care of the job.

Other than that, I think you've got a good, solid, SOP. Good work!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
      This would be for the single or 3 CP bases and would be contingent on already having a presence at a nearby base.
      I am not sure I quite understand your comment, can you clarify for me, please?

I will add your tip.
      Thanks for the criticism, I welcome anyone else to offer suggestions as well.
      sigpic

Comment

Really good writeup Hawks. Big things you hit on and I want to reattack is the importance of spawn/shield generators vs. Cap Points. I think the playerbase sees those random icon's/secondary objectives and has no idea what they are/their significance and just press to cap A, B, C, etc as a "CTF" mentality. We as a TG community need to take the opposite approach since those generators have a direct impact on the battle. Those have got to be priorities anytime a TG group hits a base.

With this plan, which could be expanded into how a platoon executes it (Sq A is designated with Spawn Generator and Points A/B, Sq B is designated with shield gen and Points C/D, or some variant) it would be comical in how fast a base would get caped.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

I find it's a bit of a balancing act with the generators - if you don't defend them after you destroy them the enemy will repair them, but you need as many members as you can to storm the main rooms after they go down.

If you pull all your members with you, you had better make sure you all get in quick - if the shield is repaired mid-attack it could divide your attacking force on either side of the shield.
          Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by Hawks_Lead View Post
            I am not sure I quite understand your comment, can you clarify for me, please?
            I guess I should have given the whole story of why I suggested the recon FT and using this tactic on the 1 or 3 cap bases. So, here goes.

A couple of nights ago, we had a platoon consisting of two 12 man squads made up mostly of TG members. One squad was fighting in the north against a very aggressive Terran force, attempting to deter the them from advancing into NC controlled territory. While the squad I was in was in the south central portion of the map, holding the Vanu from advancing past the Peris Amp station (Epic holding action!). As prime time was winding down and players started leaving, the platoon fell apart and we ended up with one 12 man squad with Drona leading. At this point, we were losing control of the Peris East Barracks and Drona sent me and another squadmate to recon Regent Rock Garrison (RRG). We found only a couple enemies defending the 3 CP base and reported this to the SL. The rest of the squad then fell back, in an organized manner, and assaulted RRG. The battle was over quickly, mainly because we followed your SOP, to the letter, and we had an exceptional amount of comms and teamwork.

Once we held RRG, Drona decided to expand our defensive front. He sent Rex (I think that's who was with me) and I to recon the Xeno Tech Labs (XTL). We found a handful of Vanu infantry, supported by a MAX and a Lightning guarding the area. After reporting this to the SL, he deployed a HA squad mate along with our own Lightning. Needless to say, because of the recon action, we were able to bring the appropriate amount of force against the defenders, while not allowing them time to call for reinforcements. Also, if I remember correctly, we consistently sent 1 or 2 squad mates to disable the spawn generator, on every assault, while the bulk of the squad attacked the CP.

Now, I think one of the biggest reasons for our successes was because of holding a base near where we were planning to assault. This kept us from flying in the highly visible Galaxy, that alerts everyone in the area that an assault (or reinforcements) are inbound. Staying on the ground allowed us to sneak in, catch the defenders completely off guard, and to capture the base without much fuss. Will this work on a heavily defended base? Probably not, but with the recon group checking out things beforehand, you keep from committing the squad to a hopeless battle and having your squadmates scattered to the four winds.

The reason I didn't include 5 CP bases is that they are just too big and generally too well defended for one squad to take on.

Hope that cleared it up!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks MK, now I understand.
              sigpic

Comment

As for the defense of a blown generator, the squad leader could leave a max suit on it with an engineer if you have enough people to spare.
                Also, for taking out generators, a couple clips of a sniper rifle can take a generator out, I took one out from one of the towers through a door, I wanna try and hit it from one of the surrounding cliffs :p could be a tactic in case its super guarded, I doubt the enemy will notice will the sniper shots. Once it blows, you could rush it while there in confusion to secure it.
                |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

According to Higby, Generators will no longer be able to be destroyed by small arms fire.
                  sigpic

Comment

According to Higby, Generators will no longer be able to be destroyed by small arms fire.
                    define smalls arms :p we talking bout pistols? or assault rifles and Sniper rifles
                    whenever I think of small arms I think pistols but that may just be me :)
                    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Simply put, you can only destroy it with, frags, Rockets, C4, and other types of explosives.
                      sigpic

Comment

Simply put, you can only destroy it with, frags, Rockets, C4, and other types of explosives.
                        I see, that's good
                        |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Well for defending the Gens either it be to distroy or prevent a repair, some Prox mines (don't know what there called in this game) would def fix that.

Comment

If can't be destroyed by small arms, seems like Engy has a place in the squad. Still need Ammo/C4

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Can the engi pack replenish C4?

Seems like it might be HA rockets doing most of the taking out if you don't want to wait for a hack.
                              Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X