State of Comms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of Comms

The state of the in-game VOIP communications tonight (12:30-1:30 pm, EST) was out of control chaos.

Platoon level comms were used for all manner of non-command level comms.

We need to work on cleaning up group comms. I know this game is new to us, but comm SOPs are not.

If it is not relevant to me, I do not want to hear you.

This principle should apply at all levels.
    sigpic

Re: State of Comms

Yes and no. The platoon was largely being used by only SLs. It was one person, Thehacks, who was using it constantly.

Beyond this I was told that we needed to treat the platoon as a 'squad' in PR so I utilized the squads as fireteams normally would.

Comment

I really think that using the platoon as a squad is poor sighted. Soon enough we'll have so many people online that we won't be able to put 4-6 guys in a squad and call it "two squads". Each squad should be near full before the next one is created. Of course there are many times when this isn't particularly necessary. Leading by making a platoon with two small squads (less than six) and treating each squad as a fireteam I feel is bad for cohesiveness of the unit. When this is practiced, I've noticed that the comms become a cluster and often times you can't share information as well as you could if you were all one squad. I know someone is going to take this the wrong way, but I can never get a word to anyone outside of game other than YT or Buflak in TS it seems.
      |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
        Yes and no. The platoon was largely being used by only SLs. It was one person, Thehacks, who was using it constantly.

Beyond this I was told that we needed to treat the platoon as a 'squad' in PR so I utilized the squads as fireteams normally would.
        Really, well that explains some things lol. In you're situation last night Ytman you we're the acting platoon leader. It was you're show, you run it how you see it.

Other things, for me personally in game voip seemed to have taken a huge quality dump over previous patches in game. I

Comment

Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
          I really think that using the platoon as a squad is poor sighted. Soon enough we'll have so many people online that we won't be able to put 4-6 guys in a squad and call it "two squads". Each squad should be near full before the next one is created. Of course there are many times when this isn't particularly necessary. Leading by making a platoon with two small squads (less than six) and treating each squad as a fireteam I feel is bad for cohesiveness of the unit. When this is practiced, I've noticed that the comms become a cluster and often times you can't share information as well as you could if you were all one squad. I know someone is going to take this the wrong way, but I can never get a word to anyone outside of game other than YT or Buflak in TS it seems.
          Cluster comms are fixed by SOP's, training and practice. It is easy to identify individual squad members and ask them to adjust their comms behavior if they are disruptive or ineffective. Folks will rise to the level of your expectations but you have to set them and communicate them to your FT/squad/platoon.

Another issue is the use of the TS channel for casual chit chats. It's pretty disruptive and we shouldn't have to ask you not to do it. Set up a whisper to your friend and use that.

Finally, the use of profanity on TS and by TG tagged folks in game is at an unacceptable level IMO. Pretty sure that no profanity is a meta rule here at TG.

Comment

First off, if we are going to open up our squads up to recruitment, we're gonna either have to get used to lousy comms discipline, or gonna have to let people know every time new members join the platoon. An SOP is great and all, but it's pretty much preaching to the choir.

Second, it's kind of situational also. Squads in separate areas in support of one another is one thing. But if the platoon is working in the same AO at the time, there is plenty of intel situations that the platoon should hear immediately, such as a control point flashing, a Lib overhead about to start a bombing run, or an infantry sighting when mixed squads members are present. Only speaking to ones squad members with the SL having to just repeat the same thing to the platoon (if he does it at all) is detremental to the team.

Also, don't forget, we are all guilty of accidentally hitting the wrong PTT button from time to time, ecspecially teamspeak. Keep in mind with up to 48 peeps with comms, you have the potential for a lot of those accidents. While comm chatter can get annoying, I'd rather have too much info, than not enough due to people being shy about speaking up because we told them to shut-up a few minutes ago.

Comment

Squad leaders/platoon leaders should be using command chat. Platoon chat should only be used in special situations. Squad should be mainly squad leader talking and grunts should be using proximity all the time just about.

Comment

Originally posted by PricelineNegotiator View Post
                I really think that using the platoon as a squad is poor sighted. Soon enough we'll have so many people online that we won't be able to put 4-6 guys in a squad and call it "two squads". Each squad should be near full before the next one is created.
                I disagree for the fact that we want to recruit. I'd rather two TG squads with six core members and a rotating roster of potential recruits then one squad. This also allows for those who want to SL to SL and learn.

Last night we went through fits and bursts of population in our squads by the time you got on we were comparatively small but our max was 24 people.

I think a very standard SOP

PL/SLs-Platoon Level
                All Else-Squad Level/Proximity

Maybe when we get a good core of leaders we can have a simple Leader channel in TS?

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                  I disagree for the fact that we want to recruit. I'd rather two TG squads with six core members and a rotating roster of potential recruits then one squad. This also allows for those who want to SL to SL and learn.

Last night we went through fits and bursts of population in our squads by the time you got on we were comparatively small but our max was 24 people.

I think a very standard SOP

PL/SLs-Platoon Level
                  All Else-Squad Level/Proximity

Maybe when we get a good core of leaders we can have a simple Leader channel in TS?
                  Agree.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Drona View Post

Finally, the use of profanity on TS and by TG tagged folks in game is at an unacceptable level IMO. Pretty sure that no profanity is a meta rule here at TG.
                    I'd like to quote this for emphasis. I'll be the first to admit to a sailors mouth but its not really becoming of myself or anyone else at TG, so please watch your mouths people.

Comment

Not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to point out some things that may be getting overlooked. I like a good, organized, structured experience as much as anyone else, and I have several-hundred hours in ArmA to prove it. Although this is a large-scale MMO with much tactical potential, at it's heart it's a faced-paced, twitchy FPS consisting of many localized smaller battles.

If the idea is less comm chatter, then a squadie saying something in squad chat and then having the SL repeat the same exact thing in platoon chat a precious few seconds later isn't less comm chatter, it's more. This is of course provided that what is being relayed needs to be platoon wide to begin with.

When we include the addition of a command channel or TS for leaders, it has the possibility of getting even worse. A squadie may see something across the way that another squad may need to hear. He says it in squad voip, the SL relays it to the command channel, and the other SL relays it to his squad. In those 10 seconds or so, a gen can be destroyed, a control point flipped, or an unaware squad/fireteam can get wiped out. That's best case scenario too. If someone in the comm chain is busy in a firefight, grabbing a drink, or wiping their kid's nose...well you get the idea.

I'm not saying an SOP shouldn't be in order and comms should be open and free, I'm just hoping that said SOP will allow for certain situations to dictate the whens, wheres, whys and hows.

Comment

Agreeing with Harlequin, this also just isn't PR, ArmA or any other the others that are slow enough for these to occur. Some things have to break chain of command, panic can lead to hitting the wrong button, there's a lot of possibilities.

Comment

Zedic's Military Radio Procedure Adaptation. - http://www.tacticalgamer.com/pr-bf2/...daptation.html
                          Viking

Comment

The comms during the event today were a huge improvement over what it's been like recently. Johnflenaly did not form a platoon (so no platoon voip spam) but had several individual squads that worked closely together. The SL's were in the TS command channel for their comms. Worked great. Very little cross talk on TS and none in game (other than some crappy music on an open proximity mic). Another benefit is that all the TG squads showed up in the squad listing. If you go platoon, all you see is one squad, if what I've been told is correct.

Comment

So no need to use Platoons?

I apologize if I was comms heavy last night. I was using what was available in game as direct was down.

I also firmly believe that if we do not play with the core concept that a Platoon is the basic Strategic Unit of Planet Side we WILL be at a disadvantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmGtzPZ0Zqs

I've said in PR time and again that the scale of battle in PR had Squads effectively taking the role of Platoons. In Planet Side, against good organized outfits of hundreds of players, a squad is at best only an tactical element.

This game may be arcadey but that does not mean that a squad will be able to toe to toe with a platoon.
                              Last edited by Ytman; 09-22-2012, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X