Brainstorm- The Platoon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainstorm- The Platoon

It is my firm belief that the smallest strategic unit of importance in PlanetSide2 is the Platoon. Even with 12 players the individual squad is too small on a battlefield with at the possibility of 600 players on your team alone. In my two weeks of time I've seen standard players forming squads, willing to join into platoons, willing to take orders, and I've seen organization of a level not seen in even Project Reality.

With this all in mind I'm working on the concepts of how to form platoons, how to base them, how to manage them and more.

In my experience I've been able to form Platoons with only a handful of TGers and a vast majority of 'smurfs'. I've also witnessed an organized Multi-Platoon group that was only really structured around a handful of people from an Outfit (NC Spec-ops) and filled in by casuals. This alone has proven to me that there is a strong desire of the PlanetSide2 community to be organized. Lets face it you don't play PlanetSide2 like its Quake.

This also brings me to another point, for as arcadey as the game is (around BF1942 Levels of Arcade), the game rewards strategy exponentially over tactics and skill. We don't need the best shooters if we have the best strategy. In this vein I want to see what TG can do in PS2. Hopefully once we tackle the Platoon level operation we can move on to the Company level Operation and Combined Arms*.

*I theorize that two dedicated (mechanized*) infantry platoons supported by a combined Air/Ground platoon is the premier 'company' capable of vast feats.
    ====

Key Components to the TG Platoon
    #1 Leadership
    -People follow people and people want to be a part of something large. All it takes is one TG Squad Leader to take command of a Platoon if the other Squad Leaders deffer power. Obviously TG squad leaders would be wanted and preferred as its merely a question of knowing who you are working with.

#2 Core
    -A strong core of a few TGers in each squad that lead by example is also important.

#3 Objective/Mission/Focus
    -No focus is lethal as people want to feel useful and as if they are accomplishing something and being a part of something.

Re: Brainstorm- The Platoon

Your observations are indeed correct.

A platoon doesn't need to be full of TGers to be effective. PS1 and now PS2 both had communities that were full of people willing to work together because that's how things got accomplished. This, I think, is where networking really comes into play, and getting our name out there so like-minded individuals can join up for teamwork-oriented gameplay.

PS2 isn't nearly about "tactics" as it is about "strategy", and that's an important distinction TGers seeking leadership roles in PS2 are going to have to make and transition into -- especially those coming from ArmA and BF3 where tactics are just as important, or more important than strategy. If you're wanting some help organising a company-level standard for loadouts, I'd be happy to throw some ideas in.

Comment

Valid points and its lessons we seem to relearn with each new title. I've lead "public" squads with a core group of TG in every title here sense I started with 2142. With the way PS2 is setup its been much easier to accomplish over other games. In a squad of 12 I generally prefer to have a group of four TGers, the SL and three others. Then open the squad to the Public. This is also an effective tool for recruitment as it shows the public how we do things, be for commuting to the group. I can say with complete faith that anyone that joined TG from a battlefield title was "hooked" so to speak in the same exact way.

Comment

I'd like to re-emphasize focus. Too many times I've heard "Alpha squad is holding the TR in the north, we're going to push against the Vanu. NO. Nonononono. A squad is far too small a unit to be deploying indepandantly. I would like to see us use a rule of thumb for our platoons where we do not permit our squads to be more than one region away from the rest of the squads in the platoon.

With armor (and of course air) this will warrant some relaxing, but as populations increase across the servers it will force us to concentrate on smaller and smaller areas in order to achieve gains with a similar sized force.
        Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I envision the following organization:
          1x Platoon Leader (think CO in BF2/PR)
          4x Squad Leaders (The platoon leader would probably be better off delegating direct control of 'his' squad to a 2iC)
          3 minimum "Core" TG players per squad who help lead by example and are developed according to their assigned squad.

*ALWAYS enforce locality and proximity regulations. Wait at NC main if you have to though the "FACILITIES" offer everything you'd need to stage from as do the "TOWER POINTS".

I envision the following basic platoons:
          • Mobile/Mechanized Infantry Platoon
            Basic Infantry Platoon utilized for both offensive and defensive ops. Three dedicated infantry squads and one dedicated armor squad with a focus on the Sunderer, Lightning, and maybe a few Vanguards (need to be faster though). I'd suggest two Infantry Squads being "HEAVY"(ie primarily HA,ENG,M,AI-MAX) and one being "LIGHT" (ie primarily LA,INFIL,M) but thats just a generalization.

• Air Calvary Combined Platoon
            Basic Air Assault Platoon utilized for ultra quick response over terrain and also Air Supremacy. Two Infantry Squads, One Air Support Squad (Liberators and Galaxies), One Air Superiority Squad (Reavers)

• Heavy Armored Assault Platoon
            Dedicated Armored Platoon with a focus on properly manned Vanguards, Lightnings, and Support Sunderers (w/ Anti-Inf weapons). One squad of Heavy Support Infantry and three squads of Mixed Armor.

Comment

Before we move on to coy / coy+ operations, I'd like to see us work within the platoon bounds.

We've rarely managed 4 full squads in my experience, but I'd like to see a full 48-member TG platoon.

In order to be self-sufficient without relying on outside members, would require a similar breakdown to the company Ytman has posted above, but with squad-level divisions.

Squad 1: Mechanized Infantry
            1 AMS Sunderer driver + 11 Infantry

Squad 2: Mechanized Infantry

Squad 3: Armored Support
            2 Resupply Sunderers
            4-6 Vanguard
            2-6 Lightning/SkyGuard

Squad 4: Air Support
            2-3 Liberators
            4-6 Reavers

This should have a sufficient infantry population (22) to overwhelm small points considering that they have support of an armor and air squad. Priority would be to fill the mech. infantry squads, followed by the vehicle squads to ensure we have enough infantry to take and hold points against opposition.

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Strait Raider is right, so far we rarely manage a full platoon and even in those cases its with a crap ton of "randoms". What we seem to be able to easily run every night of the week is about a squad and 1/2, So I would start there.

So the "main" squad would be your 12 man infantry squad backed up by the S-AMS "Sunderer AMS".

Squad two would start with minimum 2 members and would start the basis of the Armor column. Both members would pull Vanguards. The trick here is during transport, at least two infantrymen would serve as secondary gunners in the tanks. This would give the platoon overall 4 M20 Basilisks for close AA.

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                Before we move on to coy / coy+ operations, I'd like to see us work within the platoon bounds.

We've rarely managed 4 full squads in my experience, but I'd like to see a full 48-member TG platoon.

In order to be self-sufficient without relying on outside members, would require a similar breakdown to the company Ytman has posted above, but with squad-level divisions.

Squad 1: Mechanized Infantry

Squad 2: Mechanized Infantry

Squad 3: Armored Support
                2 Resupply Sunderers
                4-6 Vanguard
                2-6 Lightning/SkyGuard

2-3 Liberators
                4-6 Reavers

This should have a sufficient infantry population (22) to overwhelm small points considering that they have support of an armor and air squad. Priority would be to fill the mech. infantry squads, followed by the vehicle squads to ensure we have enough infantry to take and hold points against opposition.
                Nice layout, but I have one recommendation:

1 Galaxy mothership with pilot+gunner+gunner to defend the liberators/reavers from air threats
                x Liberators
                x Reavers

I did this with a full squad with viking the other day. Worked great. we were never really attacked in the air because the galaxy was able to scare off all smart fighters. THe other ones died. You have the galaxy shooting at the enemy at all sides with one or two guns. Then you have the closeby liberators using their front and tailgun as needed. Then you have a few reavers that can kill quite a few off if they try to get away hurt. One big weakness: enemy AA, but then that goes for all airvehicles. I am always having a galaxy in a liberator squad now. I would definitely prefer a galaxy protecting me than a reaver. If you have a full squad as in the layout I re-did, the enemy is going to have to be pretty damn strong in numbers and wits to kill your group. THe liberator gain much more staying power. And big momma galaxies are awesome!

*I forgot to add the whole air squad keeps formation; stay around the galaxy and lure attackers into the trap by retreating to big momma when you are in danger. Very fun way to play air imo.

Comment

I don't know, AL.

The Gal might be an attractive option now since very few players have their AA missiles / AG rockets unlocked yet, but once our air support (presumably mainly the 73rd) has all their reaver goodies, wouldn't you rather have 3 reavers than 1 half-manned galaxy? If you ran all the guns manned on the Galaxy it would be a more potent weapon, but would you still balance that against 5 reavers?

The big question I have with air support is whether to run Liberators with 2 players or 3 players. Unless you have simultaneous ground and air targets, a 2-manned Lib can be almost as effective as a 3-manned lib, while the increased number of Libs you can field gives you greater bombardment power and divides the enemy's attention between more targets.

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post

The big question I have with air support is whether to run Liberators with 2 players or 3 players. Unless you have simultaneous ground and air targets, a 2-manned Lib can be almost as effective as a 3-manned lib, while the increased number of Libs you can field gives you greater bombardment power and divides the enemy's attention between more targets.
                    In my perspective, a lib should have reaver support anyway so a 2 manned lib is fine. PLUS, the 2nd guy can switch between the back gun and the bomber easily
                    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

You guys should try the galaxy as AA tactic. I think you are underestimating it's effectiveness. I feel much safer near a manned gal, than near one reaver.

If a reaver sees a fighter coming for you and they start dogfighting, they can still shoot you while dogfighting, or another fighter may come when the reaver(s) have pulled away to engage threats. Whereas the galaxy can just hold position, and you can find it when it's needed. In theory reavers should be as good or better, but in practice I don't think so.

Also, what if the enemy brings a gal? Not impossible to kill with reavers and libs, but you will probably lose someone. If you also have a gal though, you have a much better shot. THe gal is like a meatshield too.

Viking plz tell us your poinion on this!

*edit* Poinion = poi made of onion :D
                      Last edited by BigGaayAl; 09-28-2012, 12:41 AM.

Comment

The galaxy AA gunship worked quite well. It has so much armor that hardly anything can kill it right now. With two Galaxy gunners and a Lib tail gunner, you have three guns focus firing on a target.

The galaxy is nice because it has full 360 field of fire. Pilot skill in a dogfight doesn't matter as much as it would with Reavers. Both ways work. Using the Galaxy leans towards a more defensive stance; Reavers towards a more offensive stance.
                        Viking

Comment

Originally posted by DaViking View Post
                          The galaxy AA gunship worked quite well. It has so much armor that hardly anything can kill it right now.
                          Against air threats, sure, but 1-2 skyguards i've noticed can cut through an un-uparmored gal like butter.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                          <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                          DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

If there are Skyguards in the area, you wouldn't have Liberators to defend.
                            Viking

Comment

Originally posted by Bisclaveret View Post
                              Against air threats, sure, but 1-2 skyguards i've noticed can cut through an un-uparmored gal like butter.
                              1-2 skyguards can cut trough anything that flies. So the counter to skyguards, is a heavy assault or a vanguard. Not anything that flies. The us forces never just attack a country with the airforce. They always make sure to take out the enemy anti air installations before doing anything else. If they can't take out the AA, they don't attack, because the ainti-air is just > than a jet. Same with the skyguard. Problem is, I see only one possible way of taking out a skyguard, and that is with the liberator equipped with the Anti tank version of the zephyr, and I haven't tested that weapon.

My point is that an air-based tactic should not be evaluated by seeing how well it does against a skyguard, because those should be avoided as they are natural counters. Since the natural counter to a weak ground vehicle is: any ground force basically, that means the skyguard is mostly limited in its movement to staying behind the frontline. That is it's main weakness.

If the enemy is using a lot of anti-air and effectively keeping you back from the fight, that means they are less effective on the ground. Supposing you are in a platoon, this can tip things in favor of the squads on the ground.

In general I think many players are in a different mindset than me when it comes to air. I think the air should rarely be ahead of the ground forces, while many people seem to want to use it to attack. I see air being more effective in a supporting role, staying behind/above friendly forces, only getting ahead of them to attack specific targets that are requested by ground forces when they really need help or when there are some easy targets (e.g. a squad in the middle of open ground).

/theorycrafting

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X