Squad Lead Transitions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Lead Transitions

First off, thanks to all the excellent squad leads that have stepped up during the beta. Whether we are taking points or being beaten back, good leadership makes this game a blast.

Over the last week or so of play I have noticed that when we have a squad leader that leaves game without a clear exchange in leadership the squad fizzles very quickly.

There have been other times when I've joined the TacticalGamer names squad to find that there is no communication going on, which I suspect, is the result of a similar situation to the above.

I realize the obvious answer is to fill the void when I see it but I also think that it may help to let the squad know that the torch has been passed.

Re: Squad Lead Transitions

Originally posted by Th4n4t05 View Post
    First off, thanks to all the excellent squad leads that have stepped up during the beta. Whether we are taking points or being beaten back, good leadership makes this game a blast.

Over the last week or so of play I have noticed that when we have a squad leader that leaves game without a clear exchange in leadership the squad fizzles very quickly.

There have been other times when I've joined the TacticalGamer names squad to find that there is no communication going on, which I suspect, is the result of a similar situation to the above.

I realize the obvious answer is to fill the void when I see it but I also think that it may help to let the squad know that the torch has been passed.
    The counter to this is 9 times out of 10 when I say I'm leaving and does anyone want squadlead, I get the wall of silence.

Comment

I'm usually leading the squad/platoon at nights and I have noticed that no one really steps up when I go to bed.
      |TG-Irr|PricelineNegotiator

Seaman

Comment

Its just a lack of numbers right now. We'll get that leadership core.

Comment

I starting to think if no one steps up to take over the squad/platoon, just lock it, then kick all. We can't have this imo. You don't have to be full on squadleading all the time, you can take a relaxed approach. Another thing to do is you can change the name of the squad, disconnect it from platoon etc.

I feel TG guys should be willing to step up, or face not being in a squad, or having to make a new one. Sometimes a good pubbie wants to take over, that is also good. BUt perhaps then the squadname should lose the TG part.

Comment

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
            The counter to this is 9 times out of 10 when I say I'm leaving and does anyone want squadlead, I get the wall of silence.
            I agree with Al. If I am stepping down as SL and no one will step up in my place, I kick all squad members until the squad is disbanded.

We can't have squads with no leadership operating under the TG banner, leadership is the core of TG.
            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

I'll be stepping up soon to do some SL'ing. I'd just like to learn more about the game and how everything works before I do any serious leading.

Something that might help players like me is, getting our current batch of SL's to start a thread with basic tactics, what bases should be priority targets, etc. Start with educating us instead of attempting to guilt us into it.

sigpic

Comment

Okay I'll do that instead of theory crafting.

What do you want to know?

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                  Okay I'll do that instead of theory crafting.

What do you want to know?
                  What your theory crafting has come up with might be a good place to start...

sigpic

Comment

Normally I would not hesitate to step up, but the complexity of the game is a tad intimidating. I suspect many potential SLs are still finding their feet in the game.

Having said that, I will make more of an effort to step up.

I now have a clearer idea of some basic issues around strategy and am getting a finely tuned sense of when it its time to 'advance to the rear'!

What I am lacking is knowledge of specific targets at various base types, jump gate locations, spawn locations, the whole, surround the spawn point thing at the end of capturing a base and so forth.

Mind you, I know that others know this stuff, and my usual remedy for my own ignorance is to keep calling on my squad for advice.
                    sigpic

Comment

I just wanted to learn how to Follow before learning how to lead is all. I don't want to lead a group I don't really know. But i guess this game you need to do that.

Comment

I plan to make a summary of all technical aspects of squadleading/platoon leading, but things are changing too much still.

Comment

I guess I'll impart my philosophy on squad leading. First I have no major plan or even an idea of what to do 90% of the time. Even during our last event I am very much the winging it/flying by the seat of your pants sl. I look at the map see if we are losing or gaining terittory and try and assist in the area that lools like it needs the most help. On a more tacticle level its really not any harder. See what needs doing and take care of it. If your points being attacked defend, if not when in doubt advance. past that be flexible, listen to your squad and react appropriately to the situation. Things like airpower and tanks are priority, but remembed it take boots on the ground to take the point. For this reason i'm very much an infantry guy, everything else is to support the infantry taking the objective. At the end of the day my personal priority as an sl or Pl is to make sure the guys under me are having a good time.

Comment

Another aspect to consider is how many people are actively persuing squadleading. Like in Planetside 1, a squad leader/platoon leader is only going to be as good as the one who works at it. Are you giving leading duties to a person who hasn't spent cert points to put waypoints on the map? No Command Channel comms? No way of dropping markers? No way of dropping spawn beacons? Then perhaps that person would be less suited to SLing as a whole, from a game mechanics standpoint.

In PS1 you had seperate levels, a Battlerank (what our levels are in this game) and a Command Rank, which only gained EXP from leading squads and having the squads take objectives. Someone at CR 0 was effectively useless in larger operations. A CR of 1 was required to put waypoints for your squad. A seperate command chat, as well as /sitrep reporting command (filed everything you typed 'up the chain' to higher-ranking persons) at CR2.

CR3 gave access to a whiteboard drawing feature for your squad/platoon on the map, and gave the SL a small-radius EMP blast to take out mines, boomers (c4 now..) motion sensors, and vehicle weapons if they also had the Command Uplink Device wielded. You could change the squad EXP waypoint (a small beacon that followed you and gave out bonuses to EXP to actions done in 100 meters vicinity) to follow someone else besides you, for fireteam ops, etc.

CR4 gave you a wider EMP, and the orbital strike ability, a far-ranging /command chat, the ability to have a short duration tactical scan to reveal all enemies near you on your map.

CR5 gave commanders a 'global' chat that could be used to help direct the zerg, speak to individual continents, and reached *everyone* of your faction on the server. Command chat reached everyone on the continent for directing squads/platoons. /sitrep filtered directly to you. 2 EXP waypoints. All CR5s could commmunicate to all other CR5s. Bigger EMP, orbital strike, reveal enemies, and reveal friendlies options.

As you got higher in CR, the more 'useful' you were to the team effort, strategically. You had a small tactical nuke capability. You earned people more EXP. You were more situationally aware to help direct your squad or platoon. You could direct people better. But these were only available to those people who actually devoted themselves to effective squadleading.

Some of these options are available in-game, but at a high cert-point cost, which means you're going to have to decide if you want to be more useful at squadleading and tactics, or get a new gun, or be more effective at your tanking/flying. While it's true that 'anyone can SL', only certain members of the public will give your squad advantages and be more effective at it.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                            <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                            DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

I'm effectively like John right now. I want to keep things organized but if you spend too much planning you wont be doing. Effectively big ops should be pre-planned and should have a structured and reliable organization but common play is free-flowing.

I personally like to pick a 'BASE' point, I prefer Rashnu or Crimson Bluff, and move according from that.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X