Suggestion for Planetside

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for Planetside

If you could improve or change anything what would it be. Would like to get some discussion going back and forth and present it to SOE later. A couple of rules. First this is about changing the game, things like obvious bugs need not be discussed. Second provide suggestions, do not post "this sucks fix it". Thats a useless statement and a waste of everyone's time.

Re: Suggestion for Planetside

In terms of player movement I'd like to be able to go prone, have separate head movement (looking left & right whilst running forward) and for strafe speed to scale with movement speed.

As for vehicles one of my pet hates is the cop out of the whole "Nanite Systems" lore.... I really would love if each faction had unique vehicle models across the board. Even if all 3 factions had a second tank like the lightning with identical stats but were a completely different models... it just seems cheap and lazy to have this Nanite lore written in. I believe recently when asked about what new vehicles would be coming one of the devs said there would be new vehicles but they will be NS vehicles... that made me sad.
    It matters not what letters or numbers come before my name, I'll always be 1stMIP.

sigpic

"It is all about being a teamplayer. Give a kitchen sink to a teamplayer and he'll find a way to support his squad with it."
    - John_CANavar (Marshall & Founder of the 1st Mechanized Infantry Platoon)

Comment

Given the amount of feedback on the official forums, I doubt that we will see any change come from this... BUT, I will go ahead and offer my 2 cents.

World design: Increased verticality!!! Taller mountains mostly. I was very hopeful that on Esamir there would be towering artic peaks with outposts on top that limit access by vehicle, maybe one road that snakes up the mountain, thus making air assault a more viable option. More outposts accessible by air only. Large caverns! More vegetation! I would love to see an actual forest.

Unique bases: This ties into world design a lot, but so many of the bases feel copy+paste. Even from continent from continent. I would love to see UNIQUE interiors. For instance, vanu archives. Why not make the base feel like it has something to do with the name? It would so cool to fight in an outpost that looks like some sort of vanu temple. There are so many outposts that have names implying unique aspects to them... but there really arent any. One exception would be defunct solar hub. The interiors are the same bland mix, but the exterior is really well done. It just feels eerie out there, as it should. It actually LOOKS like a long abandoned solar hub. There are a couple other exceptions, but that is the main one.

Base design: More extensive interior layouts. Doors that open and close. Underground bases!

Overall, with mapping in general, I feel like it has SO much potential. This game is set on a different planet, they could do SO much crazy awesome stuff! But aside from the auraxium spikes on Esamir and the big trees on Indar, there isnt really much to suggest this is anywhere but earth. It would be awesome to have continents with unique shapes instead of just squares.

Gameplay: The main thing I can think of at this moment would be changing vehicles to where they cant be repaired within 15 seconds of taking damage, thus removing the annoying moments when you should be dominating another tank but it has an engineer insta-repairing it.
      May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

I'd suggest a focused assortment of 'subjects'

Basic Infantry Combat
        Basic Vehicles
        Ground Vehicles
        Air Vehicles
        Base Capture/Defense
        Meta-Game/Certs

I have a couple main suggestions:

Base Assault/Defense
        • Large 'HEX Territories'

I feel that Indar's hexes are by and large too small at points. This leads to a quickly changing front line that effectively hinders large scale 'stacks' as many smaller groups can attack multiple points and push the front lines in many ways. Esamir offers a nice in between in my opinion but at times some of those territories are far too large for the small condensed bases. To that effect I would like a concept of territories having two or
          more main Control Points or bases within. For influence or resources to be given both bases must be held by one team.
        • Vehicle Generators

Being ran over by friendly spawning vehicles needs to be fixed. The simplest solution would be to have a separate building where vehicles spawn with a shield protection much like Indar's "Stronghold" Territory. More interestingly enough would be to see these bases have a generator that would serve as a secondary objective. Knocking it out would break the power of all terminal spawns.
        • New Spawn Mechanics

I have every hope that the game will see slightly slower spawn mechanics introduced closer to release. I would like to see the Sunderer AMS (as well as the Galaxy's) have an upgrade path of "Squad" to "Platoon" to "Team" spawning. Or as another suggestion have the Sunderer AMS level up with a spawn range (If you died within 100m, 150m, 200m, 250m, 300m, 500m).

I would love to see spawn buildings at ALL points requiring to be hacked or else-wise disabled.

Meta-Game/Certs
        • Look at improving Certs

Certs for many things merely unlock an upgrade, I'd rather see their be many different strength levels to upgrades. Front armor would have grade levels I-II-III and would 'exponentially' buff. Currently the first level of most certs offer the best reward to cost with the r2c drastically decreasing at later upgrades.
        • Outfit Meta-Gaming

Would be cool for Outfits to track their best friends and worst enemies. Also would be cool to see Outfits reward success even if its inconsequential stuff like 'home Barracks' or something spectacular like a 'base' or a 'titanic airship' ;D

Comment

As someone who trawls the PS2 forums fairly regularly I've got to tell you that the devs have heard a lot of this already. They've addressed some of it as well. Here's what the buzz is on these topics.

Prone - This has been a huge recurring discussion, with the PS2 community split. The devs aren't budging on it - they think it will contribute to slowing gameplay too much. Personally I'd like it, but I'm not missing it as much as I thought I would. It also avoids problems with prone-divers, etc.

Separate Head movement - This request seems to come mostly from TrackIR users and ARMA vets. Frankly I don't see it ever being included in PS2, but if it is it will be a long way down the road. (too much development time for too little gain)

Increased Inertia for Infantry Movements - The PS2 community is split on this, some want more 'weight' to infantry movements, some like it as it is. The devs are content to leave it as is.

Increased Verticality - There hasn't been much talk about this. I find there's quite a bit of verticality in the combat environment but yes, more large-scale verticality would be nice. Hopefully we'll see more on the 'jungle' continent of Amerish. Where Esamir is more vehicle-oriented, Amerish should be more infantry-centric.

Unique bases - There has been a lot of complaining about this. The 'cannonical' explanation is that everything you see are prefab facilities dropped in from orbit. The devs have been steadily modifying bases to make them more unique but it does have a long way to go.

Base design - The community has been rallying for more complex buildings and hackable/destroyable doors. The devs have said 'no' to doors but they might come around.

Engineers repairing tanks in combat - Rumor has it that it's coming back, though I've been unable to find an original comment from the devs. It was included before with cert to the engi tool to reduce cooldown, it may have been removed only to try to fix the bugs with inst-repairs and non-functioning repairs.

Certs - FYI Smedley is thinking of doing away with Auraxium completely, ramping up cert gain and making everything cost certs. The reasoning behind the diminishing returns for cert ranks is that they don't want to make 'high-level' players much more powerful than beginning players. So a new player can get a cert at 75% of maxiumum effectiveness that a high-level player can get at 100% effectiveness, and it's a little more balanced than if the new guy could only get the cert at 25%. The high-level still has an advantage, but it's not a stomp.
          Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

What will we have to fight over if Auraxium is gone? Almost everytime ive played one objective is "capture this base because it has auraxium". It created hot spots for the big facilities which i liked, now w there will be much less incentive to go for them. We will see how it plays out.
            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Here's the short list for me speaking as a several-year PS1 vet.

1: Vehicle movement feels like it is a bit off. Can't describe it other than it feels like they turn on mouse smoothing while in a vehicle. Pretty much all of them have been a pain for me to use. In PS1 I loved the lightning where here I am ambivalent of it.

2: Vehicle shot damage seems tepid. Again, back to the lightning, 6 75mm rounds into a base turret and it took less than 10% damage. I had enough ammo to take down 1 base turret and tap another. A single engineer could completely negate any damage I could do.

3: Lack of logistics disturbs me. Ok, I can get behind the AMS being merged into the Sunderer. Makes sense, kinda. However, I'm missing the vehicle bay in the Galaxy (lightning drop anyone?) for moving other vehicles around. Really beefed up the importance of air without causing imbalances from just sticking a spawn on a Gal.

4: Spawns on Gals... Ungh, no please. Sure, it's fine now when most people are low cert, but think about it when everyone has max certs. Bad, bad situation to be in. It was like being an engineer in PS1 against a lone CR5 leading a squad vs. a CR5 leading a squad of CR5s. No mechanic, when employed en masse, should completely negate another portion of the game.

5: No lattice. Maybe I'm not getting the new capture mechanics, but I am really disliking the lack of a mechanics to force players into conflicts over fronts. In the nights I've played it seems like we're circle-capping. We learned that this doesn't work in PS1, WWIIOL, and every CP FPS since. Why do we need to reinvent the wheel?

6: Speaking of lattice, where's the flag cap? :)

7: Lack of weapon variety. Hopefully this will be improved upon in the future but right now I have the choice of an assault rifle, an SMG, a pistol and a nade. Wooo. I miss my thumper!

8: Lack of inventory or BF-style kits. I liked the inventory in PS1. It had problems, sure, but when you were low on ammo living of the lan...er...corpses of your enemies was a viable option. Now? I have to hope there's an Engie near by who will drop an ammo pack or run back to spawn. Not to mention it gave you a chance to play with the other empire's toys without having to be on those other empires.

9: Can't unlock my vehicle for squad/platoon/side use. Unless I am missing something obvious.

10: Engie guns are considered vehicles and you can spawn only one. Make me pay for each spawn if you want them limited, only able to carry 2 or 3. But seriously, right now an engineer is horrible. Drop gun, use gun, walk away, gun is locked out to everyone else. Drop another gun, first gun despawns. Compare that to the Engie in PS1 at launch where you could carry around several ACE units and deploy up to 20. 20 mines? 20 mini guns? No problem!

11: Lack of boarding animations and boarding spots on the ground. Right now I run up to a vehicle and have no clue what spot I'm going to get into. Nor do I get a boarding/dismount animation. Know what part of the balance was for engie in a tank? The fact that he had a 1-2 second dismount and 1-2 second boarding animation. It also helped immensely with immersion.
              "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

1. Vehicle movement could use some work, definitely. The biggest complaint is the low friction. Tanks slide around, even on very slight slopes. At speed, a tank can powerslide for 100m O.o the flash spins out very easily, especially at low speeds. There's a lot of vehicle controls issues that need to be ironed out too. Tank turn controls mirror as soon as you switch from forward to reverse, there's no real brakes, can't move camera independent of turret, etc.

2. The 75mm on the Lightning is near useless, the community agrees. Once you get some of the 100mm cannons it feels more like a real tank. MBTs seem decently balanced for damage.

3. There is talk of Gals gaining the ability to airlift light vehicles... we'll have to see if this develops or not.

4. The current plan for Gal spawns is to limit them by making them either squad-only or platoon-only. Personally I'd like to see them have a 20 or 30 second respawn timer too.

5. There is talk of bringing back lattice elements, though the devs are loathe to do so. They've apparently got a few more things they want to try. Esamir was one experiment - providing fewer territories to concentrate fighting on a smaller number of facilities.

7. We got shottys, heavy assault weapons and underbarrel grenade launchers and shotguns in the last patch. They'll keep adding more weapons, rest assured. Faction-specific launchers have been mentioned...

8. Devs have given a hard 'no' to inventories and picking up enemy/allied weapons. They want you to stick with a role in order to avoid one-man armies and increase reliance on teamwork. I'd love inventories, but I just don't see it in our future.

9. Press 'N' and set to 'squad/platoon only'

10. The reasoning of the devs is that classes do not pay resources to perform their primary roles. This is why the medic does not pay for the medi-gun, the engineer gets free ammo packs, the heavy doesn't have to pay for rockets, etc. 'Secondary Roles' cost resources such as C4 or AT mines that provide a secondary AT role to units. In their infinite wisdom the devs have decided that ammo and ACE equipment are the primary roles of the engineer. That being said, I would like to see an overhaul of deployables.

11. I'd love to see them. The community rallys for them. The devs say no. Over and over. Some of the devs are getting pretty ticked off about it... :P

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by Strait Raider View Post
                  2. The 75mm on the Lightning is near useless, the community agrees. Once you get some of the 100mm cannons it feels more like a real tank. MBTs seem decently balanced for damage.
                  I think part of the problem is that the 6 shots are being counted as the totality of damage done. IE, if you land all 6 shots then it doesn't compare to unfavorably to the 100mm. Trick is landing all 6 shots. Right now it's more AI than anything else. What they really need is to have a small screen in the lightning which is a permanent camera forward. That would make it easier for the pilot to run and gun, which compliments the lightning's form, speed and 6-shots perfectly. Right now, if you get more than 30 degrees off your line of movement chances are that's the same time you're going to run into a friendly or a rock. :)

5. There is talk of bringing back lattice elements, though the devs are loathe to do so. They've apparently got a few more things they want to try. Esamir was one experiment - providing fewer territories to concentrate fighting on a smaller number of facilities.
                  Not sure why. I know they feel like it is a poor solution but it is a solution that 3 generations of games have converged upon as better than the alternative. I know they're looking for a more organic way of controlling the front but right now it is communicated very poorly in game.

7. We got shottys, heavy assault weapons and underbarrel grenade launchers and shotguns in the last patch. They'll keep adding more weapons, rest assured. Faction-specific launchers have been mentioned...
                  True, I was writing that more with the experience prior to that patch. Heck, I haven't had enough to unlock anything extra anyway. :/

8. Devs have given a hard 'no' to inventories and picking up enemy/allied weapons. They want you to stick with a role in order to avoid one-man armies and increase reliance on teamwork. I'd love inventories, but I just don't see it in our future.
                  This one I just find mind boggling. Ok, I can understand why they don't wand inventories. I can get behind the notion of roles. But the concept of kits ala the BF series allows for both goals. You are stuck with one, and only one, role at a time. You're only able to change on the fly based on the kits around you. So it isn't as if they can get in heavy gear, load up 2 heavy weapons, have a back-up rocket launcher, repair tool and hacking tool and go to town. I guess I'll just have to gnash my teeth and wail at it. :)

9. Press 'N' and set to 'squad/platoon only'
                  Danke, will give that a try tonight.

11. I'd love to see them. The community rallys for them. The devs say no. Over and over. Some of the devs are getting pretty ticked off about it... :P
                  Welp, if the community wants it. Actually, to be honest, just having the mount-up highlights would be enough. I am guessing that the reason they don't add dis/mount animations is a severe technical limitation in Forgelight.
                  "...the rules aren't there to enumerate what is always correct but what is always wrong..."

Comment

Bring back the sanctuaries, feel like this alone is would bring back the old continent to continent battles that was the original. Other than that I feel like the game is going in the right direction, and I have pretty high hopes about the future of this title.

Edit: Forgot to mention bringing back the pain fields and the ability to destroy spawn tubes instead of the system they have now.
                    Last edited by Atatron; 10-22-2012, 09:29 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the lack of Sanctuaries is severely limiting their ability to be creative with the continents. Well, that and the lack of a lattice. Take a look at the original Amerish and the new one, for example. The original looked kinda like a scaled down Japan in form. The new one? A box. A greenish/brown box. Indar? A green/brown box. Esamir? A white box. By having neither we can't have continent locks. Without both we have to have a fairly even distribution on each continent which dictates a fairly uniform continent shape/size.

Comment

I am inclined to agree with Atatron. I really like the idea of sanctuaries and hopefully it would allow continent locks to get us away from the never ending three way battle.

Comment

I would like to see a higher altitude for planes (out of reach of AA when in transit). This would also make the Lib more viable if you slap some optics on it and slowed the rate of fire - making it an air-artillery unit.
                          "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
                          Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Comment

Playermodel rendering fixed. As it is, flying in the air is very hazardous to your health because of the disparity in model render distance. Many, many times I'l be in a liberator or reaver and be unable to tell what is shooting at me where, because infantry and MAX suits won't render unless you're within ~200 or so meters currently. Skyguards shooting that you can't see to return fire, etc. Air renders at quite a long distance, so to the ground troops, you're visible 2-3 times longer than they are to you.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                            <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                            DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

What happened to the curved HUD slider options? Where it looked like the HUD was in your helmet? I know it was gone after a few weeks in the super-closed-test.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X