Armour in Planetside 2 - Discussion of Tactics and Possibilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armour in Planetside 2 - Discussion of Tactics and Possibilities

Due to the recent changes, all armour available has been given a real use a purpose. I decided to set up my ideal armour group which could support a platoon of infantry.

Explanation:
    This image describes my ideal armour group. Each vehicle has its own role and reasoning behind its loadout. This group is not necessarily meant to be implemented at the current time, but hopefully in the future we can see something along these lines.

In the front of the group we have three (3) MBTs (Vanguards). Two of which are armed with AP cannons, the third with HEAT. This is to bring most of the anti-armour firepower to the front of the column. Having a single HEAT gun in the front allows for added anti-infantry ability without loss of anti-armour strength.

Behind that we have two (2) Lightnings equipped with 100mm AP guns. These are to be used primarily as flanking vehicles. Under the scenario where the column faces enemy armour, the front will engage the targets hopefully putting them into tunnel vision towards the MBTs. This will allow for the lightnings to break off and flank to the side or rear of the enemy armour causing immense damage to enemy armour (2-3 shots on rear armour will kill a MBT).

In the center of the group are three Sunderers. These server as infantry transport if a platoon is attached to the armour group. They also serve as field repair and resupply. In the event of combat, the Repair sunderer should deploy near the front MBTs to provide constant repair support. Engineers should do their best to keep the front MBTs and the Sunderer alive. The Resupply and AMS Sunderer should move to cover and provide as much support as possible. The resupply Sundy is armed with Mortars to enable indirect fire on area targets from the rear of the formation.

Behind the Sundies are two Skyguards and an HE equipped Lightning. The skyguards are to prevent enemy air assault on the column, while the HE Lightning is to prevent hostile Heavy Assault units from flanking the armour group.

On the rear of the formation is two HEAT equipped Vanguards. These are primarily for rear support and security. Should the group come under fire from the 12 O'Clock, the rear vanguards should move to the front of the formation of the left and right flanks. They are to stay behind the frontal MBTs and fire upon enemy unit to the front of the formation. They are also responsible for flank coverage to ensure no units make it around the formation.

EDIT:
    Example of Reaction to Frontal Attack:

Explanation:
    In the case of infantry attack, all HEAT MBTs will move to the front and engage infantry. All sunderers will set up behind the MBT line and support the attack as well as provide repair and ammo to the MBTs. The HE Lightning will flank the infantry group as the terrain permits, but should not get separated too much due infantry's ability to easily outflank armour. All dedicated anti-armour vehicles will provide security to the formation, while the Skyguards set up in the center of the formation and continue anti-air duties.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ZephyrDark; 11-04-2012, 11:38 PM.
    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
    Former 31st RECCE Member

Re: Armour in Planetside 2 - Discussion of Tactics and Possibilities

Been trying to get back into game changes after reading the forums, but can Sundys dual equip supply or repair alongside AMS? If so you only need one resupply Sundy with AMS as he would be behind as a resupply point. I would definitely want more armor repairers for a frontline head to head battle. If I've missed that point (because in your diagram I only see 3 Sundys and each has a specific function) please correct me.

Ideally I'd think all Sundys would have AMS, one with resupply, the other two with rearm. The resupply would fall back behind cover and deploy as necessary, and be the fall back point for armor.

Otherwise this looks awesome. After watching some videos with AA testing having 2x skyguards seems like it has to be a minimum.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Yes, the AMS and the Repair/Resupply functions are on separate slots. The AMS one, I would have left it up to the platoon leader. I see your point in having multiple repair Sundies. When I made the diagrams I tossed the AMS sundy in just before I posted. Also, I was trying to differentiate the primary sunderer that would be used for the AMS duties. While the other two had their own primary duties.

The reason there are only three sunderers is due to keeping the size of the group down. It is also the minimum amount to allow for a 3 Squad platoon. This would be the smallest version of this kind of setup. Now if you could get a full platoon (48 people) running armour, this thing would be twice as large and would require a lot more sunderers to keep it viable. I'll start a google doc slideshow with all of my diagrams that I come up with. Doing it there will allow me to easily change things as well as fix errors.
      Blackpython / ZephyrDark
      Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

The diagrams look great. I am maxing a vanguard and a medic in the game before anything else, so I am interested in this kind of stuff.

The only issue I see is movement. It takes a lot of practice to get into formation from a single file column, at least with any speed or efficiency. Would you run armor training sessions for platoon or squad level movements?

How would your column react to small arms and rocket fire? How would the unit handle taking towns or bases? Are you of the mind that a unit like this would stay at max range and support fire? circle the objective and run perimeter security? support the cap by rolling into the middle?

How does air support factor into your mission? What about infantry? are they there to support you, or are you there to support them?

I was a TOW Gunner for the Marines and in the Army, anti-armor death and destruction was my job, so being at the other end of the missile is a new feeling.
        "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
        Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Comment

Again, a lot of what I present here is theory, and most likely will not be able to be practiced very well (especially with the terrain currently provided). I'm just really showing what the ideal setup would look, and we all know, no matter how much planning and structure you put into something like this, once it's implemented in game and the first shot is fired, nearly all of it just falls apart.

This would be more so for Platoon level movements. I'll see what I can do about a squad level design.

If it came to small arms, I'd say push through. Rockets, same deal. Return fire, push through, and if the threat is in the way of your objective, create a counter-attack plan.

If an infantry platoon was attached to this, I'd like to see one of the squads being assigned to supporting the armour itself via repair and security duties. The rest of the infantry would, in my mind, be free to take ground and capture objectives.

On the lines of base attack, I'm not the most experienced when it comes to mechanized/motorized assaults. Until I get more experience in the tactics of bast attack in general for Planetside 2, I'm going to avoid that topic personally; however, I encourage that if someone has some good ideas, post about it here.
          Blackpython / ZephyrDark
          Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Link to GoogleDocs version of images

I'll be updating the diagrams as I see fit at the above link. I'll still attempt to post here on the forums with the images, just a lot of them will probably end up outdated as the discussion continues.
            Blackpython / ZephyrDark
            Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Sounds good. Any planned maneuver will go awry when combat hits, however, there will be a rough resemblance to the actual maneuver which can give the edge over the enemy who might not be organized at all. I always felt that planning like this raised the situation awareness naturally which in turns allows the entire team to react in a more meaningful way.
              "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!"
              Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Comment

Exactly, while setups like these may not be practical, the ideology behind them really stresses the roles of different vehicles(or classes if we were talking about infantry). Once we can wrap our heads around stuff like this, we'll see elements of the planning done here implemented in-game and we'll see if they work in actuality.
                Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

If we actually got enough people together to practice this, it could work VERY well. But in most cases this wouldnt work with pubbies, even if they used good comms and followed orders, its something you have to practice. Infantry ops work well with just having a few TG'ers and filling the rest of the squad with pubbies, but that doesnt work here. You can still have a good armor element with pubbies, just not quite as effective. The only other issue I see is that often the routes armor take are simply not wide enough to allow for anything more than single file. If we can get enough players that know these formations and maneuvers, and are in the right area of the map, they do look like the most efficient way of doing armor, so hopefully we will get to use this after launch. Thank you for taking the time and effort to put this all together!
                  May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

^^^-this

Practice. Practice. Practice.

I think Patton said it best when he likened the military to an orchestra.

We just need to make sure we will be actively gathering new recruits and actively training all those interested.

Comment

Regarding the Lightnings -

Personally, I think the AP and HE Lightnings should stick together.

One reason for this is simplicity of command. Put a 2IC in charge of your flanking trio while you manage the main body of AA, Sundies and Vanguards.

There will be something for the Lightnings to do. When attacking infantry, the AP Lightnings should seek out the enemy Sunderer to stop spawns. When attacking armor, the HE Lightning protects the AP Lightnings from infantry attack.

With the obvious exception of SkyGuards, I think having Lightnings stay behind to defend the Sundies is a waste of the Lightning's primary advantage - maneuverability. Confining the Lightning to one area makes it a sitting duck - the Vanguard is much better suited to defensive postures. In transit I would suggest that the Lightnings could range ahead as scouts, either in teams of two or as a 3-4 tank wolfpack for a more aggressive stance.

Regarding the Vanguards -

I disagree with the inclusion of AP-armed Vanguard tanks. You state initially that the Vanguards would use 'Preferably HEAT' and I agree with this, but then we have nearly as many AP Vanguards allocated as HEAT.

When engaging infantry, AP Vanguards are almost nullified. AP Lightnings have the luxury of breaking off to track down the enemy Sunderer, but Vanguards are limited by mobility. If stuck in against infantry, the AP Lightning can actually hold its own due to the rapid rate of fire of the 100mm gun, an advantage which the AP Vanguard lacks.

This also creates problems with force composition. In your examples we can see that when engaging infantry, only 50% of the force is aggressively engaged. When fighting armor, 88% of the formation is engaging.

If anything, I would see a couple of HE Vanguards, as the massive splash of the 150mm HE should help root out hiding infantry. The majority of Vanguards should be HEAT though.

Regarding the Sunderers -

I think that 3 Sunderers is overkill. You have the same number of personnel dedicated to Sunderers as to MBTs, and twice as much as you have in Light tanks. A minimum of one Sunderer is essential for ammunition resupply, though having one as backup and to provide resupply to the Sunderer's gun is a great benefit. Personally I would not pull more than 2 at a time for a group this size.

I would avoid dedicating gunners to the Sunderers. Any role that can be accomplished by the Sunderer's guns (AA, Anti-Infantry, Bombardment) could be better accomplished by a single player pulling a Lightning than by two players in Sundie gunner positions. As the Sundies are meant to be tucked away from combat and protected by other units, these gunners should be mostly superfluous anyway. When deployed, the Sundie driver will be manning one of the two turrets anyway and by switching between the two as the other reloads, a single player can actually output more than 50% of the vehicle's firepower.
                      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

In the past few days twice I have found my Sunderer to be completely destroyed in a second or so, apparently only by a single player. No clear indication of the weapon used was given, and whatever weapon (C4?) required only one hit.

A hacker or a new weapon (C4?)?

If Sunderers can be taken out in one shot by one enemy that will change how they are deployed and defended.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
                          In the past few days twice I have found my Sunderer to be completely destroyed in a second or so, apparently only by a single player. No clear indication of the weapon used was given, and whatever weapon (C4?) required only one hit.

A hacker or a new weapon (C4?)?

If Sunderers can be taken out in one shot by one enemy that will change how they are deployed and defended.
                          C4 supposedly got buffed in last patch, so that might be it. It still is bugged for me, so I dont know for sure. :(
                          May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

Yeah, I got waxed by a couple of C-4 suiciders yesterday. Better get used to it.

Comment

I would run into a sundy down on the east side of the crown and place a mine or two right infront of bewildered TR players. I would die in seconds and then one second later I'd get ten straight kills as the splash killed everyone huddled around.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X