Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• constructive game design flaws collection

Hey,
    In my opinion there are still some flaws in the design of the game atm, some minor and some major ones. What do you think of collecting those that you noticed?

I am not referring to issues like f2p vs. p2w or if weapon XY is overpowered in respect Z.

I am thinking of more general things, like core gamplay mechanics, that are not realized well or don't work as they should, features that are missing that would improve the game a lot... and such.

So, to make a start, the things that I remember at the moment that I noticed, that were done rather poorly are:

1) The communication system (V + Number) is not context sensitive.

Remark: For example when in vehicle there is still the "need transport" but not a "boar this vehicle" option. Needs to be tweaked.

2) The server population is displayed only when creating a character.

Remark: I mean I don't want to go into the character creation every time I start up the game to check which of the three servers i am playing on (one per faction) is sufficiently populated...

3) available characters: Not that this would matter really, but 2 x 4 different character faces is a little meager.

4) When driving a vehicle your vehicle is not displayed on the minimap.

5) There is nor reference for the gunner of a vehicle where his gun is pointing relative to the hull of the tank.

6) switching chat channel by typing "/squadsay", "/outfitsay", "/say" and stuff every time is tedious.

7) Killer-Info screen not abortable, chat not possible to be opened, menu not possible to be opened (which drives me mad in BF3 every time as well).

8) Small pop up chat window not easily accessible when dead (via hitting enter).

9) Small compass like in BF3 is bad... use the top or the bottom of the screen for a compass like in BF2 or even better a proper compass like in Arma 2 that can be turned on and off (could be some built in HUD element though, so a digital compass then, but unlike the one that we already have more like an "actual" compass). Ideally add an exact degree meter that tells you the degree you are looking at (like in vehicles in arma).

(10) This is more of an idea I had, that I would find a very great feature, than a flaw in the game:

Vehicle transports that can lift one or more vehicles.

If you like please add to this list, or if this should be the case, correct me if I am mistaken about some point that I made.
    Last edited by Evilhardt; 11-24-2012, 03:41 AM.

Re: constructive game design flaws collection

Originally posted by Evilhardt View Post
    6) switching chat channel by typing "/squadsay", "/outfitsay", "/say" and stuff every time is tedious.
    a shotcut for this is "Crtl+H" If i remember correctly
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

nice, thx.

Comment

no lattice system, fighting still feels very spread out

sigpic

Comment

1-Man MBTs!

No Sanctuaries or real continent domination.

That being said, it's come a long way just in the last few weeks of beta to release.
          Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

2) The server population is displayed only when creating a character.

Remark: I mean I don't want to go into the character creation every time I start up the game to check which of the three servers i am playing on (one per faction) is sufficiently populated...
            You can see if the servers have high or low population by going to the launcher and click on the wrench icon at the bottom left and click on servers.

Comment

not for me... http://i.imgur.com/3K2nR.png

Comment

The servers show up in the launcher downloaded from planetside2.com, I see your using the Pro S launcher, I do not know if you can use the launcher from planetside2.com.

Comment

K, thx. Let's go back to topic then!

I have another point: More diverse map markers as SL.

Comment

Originally posted by di1lweed1212 View Post
                    a shotcut for this is "Crtl+H" If i remember correctly
                    Ctrl+tab think works, and then you just press Enter and it should bring up the last chat command.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Originally posted by Serjikal View Post
                      Ctrl+tab think works, and then you just press Enter and it should bring up the last chat command.
                      thanks for the correction :)
                      1. i believe the squad and platoon waypoint colors should be more distinct (at least for me they're not distinct, im a tiny bit color blind so its hard to tell purple from blue sometimes and so on)
                      they look very similar to me, i like the design of them though.

1. I believe we should also be able to have full control of minimap zoom, or at least more presets to switch between. Its hard to interpret it sometimes.

3. Rendering distance for people needs to be SEVERLY! fixed
                      its outrageous for snipping and flying, people just poof into thin air at a certain distance
                      is there a section in the UserOptions.ini file that can be edited to fix this?
                      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Originally posted by di1lweed1212 View Post
                        thanks for the correction :)
                        3. Rendering distance for people needs to be SEVERLY! fixed
                        its outrageous for snipping and flying, people just poof into thin air at a certain distance
                        is there a section in the UserOptions.ini file that can be edited to fix this?
                        God yes and its not limited to what he posted. In heavy infantry battles I've seen people appear/disappear at less than 50 meters.

Comment

I would like to edit the startpost to add the things you mentioned, but it's not possible, as you are likely to know...

Edit: new point:

Not having a cursor for the "hold-Q-on-player-for-interaction"-menu is bad... like it is atm is even worse than it is in BF3 for example... (where you also don't have a cursor)
                          Last edited by Evilhardt; 11-25-2012, 11:38 AM.

Comment

I got some more points:

1) External Camera needs tweak... currently it is pretty useless. A hybrid of the Crysis 1 external cam and Arma 2 external cam would be brilliant.

2) The Pilot and also the gunner need displays then tell them where the (other) gunners are currently pointing at.

3) Unlocks must not be local to server, I mad a thread on this here, where I wrote what I would consider a better solution compared to what it is atm:

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...0/#post-690547

4) They made the same mistake as Dice in BF... when in a vehicle all passengers/ driver/ gunners must be able to see what classes all the other passengers/ driver/ gunners have equipped. This would be so easy to do and still it lacks in all the games, but would help so much.

5) points for revives should be granted not upon revive accept but upon completion of the revive process /when the blue circle is full).

6) Players being revived need to be informed that they are currently being revived, rather than not before the revive process is completed. this would make less players respawn while someone is currently rezzing him, causing that very person to get mad every time (especially because he is not granted any points for the effort he has made).

7) Squads should be creatable without the need of a initial squaddie... I mean, seriously, wtf?

Comment

I got a few.

1. Camera needs to be further back in the tank's turret than halfway down the gun. It makes it incredibly hard to see foot soldiers walking around my tank when I'm looking for them.

2. Defenders need more spawn locations than just one when defending objectives. It makes it very easy for attackers to camp the spawn and defenders to just sit around and wait to die. It's boring.

3. This one isn't necessarily a gameplay thing, but deserves mentioning, but cert points need to be easier to earn for those playing for free! I played most of today and only earned twenty points. That's five or so hours for 20 cert points. That's just insulting. I'm not asking for a boost of any kind, but when we are locked down in a sector and we are dying most of the time, we need something to keep us going rather than just to kill one more guy.

4. Revives need to be quicker, like the defib in BF2/2142 and the player being revived should be notified as well. Evil already covered this but it deserves repeating.

That's it for now, but I'm sure I've got more somewhere.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X