Vanguard upgrades discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard upgrades discussion

As I'm really quite uncertain about the upgrade choices for the vanguard, I've made this thread in an attempt to get some clarity on the subject. A few examples of what I'm talking about:

A few days ago I had a somewhat disjointed discussing with Jeepo about whether to pick front or side armor for the vanguard. I'm a proponent of the front armor as it is already the strongest, and by strengthning it further and using proper positioning you get the overall best damage resistance. Jeepo on the other hand favored the side armor, as it gives a higher dmg reduction %'age, and more protection in situations where you cannot have your front towards the enemy.
    Another dilemma is the performance upgrade for the vanguard. On one hand the combat upgrade is really quite helpful when positioning and retreating, but with the highspeed upgrade you can reposition faster. I have initially chosen the combat upgrade, but I'm really not sure if thats the right choice.

So as you can see the upgrade paths for the vanguard is rather unclear. It would be great if people could chime in with their opinions on the matter so we can figure out which upgrades to pick.

Re: Vanguard upgrades discussion

Originally posted by Feriluce View Post
    As I'm really quite uncertain about the upgrade choices for the vanguard, I've made this thread in an attempt to get some clarity on the subject. A few examples of what I'm talking about:

A few days ago I had a somewhat disjointed discussing with Jeepo about whether to pick front or side armor for the vanguard. I'm a proponent of the front armor as it is already the strongest, and by strengthning it further and using proper positioning you get the overall best damage resistance. Jeepo on the other hand favored the side armor, as it gives a higher dmg reduction %'age, and more protection in situations where you cannot have your front towards the enemy.
    Another dilemma is the performance upgrade for the vanguard. On one hand the combat upgrade is really quite helpful when positioning and retreating, but with the highspeed upgrade you can reposition faster. I have initially chosen the combat upgrade, but I'm really not sure if thats the right choice.

So as you can see the upgrade paths for the vanguard is rather unclear. It would be great if people could chime in with their opinions on the matter so we can figure out which upgrades to pick.
    1. armor
    I have not tried it yet (just certed it today) but I think side armor would be more suited for my type of tanking. If I come into an encounter I usually turn side ways and roll forward/backward to dodge shells. (although, turning sideways makes you a bigger target)
    Side armor would also help with lightning flankers trying to get to the weaker armor (sides) because they know they'll just lose in a duel

2. performance
    I think I will cert the combat chasis next because I HATE being flanked so if i can turn faster to shoot a lightning trying to flank i would love it.

3. shield
    I have the shield but have not tried it in a combat situation yet, combined with armor, how well do you think it will help with defense?

4. Main gun
    What main gun will you be using? im going for the armor penetrating gun, take down some enemy tanks :)
    |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

You can still duck in and out of cover while only exposing your front armor. Just gotta angle the tank a bit.

The shield is amazing, although the cooldown is really very long at low levels. Its especially great to protect against volley fire, like a ESP unloading rockets, or to protect yourself in vulnerable situations like when your rear is exposed. Also works great for cresting a hill into enemy armor. Lets you draw their fire and absorb shots, while you and your friendly tanks behind you gets some good shots on.

For the main gun, I've been sticking with the default, because it works against both infantry and armor. I did buy the AP gun because it was on sale though, but I'm only going to use it when I know i'll be headed into a mostly armor battle. It doesn't do much more dmg afaik. The main benefits are less drop and faster travel time.

Comment

Depend on your mission or priorities.

Mine is supporting the front line so I am starting with AMS and Ammo perks.

Once I have fully loaded these (which may take a few weeks to cert up), I will add the Speed perk.

In Beta I found that having fully loaded armour made little difference, as it was cancelled out by fully maxed weapons (re incoming enemy fire).
        sigpic

Comment

Armour - As Feriluce said I went side Armour. I tried both in the Beta but like side more as it has a higher % or protection. I often find myself dog fighting with infantry (I have all 3 turrets for my tank and sometimes go inf hunting) and find the side armour to be of huge benfit here. I also go side on against armour and dodge their shells, so it is of benefit there.

Shield - Expensive, but I love it. It is great for catching dumb pilots with rockets. They come low, I let them fire, I hit shield, I am safe and I blow them out of the sky. It also saves my life in the above mentioned infantry situation, or in ambushes.

Main gun - I have all of them, and so far they are all great. I usually pull a specific tank for the situation. So if I am tank hunting I pull my big AP turret with TOW missile launcher. If infantry I pull HE and can keep the tow for armour or switch to .50 cal. So far the versatility is great. Also, think about using the new turrets on the lighting. That thing can be godly......

Comment

A note on the Combat Chassis - One of the biggest issues the Vanguard has is terrible brakes in its stock setup, anything that improves that is a boon in my books. I'm looking forward to the increased reverse speed as well, as I tend to drive backwards out of battle rather than exposing my rear armor.

On the primary weapons, according to some data somebody posted on the PS2 forums, the AP shells do 14% more direct damage and travel 12% faster than the HEAT shells at the expense of half the splash damage in a much smaller radius.

The HE shells do 26% less direct damage and travel 12% slower than the HEAT shells, in exchange for a larger splash damage radius.

Personally I use HEAT on my Vanny all the time. Being 20% more effective against vehicles doesn't make up for being 80% less effective versus infantry in my books.

I'd spend the certs on a decent gun for the Lightning first, as the default cannon is absolute rubbish. Terrible damage per second, and a recoil that ensures the actual DPS is half that or lower. The 100mm guns turn it into a capable tank.
            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Re: Sunderer upgrades

Initially I switch to two cannon upgrades, but quickly realized you need the standard double-barrelled gun for chasing off air targets.

Now I role with the standard 2-barrell in front and a 60 mm cannon in the rear.
              sigpic

Comment

-Side Armor; more coverage at higher rates. Great for times when more than one shot is coming at you.

-Combat Upgrade; has great synergy with Front Armor since you can retreat faster and bring to face the front better, turning isn't too necessary when your sides are upped.
                conversely
                -Performance Upgrade; is best for the speed and getting into battle.

-Shield; Up this thing quickly.

-Guns; HE is boss when worrying about infantry only. If AP? Run 60mm GL secondary... Don't forget about Walkers AA.

===================

All in all I see the individual upgrades less important to the individual and more important to force cohesion. You start broad and multipurpose then slowly you upgrade your vehicle to be better at one specific role. A force with HEAT frontline, a very few HE Middle, and AP Back could be very effective. This obviously excludes the necessary Sunderer.

Comment

Im thinking about getting the fast chasis upgrade, just for the reason that since the vanguard is literally 2kph slower than the sundy, maybe I could actually keep up instead of getting left behind XD usually a vanguard leads the armor column....we dont want them to be slowed down XD

Than again, everything is situational
                  |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I figure with the Side Armor and a well Upgraded Shield the Speed Chassis would probably be great. You have protection AND speed. So much to consider... it really just is going to come down to your personal vehicle being yours and awesome for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                      I figure with the Side Armor and a well Upgraded Shield the Speed Chassis would probably be great. You have protection AND speed. So much to consider... it really just is going to come down to your personal vehicle being yours and awesome for you.
                      agreed, once everybody has their personalized roles and cert unlocks, I think this game will evolve immensely into ultimate awesomesauce.

I have side armor and shield already, cant wait to upgrade the shield farther and buy the AA gun for 2nd seat and Armor piercing main gun........just sounds delicious

Question: when the acquisition timer is maxed out, is there a wait time at all? or is it reduced to like a minute?
                      i have two acquisition timer slots certed. Im trying to stay alive long enough to not have to wait at all so the time runs out, which is ideal
                      |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I dont see any mention of the top armour!

I've been contemplating which armour would be best for me, and Im honestly considering top. I find that when Im engaging enemy armour, either as an AT unit, or as armour myself, that Many of my shots are landing on the top of the vehicle. Most of the time im engaging from distaance and am unable to score a direct hit to either the side/front/rear and so I find my self lobbing the round and having it land on the top of the vehicle. More surface area I guess.

Anybody else have any thought on top armour?
                        |TG-6th|CorpDuty

Comment

Originally posted by CorpDuty View Post
                          Anybody else have any thought on top armour?
                          I've been considering that too, Corp.

I used it during beta, but the arc of infantry rockets and vehicle weapons have been reduced since beta due to higher projectile speeds. Of course, there are still plenty of infantry that can shoot down on you from rooftops, and those ESF with rocket pods are always nasty.

To be honest though, I'll probably just wind up slapping on the first level of stealth and leaving my defensive slot as that. A 10% damage reduction, in the big scheme of things? Eh, I'll take my chances. The inability to be auto-spotted by proximity is an intangible, but something I really like the idea of, as I tend to take extended and flanking roles.

Perhaps if mines develop more widespread usage I may actually switch to mineguard. Very situational, but I never realized how deadly those things are. I took 85% damage from one this week, killed me in one hit right out of the blue.
                          Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

hmmmm interesting because its true XD
                            I prefer side due to my style of tanking.
                            Strait, tell us how stealth works out, i might use it to, Although each tank is very unique and is easy to see which faction, but still, if you have good camo you'll blend right in.
                            can camo for vehicles be bought with certs?
                            edit: nevermidn jsut googled it :p
                            |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

Actually I was more thinking of top for my lighting. Forgot the topic was for vanguard :P I honestly just continue to debate on what I plan to get lol. Cant make a decision.
                              |TG-6th|CorpDuty

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X