We need more Platoon Leaders/ Squad Leaders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need more Platoon Leaders/ Squad Leaders

We seem to have a shortage of people to run things in the field. I think we're wearing out the ones who are stepping up.

How about those of you who have been doing it discuss what your doing, how your doing it and your general strategies and hopefully it will take the mystery out and encourage some new people to step up when needed.

"I was never much a fan to playing anything online without having to manage my own private server. The Internet Gaming community has evolved to cater to the lowest common denominator and practically ruined my desire to have any part of it. But not here. It is something wonderfully different." - frozenchrome

"Teamspeak doesn't make the tactics in DayZ any better. It just let's everyone share in the agony of waiting to connect." -Warlab

Proud Former member of the 19th Mechanized Infantry

Re: We need more Platoon Leaders/ Squad Leaders

So you guys saw some of my "awesome" (lies) Platoon/SLing today - this is my approach to SL/PLing

Squad Layout:
    Medic (min 2-3, usually 3 is good)
    Engineer (min 2-3)
    Infiltrator (1-2) More like a DMR with hacking - scout rifles are awesome
    HA (Everyone else) I'm a big fan of having too much Anti Tank/Air rather than none, which is usually the case in this game.
    MAXs/LAs are situational at best/too weak for how I play.

AMS Sundy usually driven by the SL. Having one guy looking at the map helps to tell you where to go in relation to your various waypoints.

Cohesion
    I keep the squad tight, which usually comes through as being a dick, and will get on you if you're not with the squad. This allows us to move into buildings, clear rooms, and get on objectives/points to cap quickly. By being close and together and not split around the area/other random buildings, we have a better magnitude of fire that we can lay down. Also better 360 security since you usually will have 3-4 guns then watching each door/looking out a window.

One way to do this is pre-brief the squad about what you're going to do next. If we've capped a point, we rearm, repair and then I'll set the new marker, and before we even start to move, brief "this is where we're going, how we're getting there, what I want X, Y, and Z to do once we're there, and where the Sunderer will be". This allows each member to know exactly what to do, as well as what the other members of the squad are going to do as well. This provides SA to medics to know where people are, Engineers to know where vehicles are etc. As a PL/SL, the worst thing you can do is not communicate. You can be an amazing PL/SL from the armchair seat at a warpgate if you can communicate to your squad effectively what you want them to do.

If we're about to clear the room/floor, I'll usually call out "Heavy's to the front, stack up on the door" This means just get on the wall, and prep for entry. I'll then do a quick 3,2,1 countdown and then we go in and slay bodies. Majority of the time the reason people fail at this game in the CQB environment is because they just do herp derp tactics of running/gunning. If you even work remotely as a team, your chances of survival go up astronomically. That is where being a good SL and directing exactly where you want people comes in handy. Something as simple as "Hey X, I need you covering that door with Y", gives those 2 members 1) an objective, 2) a reference and 3) a point of focus. Usually if you just say "we're taking this point" people just all flood to where the enemy will come from. While that gets the team kills, its the Medic and HA that just flanked around the back and killed your whole squad because noone was watching the 2nd set of stairs. Be specific and deliberate in everything you say.

Fighting
    Slow down the fight. Seriously. This is an FPS and people get all adrenaline pumping because its a blood killing spree and they just killed 10 maxes with some C4 and a pistol. Once you take an objective (SCU, Shield Gen...etc) take a quick 30 seconds to get everyone together. This shouldn't be an issue if everyone is already together but it settles people down and gets them recaged on whats next. Again.. do a quick "Alpha Squad, push on the Vertical Shield Gen, Bravo Sq take the Horizontal Bars" and the squads go out and execute.

Conversely, I move fast. Which means once we cap a point, or blow an objective and there is no reason for us to be there, I'm leaving. I can't stand sitting around a point when there are a ton of other friendlies there as well doing absolutely nothing. I'll get the XP from a cap turnover, but by that time we're already going to be in the sunderer, loaded up, sitting ready to move out before everyone else.

Some of you saw today just how quickly we moved. I rush through, with no regard for the enemy or what they might have infront of me, storm in, deploy the sundy in a good spot (sometimes right ontop of them) and we bail out and go to whatever we briefed beforehand. We stay tight, we push in, complete the objective and move on.

Short/Quick Version -
    Kits- Medics, Engys, HA is all you'll ever need (max's for biolab)
    Keep the squad tight and together - pre-brief them on where you're going, what you're going to do once you get there, who is doing specific things (infiltrators hack this...blah, you guys cover that) etc.
    Move quickly as a unit, but control the flow of the battle. If you're working well and the enemy is in disarray push hard and don't let up. Otherwise, slow it down and take it smooth through buildings/rooms/objectives.
    Lastly - COMMUNICATE If you're the PL, talk with the other SL/members about what they think. Have an idea/plan in mind but be flexible to changing situations.

Constantly be asking yourself - What's my goal, what can we do/how to achieve it, where is the enemy

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

Once I have hit level 10 I will be speccing the spawn beacon and extra waypoints - I see marker smoke as useful, but will coordinate that with others, no point all having blue smoke - which one do you run too! Experience of the environments being fought in however will really decide a good PL/SL. I have no doubt over time I will learn the maps, but I know at the moment I wouldnt be able to micro manage all 4 squads in the style you have described Serjikal, against an unprepared foe you will steam roll playing like that :) reminds me of SWAT4!

Comment

Looking back on the post, i might have overcomplicated things..

keep it simple study principle applies here.

Tell your squad what you want, where you're going, and what you want to do once you get there.
        Have a plan on how you're going to "do" the mission - i.e are all the squads going to attack the objective, or one squad get the shield gen while another focuses on defending an entrance?
        Be specific. Don't be stupid.

These Things We Do... That Other's May Live

Comment

While Serj. Commented on the technical aspects above I feel the need to comment on one super important thing. Be confident. No one cares if you make a wrong tactical choice and if you do someone will suggest an alternate. Most just want someone to watch the map and then direct them on the ground.

I find being SL in a TG squad is more about baby sitting or organizing than micro managing specific positions and maneuvers (but I haven't played any of the more technical games). Make sure your squad is tight and then point them towards the enemy and the squad will do the rest.

Exploding Silver made several videos posted on YouTube from BF2142 that I found helpful when I first started to squad lead. I will likely be revisiting them for inspiration in this game.
          Last edited by BrownCoat2000; 11-27-2012, 11:54 AM.
          Proud to be Irregular

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BrownCoat2000 View Post
            Make sure your squad is tight and then point them towards the enemy and the squad will do the rest.
            This, TG members are usually on the ball so its fairly easy to squad lead them. Its a little more difficult than in the past, but this has more to do with a lot of us still learning the game.

A couple of things for he new squad leader.

1. You're going to screw up, deal with it and move on. Sometimes it won't even be your fault, the enemy can be a jerk when he wants to be.
            2. Be decisive! Be willing to take suggestions from the group but don't be pushed around by them.

Comment

I'm more than willing to squad lead when I'm on. Here is a bit about my style:

I prefer to attack points versus defending points. I would much rather sacrifice a nearby base to attack another. I always want to be on the move and on the hunt. I want every squad member to be close by and working together. I will make special exceptions to this based on someone's class and playstyle. I feel that it is more productive for my squad to counter attack other bases than it is to constantly defend and be pushed back.

Comment

Talking squadleaders who run open squads is the key to ongoing TG platoon success

Comment

I'll try my hand at some SL in PS2 tonight if we have people on. I have AMS Sundy, squad beacon, and objective markers.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
                    Talking squadleaders who run open squads is the key to ongoing TG platoon success
                    Exactly.
                    And on that note i'd like to thank Sleepy8, who lead an open squad a few days ago, with great succes.
                    He never stopped communicating with the squad and always explained his decisions.
                    This lead to a responsive and effective squad all working together, with only 2 or 3 actual TG members in it.
                    It was a very good example of squadleading and i had a lot of fun playing that day.

Communication is the key.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Exploding_Silver View Post
                      While there is something to be had with TG only squads... expanding our base is important and can only be done with open squads and advertisement. Beyond that the leadership needs to unify what we currently have.

Comment

How wS voip doing that day?

Comment

I have always been slow to SL because of my age and experience (It just doesnt feel right leading all these TG vets, some of whom are old enough to be my father) but if nobody wants to do it, I will step up where needed. I feel badly that 50%+ of the time there is a TG squad, Al is the one leading it because nobody else will step up. I think he does an extraordinary job, and if he enjoys it, then great! But I dont want anybody to feel like they have to always SL if there is some other role they would rather be filling.
                          May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

VOIP is an off/on affair. Again, until SOE expands the PS2 voip server performance will remain an issue. I really like our current TS set up and think that it'll be perfect as an interim as long as we have participation and self police (as TS admins tend to be few/far between). Looking at The Enclave's setup its very similar... they just field more people (and as a result use more spammy tactics... which I think TG can avoid most of the time).

And SOLO, don't feel bad bossing around the oldies, age doesn't matter on the interwebs. Its just maturity, experience, and personality. More than half the time SLing is just a unifying hand. When/if we can organize on the Platoon Level we'll see the SLs take a more hands on approach and the task of unifying then goes to the PL.

One day I envision a Theater Commander who groups together all the arms and sits at a nice couchy position way in the back with his feet on his desk.

Comment

Once I figure out how the game works or I have a PL that can give me some direction I will be SLing. The game is a little overwhelming at first.
                              Proud to be Irregular

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...