Flying... joystick or mouse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying... joystick or mouse?

Trying my hand at flying in PS2 and would for sure prefer to use a joystick but it seems a bit wonky at the moment. I was curious how others were flying and what is recommended? Thanks!.
    Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Re: Flying... joystick or mouse?

I use a mouse. I have a G500 with customizable keys on the side, so I bound one of those keys to raise the nose of the aircraft. That way I can just roll the plane on its side and hold down on that key on my mouse, and I will be turning as quickly and smoothly as anybody with a joystick.
    May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

Comment

I'm one for 'authentic' controls. What ever that means... I tend not to fly in this game but I think with the proper control binds you could have a great flying experience. I personally flew in Project Reality with a Mouse + Joystick setup which was fun if a bit hard to adjust to (left handed mouse is weird).

Comment

Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
        I use a mouse. I have a G500 with customizable keys on the side, so I bound one of those keys to raise the nose of the aircraft. That way I can just roll the plane on its side and hold down on that key on my mouse, and I will be turning as quickly and smoothly as anybody with a joystick.
        My god, you're a genius. I need to try this.

Comment

i was thinking about trying a keyboard + joystick set up....
          joystick for turning/firing/switching weapons, and thrust
          keyboard for up/down
          |TG-Irr| di1lweed1212

Comment

I prefer the stick to the keyboard, but I have trouble with the roll mechanics. In all control schemes roll seems way too sensitive compared to the x and y axes. Also, the stick input makes station keeping all but impossible. Not sure why.
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

I've always been a joystick user, but something seems off for me in PS2 as well. I find the mouse controls actually work pretty well after I got used to them, though I initially hated them. I get better fine control for aiming with the mouse.

That said, I'm not much of a fighter jock. I'm speccing lightly into the Liberator for those times that TG wants to run air.
              Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                I prefer the stick to the keyboard, but I have trouble with the roll mechanics. In all control schemes roll seems way too sensitive compared to the x and y axes. Also, the stick input makes station keeping all but impossible. Not sure why.
                Are you checking your deadzone? Most if not all joysticks settle off center so a larger dead zone is necessary. Normally joysticks have their own software but I think PS2 comes with a joystick deadzone feature too.

Comment

I use the standard mouse+keyboard to fly. It was awkward at 1st but now its 2nd nature. The only problem is doing rolls, as my mouse mat is very small..lol
                  I do have a pc joypad with 2 sticks which could be individually mapped to aircraft but haven't tried it yet.

Comment

I've been trying with an XBOX 360 controller with the roll and pitch bound to the right stick and the climb and descend and yaw on the left stick, it works but the sensitivity does seem to be off with banking on it. Im better with the mouse at this point but i can see were the 360 controller could be better if we can adjust banking sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                      Are you checking your deadzone? Most if not all joysticks settle off center so a larger dead zone is necessary. Normally joysticks have their own software but I think PS2 comes with a joystick deadzone feature too.
                      I tried setting the deadzone super wide, but it's still reading input from somewhere, so the craft wobbles all over the place and tries to lift off even when I'm not touching it. I may turn the analog throttle off to prevent incidental input and just switch to +/- buttons for throttle.
                      For flight, I haven't found a comfortable deadzone yet. Too tight and I can't get precision aiming. Too wide, and control gets herky-jerky as the stick moves in and out of the zone. I wish I could set the sensitivity for each axis independently, so I could get precise x/z control for shooting and a little slower y to roll.
                      In game handle: Steel Scion
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm trying to work out the sensitivity issue as well using a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro. Using the in-game settings didn't really do anything so I went ahead and installed the Logitech game software for the joystick. The software has game profiles and the ability to adjust the dead zone/sensitivity on a per game basis which actually does effect the joystick in-game. I need to work with it a bit more but it seems to be helping.
                        Last edited by AstroCat; 11-28-2012, 10:27 AM.
                        Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

Check what astrocat did. Also the analog throttle is probably the issue. You need to dead zone that too.

Comment

The issue is not just no dead-zone, but there's no rate difference dependent on how far you've moved the stick, Its either ON or OFF. That makes it nearly impossible to fly from what I've experienced. Related to the on/off statement, there are no pitch/roll axis assignments, only pitch/roll key-binds.
                            Blackpython / ZephyrDark
                            Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Yeah the joystick support might just not be there yet, I guess I could try and learn with the mouse/keyboard... not my fav for flying but may be the only real option?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X