Quick Guide To Attacking or Defending a Base

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Guide To Attacking or Defending a Base

Could someone take a few minutes to give me some info on how to attack a base and the key elements of a base that need to be defended? I have played for only a very short time and I feel totally lost when I am on the ground as I don't know what to do.
    Proud to be Irregular

sigpic

Re: Quick Guide To Attacking or Defending a Base

Alright, quick and dirty overview.

The main mechanic involved in taking and defending bases are the capture points and the ticket system. The capture points are denoted with capital letters and capturing them, by simply standing close to them, will make you start gaining tickets in our favor shown by the little bars just above the minimap. In order to capture a base the tickets of the faction that is currently defending needs to be depleted, and after they reach 0 the attacking faction needs to gain enough tickets to fill the bar and capture the base.
    The speed at which you gain tickets depends on two things. Firstly it depends on influence. This simply means how many hexes bordering the territory belongs to each faction. The more friendly hexes, the faster you gain tickets. The second part is the number of people on the capture points up to a maximum of 6. In bases with only one point you need 6 people on the point to gain maximum speed, whereas in bases with 3 points you need 2 people on each. You can see the number of people under the letters above the minimap.

Apart from the main capturing mechanics, there are some other base mechanics thats important to know about when attacking or defending a base, and that is generators. These exists mainly at the large bases (Biolab, amp station and tech plant).
    The generators come in three different varieties. There is the vehicle shield generator, which is shown on your hud as a little shield with a tank inside. These control special shield at the base that blocks vehicles from going through. Infantry can fire and walk through these shields. This is the only type of generator that is found at towers and outposts.
    The second type of generator is the base shield generator. Thats shown on your hud as a shield with a weird thing inside of it. These control the inner base shields and the SCU shield. Enemy infantry cannot pass through these shields and keeping these up, or destroying them, is generally one of the most important tasks, often above holding the capture points.
    Lastly there is the spawn control unit(?) or SCU. This is shown on your hud as a triangle with a thing inside of it. This generator allows the defenders to spawn in the base. If it goes down the main spawn room will not be available to spawn at until it is back up. It cannot be accessed by enemy until the SCU shield generator goes down, and this is exactly why keeping those generators up is so important to base defense.

In order to destroy these generators you simply need to go up to it and hold E. This will initiate a timer and when that is over the generator will explode. While this timer is going the defenders can then go up to the generator and hold E as well in order to stabilize the generator and prevent the explosion.

In summary. When attacking blow up the generators and hold the capture points, and when defending keep the enemy from blowing up the generators and hold the capture points.

Comment

Feriluce nicely explained to you the capture mechanics. I'll comment on tactics, what do you get and what first? Do you all go for point "c"? Divide across all? Focus on spawncamping to cut reinforcements?

Currently main options are;
      -focus on A\B\C
      -spawncampÓng
      -Focus on generator
      -Zerg=all of the above

Now all the bases are different in terms of terrain.
      Every time you fight for a base the battle situation is unique.
      But I think you can find strategies for specific bases, and then adapt them to the combat situation.

All these variables make it a very interesting game tactically.
      -For example a base maybe overlooked by a good shooting position. If one of the teams can hold this position, all the capture mechanics are irrelevant.
      -One of the key mechanics for defense, as you get slowly pushed back and surrounded by the enemy, is to have forces spawn outside the conflict area to do raids on the enemy force from the outside, disrupting their attacking organisation by attacking Sunderers, spawns and reinforcements en route to the battle.
      ->< At the same time on other moments it can pay to get bottled up by the attackers, and lock them into a stalemate for as long as possible. If you manage to tie them down long enough, your team may get the space they need to cap all surrounding flags, thus making the enemy retreat from a fight they were winning. If they don't retreat they will get you, but they may lose even more.

This is all very interesting, and I'm always excited to see what a SL/PL's strategies will be. Zerging is disappointing though. I dislike attacking a base without being guided on HOW to capture it. Zerging works, but having a specific plan is much better, and much much more fun.

Comment

You missed a major defence/attack point. When attacking a base with a SCU/shields, i have seen squads just hold the capture point and flip the base. This also works for defence, as if you have your team split defending the generator, then attackers just take the capture points .

I.e in the Bio lab, you usually take the generator down, to drop the shield at the scu but i have seen squads who have just held A/B/C capture points and flipped the base.

Comment

Similar to Al's point about counter attacking a siege force, you can also try and disrupt their attack by challenging the hexes where the attackers are coming from. Try and bog them down there if you can to slow their resupply lines and take some pressure off your base. Sometimes, the enemy is so focused on getting into the fight at your base that you can slip folks into theirs and either flip the CP or start hacking their terminals or shutting down their shield generators, etc. General harrassment that will cause them to focus assets on defense. You could also send a couple of recons out to simply Q-spot enemies along the supply route, making it easier for your air/armor/inf to locate targets.

Comment

Originally posted by P.Drona View Post
            Similar to Al's point about counter attacking a siege force, you can also try and disrupt their attack by challenging the hexes where the attackers are coming from. Try and bog them down there if you can to slow their resupply lines and take some pressure off your base. Sometimes, the enemy is so focused on getting into the fight at your base that you can slip folks into theirs and either flip the CP or start hacking their terminals or shutting down their shield generators, etc. General harrassment that will cause them to focus assets on defense. You could also send a couple of recons out to simply Q-spot enemies along the supply route, making it easier for your air/armor/inf to locate targets.
            This ^^^^.

There is more than one way to skin a Vanu. It's warfare, in all it's facets, there is more to this game than simply zerging the objective (though that clearly can be an important tactic). A great couple of examples of how you can contribute to the war effort even in small groups or off the primary objective.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X