Mothership? Or Tease?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mothership? Or Tease?

Some of you may have heard my musings about how we need some big kind of mothership in PS2. A galaxy that can repair and rearm, can pick up tanks, .... All the BF2142 fans seem to get what I want.

Then minutes ago I see on Reddit...
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...xies_to_carry/

He is the lead man of the PS2 developement. I'm putting my money on him knowing better than to tease gaming fans. You don't want to be within 100 miles of an internetconnection when they go cold turkey!

My god this is exciting. If the game engine could possibly manage this... What couldn't it?!?!

*edit* While browsing the reddit thread, I noticed Higby (=Las0m on reddit and twitch) posted in the thread...not denying anything.

+ On an unrelated note. On the gamesradar twitch interview Higby said that VOIP was one of the things he himself had most attention for, he named it as the accomplishment he was most proud of.
    He also mentioned how many clans were much against it, even against it developement, with the usual stuff about how 3rd party is better. Higby put his foot down and went ahead with a complete voip system that is ahead of anything I've seen. (Don't mention Arma, whatever they did it was too bad for too long, and not usable at all.)

I can't tell you what a relief this is to me. The last few gaming titles I had looked forward too in part because they implemented voip poorly, half-heartedly. None surpassed BF2. I think PS2's system will surpass BF2 over time. Finally someone that can think in a braindead industry.

Re: Mothership? Or Tease?

Sure looks good.....

Comment

I have a feeling these will be Outfit 'owned' vessels. Imagine the Cert tree for captaining this thing...

My bet? Will be implemented in a year to a year and a half.

Comment

Mother of.... Can we PLEASE have a return of "Titan Mode" from BF2142. That would make PS2 the best game ever made. Just imagine those, whole platoons going at it on huge, moving battlefields. We'll need smaller squad sized (6-8 man) drop ships for assaulting these babies.
        Blackpython / ZephyrDark
        Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

These guys are too smart (devs) to let us see an ace like this without having the other three in their hand. They know pretty well by now that enticing gamers with something, and then not delivering, is PR suicide.

Man I wonder what else this engine can do. I cannot believe what an advance these guys created on a technological level. It is truely baffling. Not that I would have deemed it impossible 5 years ago, but it is baffling when you compare it with the polished turds the other companies have been trying to sell us since maybe bf2142, which had some other-than-cosmetic innovations still. Sur eArma2 has some considerable advancements, but they made no real advances in networking code. They mostly benifitted from the larger available bandwidths. It is just the SOE guys that wrote their engine with the right goals, thus giving them a revolutionary engine. And that from sony... it gives me a brain aneurysm trying to understand it.

Comment

MAX: "Sure is quiet here at Sungrey Amp Station."
            Engy: "Too quiet, if you ask me."
            MAX: "I got my AA rig, no worries."
            Engy: "Why is it dark now?"
            MAX: "Did your client just go all laggy?"
            *crosstalk*
            *massive explosions*
            Engy (in spawn room): "So, Esamir?"
            In game handle: Steel Scion
            sigpic

Comment

For a more detailed look at this monster, here's the deviant art profile of the ships concept artists.
              http://ukitakumuki.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5mojvr

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo288 View Post
                For a more detailed look at this monster, here's the deviant art profile of the ships concept artists.
                http://ukitakumuki.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d5mojvr
                I love this guy's concept art. I spent hours trawling through his PS2 pre-vis stuff back in beta after the NDA was lifted.

It's a shame nothing ever turns out as awesome as his concept images. He's got a great talent, both for his artistry and for writing practical technical fluff to go along with it.

Check out his badass Star Wars concepts too. Those stormtroopers look great! Long live the Emperor!
                Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Yeah great designer. I bet he's Japanese, his creations remind me of manga, they have a lot of typical JApanese techno-fantasy going on.

Comment

Looks more like a naval battle cruiser. Then again, it could be an aerial vehicle. Think Avengers.. or even Stargate since their battle cruiser spacecraft were based on naval ship design.

Comment

Don't forget Star Wars

Comment

I'm gonna play the Devil's Advocate and say something like this has no place in the current three continents, as they are simply too small. If we had a continent thrice the size, a capital ship of this style may be reasonable. For goodness sake, try fitting 10 liberators in your warpgate and it starts to feel crowded. We had 70 mossies at Esamir TR Warpgate at once yesterday and there was literally no room for armour or other air to land. How would a capital ship feel???

Something I could see being benefited from is a Galaxy+. That is to say, a Galaxy that carries twice the number of people. Even modern-day technology allows us to fit more than 12 people in a transport craft, so it's a little baffling that we only can fit 12. :heascratch:

Comment

I don't play the game all too much or at all since the beta,

I like the idea of it, but every game that has a large vehicle that people can fly around, you always have someone abuse it, or whom can't fly but takes it anyways and "wastes" it for everyone else.

To make it work, you would need a limit based on the maps size, and because of that you would need a way to control who can fly it, a Team vote or some such deal, much like the Commander in BF2.

Player J would like to be pilot for the Mothership, [y] Yes. [n] No. and then your team or platoon or whatever would be able to vote on it.

Comment

Lol guys..guys let's not worry about how they can screw it up yet. y'all are getting a little bit ahead of yourselves :p.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosati View Post
                              Don't forget Star Wars
                              I'm trying to think.. which ship on Star Wars are you referring to?

Edit: Ok, I see what you mean. I was thinking of the M. Falcon and the Death Star. lol.

Another interesting note.. I looked up the etymology of "navy" and "naval" and it really just pertains to ships, their fleet, and their crew-- and doesn't inherently refer to bodies of water. So, a space battleship really could be called naval. Just something I thought was interesting.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X